Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2007 Tacoma Double cab 4X4 sport and was wondering how it will be off roading compared to full size trucks. I never had a "small" V-6 powered truck before, and go hunting back in the boonedocks alot in the fall, and was looking for some fun with my new truck. Spring is near = alot of mud, what can i expect? The worst off road truck i had so far was a Dodge Cummings Diesel, due to its heavy front and street type tires. I'm hoping the weight of my taco will get me farther in the slop, even with the sport tires, than any other stock half ton off road 4X4 out there. Will the stock tires be alright, perfer the off roads BFG's but liked the sport package better. Anyone seen any mud runs with all these trucks that can let me know how my taco will fare? My brother had a nissan four banger once that ran circles around my K1500 chevy once as i was stuck in the snow in a hayfield, and he just kept on going!

·
Registered
355 Posts
check out my cardomain and you can see what my truck has been through stock...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just got a new 2007 Tacoma Double cab 4X4 sport and was wondering how it will be off roading compared to full size trucks. I never had a "small" V-6 powered truck before, and go hunting back in the boonedocks alot in the fall, and was looking for some fun with my new truck. Spring is near = alot of mud, what can i expect? The worst off road truck i had so far was a Dodge Cummings Diesel, due to its heavy front and street type tires. I'm hoping the weight of my taco will get me farther in the slop, even with the sport tires, than any other stock half ton off road 4X4 out there. Will the stock tires be alright, perfer the off roads BFG's but liked the sport package better. Anyone seen any mud runs with all these trucks that can let me know how my taco will fare? My brother had a nissan four banger once that ran circles around my K1500 chevy once as i was stuck in the snow in a hayfield, and he just kept on going!
The Sport Pgk does fine off-road. The LSD rear & better tires helps alot. Drove through 8 inches of untracked corn snow in 2wd the other day (for a mile) and through 1-2 ft of freshies many a time in 4wd in my buddy's field.

Few weeks back in a thaw, I went and cut a load of firewood on my neighbors hilly 200 acre farm. I almost got stuck on the hills a few times, but was impressed (and happy) I pulled through. Mind you this is in thawed, sticky, clay bottomed slop that most owners will never see. Awful stuff. 4lo, LSD rear, and snow tires do pretty well in the mud.

The stock tires (B-Stone H/T's or Dunlop AT20's) are the main issue. Fair in dry offroading, but in serious mud, they cake up easily. I would not have made it many times w/ stock treads. period. If you plan on serious off-roading, get better tires.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Taco with 3" lift and AT will get you way further then most of bigger trucks.Checked and tryed not once-it's thrue.But don't forget the old russian saying (will try to translate) "The bigger tires=the longest way to get the tractor" :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
My brother had a nissan four banger once that ran circles around my K1500 chevy once as i was stuck in the snow in a hayfield, and he just kept on going!

I think this would because of the tires he had on compared to the chevy. Tires are everything in the mud and snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts