Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 07' Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x2 V8 SB. The base MSRP is $28110 and with options it's around $31000. Edmunds has the invoice at $25439. I'm doing what a bunch of people have suggested and that's emailing a bunch of dealers within a 100 mile radius and letting them know that I'm ready to purchase at 4k off MSRP. I'm in no rush to buy so they can take it or make me an offer that they think is reasonable. The way I do the math that comes out to $1329 under invoice. I'm just wondering if I have a chance in hell at a dealer going for this deal. It can't hurt to ask to at least let me know where I stand. I've seen guys posting that they have purchased there truck for $4500 - $5000 under MSRP but maybe because they purchased loaded limited's at close to $45k and that's why they got the 4k to 5k under MSRP. Any thoughts on a starting negotiating point? Thx.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 07 DC 4x4 listed (with Line-X, Tinted Windows, SS Boards) at 34,500 (paid 29,500) and I was able to get (email/internet sales) 4K off with no questions from one dealer who wanted to make his monthly sales target.

Should be possible to do it again..Happy Hunting:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 07 DC 4x4 listed (with Line-X, Tinted Windows, SS Boards) at 34,500 (paid 29,500) and I was able to get (email/internet sales) 4K off with no questions from one dealer who wanted to make his monthly sales target.

That's what I needed to hear. Your truck is priced in the same ballpark as mine so I'm gonna go for 4k under invoice and see what happens. I'm not walking into a dealership until it's agreed to and they have the truck. Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts

This is a case where you can get a good deal. Dealer may lose on this sale but makes money hitting his sales target. This is just a matter of luck or good timing. Grinding away isn't likely to work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Exactly! I bought my truck on line/email via specs and price, sight un seen. I only drove it after they had preped it and before I signed the paperwork to take delivery. I have bought 3 other igh priced vehicles same way all with excellent results.

Good Luck.:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a case where you can get a good deal. Dealer may lose on this sale but makes money hitting his sales target. This is just a matter of luck or good timing. Grinding away isn't likely to work.
I agree 100%. However when contacting several dealers within 100 miles (I drove 40 miles) you have a pool to deal with and letting them know you can pull the trigger anytime it makes sense encourages those 'Sale' solutions more often than not.:cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's what I needed to hear. Your truck is priced in the same ballpark as mine so I'm gonna go for 4k under invoice and see what happens. I'm not walking into a dealership until it's agreed to and they have the truck. Thanks.
I think you're confusing invoice with MSRP. There's no way you'll get 4k under invoice!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you're confusing invoice with MSRP. There's no way you'll get 4k under invoice!
I'm not confused at all. I stated 4k under MSRP, which on the vehicle I'm looking at comes out to $1329 under voice.

Getting 4k under invoice is crazy. Who's saying that?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not confused at all. I stated 4k under MSRP, which on the vehicle I'm looking at comes out to $1329 under voice.

Getting 4k under invoice is crazy. Who's saying that?
I quoted you in my msg above...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You did, probably by mistake. In any case, local dealers are advertising $4K - $4200 off MSPR on double and crew cabs. Should not be hard to get.
Havn't seen that in Northern CA. Maybe I should be asking for 5k off MSRP then. Thx.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't make offers. That just limits you. Ask for bids and go with the cheapest dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
IMO you are dealing from a point of weakness if your discussions are talking a dealer down from MSRP. If you have done your homework and have the Invoice price information, all your discussions should be based on the invoice price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've found some dealers will negotiate on their bid price, others won't. You can ask them for a price and then counter offer, but that takes a long time. If you want a certain price and would be happy with it, then ask for that price. The dealer might be fine with it and then you both end up happy.
That's why you tell them you are contacting a limited number of dealers and will be going with the lowest bid. Probably doesn't work so well if you don't want to order and need a specific configuration

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agree with others. Any discussion on price negotiating should be done in relationship to invoice, and invoice only. Remember that the dealer is getting the factory to dealer incentive of cash plus any holdback. At invoice price they are still making plenty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm looking at an 07' Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x2 V8 SB. The base MSRP is $28110 and with options it's around $31000. Edmunds has the invoice at $25439. I'm doing what a bunch of people have suggested and that's emailing a bunch of dealers within a 100 mile radius and letting them know that I'm ready to purchase at 4k off MSRP. I'm in no rush to buy so they can take it or make me an offer that they think is reasonable. The way I do the math that comes out to $1329 under invoice. I'm just wondering if I have a chance in hell at a dealer going for this deal. It can't hurt to ask to at least let me know where I stand. I've seen guys posting that they have purchased there truck for $4500 - $5000 under MSRP but maybe because they purchased loaded limited's at close to $45k and that's why they got the 4k to 5k under MSRP. Any thoughts on a starting negotiating point? Thx.

I think so, my truck (07, CMAX, 4x4 TRD, 5.7) MSRP was 38,910. I paid 34,220. Which was just a hint over invoice according to the vehicle inquiry report.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Before any rebates or cash allowances, I think $2500-3000 off MSRP on a SR5 2WD is more than fair. (of course this all depends on which truck and it's options). I've heard of people getting $6000 off MSRP, but it's because they received $3000 in rebates in addition to the $3000 discount Edmunds' invoice is so far off whack, don't waste your time messing with it. (especially in GST & SET). I've also found that the lowest price dealers can sometimes give the worst service. I'd buy from the guy with a fair price and that will also give me good service. In the past, I've paid more for the vehicle than I would have somewhere else. However, I was treated well before and after the sale.

Also, I advise buyers not to get too greedy on a rare truck that happens to be in dealer stock. I've seen it happen where a buyer works the dealer hard and walks out thinking he's gonna win. The guy comes back the next day only to find out another buyer happily paid more for the same rare truck. I'm sure it sucks going back to square one. Especially when the buyer's desired truck was right there for the taking. I'm a sincere believer that some customers over educate themselves to the point where they talk themself out a deal. No matter how hard any customer tries, you won't out smart the dealer. That is unless you are buying from some tote-the-note lot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts