Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
New Guy here, Got a couple questions.... First, the truck is a 2000 Access Cab Tundra BONE STOCK. I know I know...as soon as I get back from Afghanistan I will definately be changine that. Mechanically the truck is a rock. However, the interior is trashed! THe guy was obviously a smoker and a first class SLOB! Pretty much everything on the inside is damages and faded and all around SH!TTY. Since its trashed, I am contemplating changine the color of EVERYTHING. The color now is that brown everybody knows and loves but since the truck is white I would like to black out everything. This is my dilema.
1: Is there any way to change the color of my Dash other than replacement?
2: Is there such a thing as a 2000 tundra with a black Dash?
3: If yes, how much work are we talking when it comes to a full dash replacement?
(I've torn them out for my race car but I wasn't nice about it and didn't much care if I damaged it to where another Dash would never be mounted again since I jsut went with an Aluminum plate for the bare essentials)

Any and all experiances, info, and advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It can be done...lots of work. The key is to get everything very very clean using a wax and silicone remover solvent. You can get interior paint at some parts stores or you can have an automotive paint shop mix up the dye for you. I've done it a couple of times with good results. Don't skimp on your materials. I use a HVLP gun and mix the components.

To be honest, for your situation, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. When I've done it, I've taken everything out and apart, including the dash. I would think a good job on a Tundra Access Cab would take 20 to 30 hours. You might be surprised how clean and nice you can get the current setup with the right product and lots of elbow grease.

Good luck. Stay safe over there!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought an 03 center console cheap from a junkyard that was charcoal gray. I had a body shop dye it to match my gray interior. It looked good but has a few scuffs mainly from my kids. The color underneath shows thru. Being a gray on gray is not that noticible. Brown underneath black may be a little more noticible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey All,
Thanks for the replys. I wonder, would pulling out the dash and replacing it with a new/different one be out of the question? I would imagine it would be alot of work but if I could find one from a wrecking yard or a Salvage title Tundra. Do you know what colors were available as far as interior and also what years of dash would fit the 2000 chassis. I know 1st Gen is from 2000-2005 but not sure the dashes would be interchangeable. Not to mention the door pannels and other plastic pieces. I agree that some elbow grease and some IDUSTRIAL strength cleaner would probably go a long ways but if I could get away with the color change I would liketo go that route. Does anybody know of a thread on here about dash removal?

Again Tanks for the help...
Danny

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Call around & see if you can find a car restoration place in town. They may beable to provide some suggestions you have not thought of or even dye it in place ,so it appears new.

·
Registered
910 Posts
There are multiple challenges to this, one being that in order to really do a nice job, you'll have to somehow pull the passenger side airbag flap apart to get the edges of that flap properly covered.

Pulling the dash is probably a 5+ hour job...putting it back may take longer.

I don't think you could satisfactory dye the dash in-place unless you pulled the windshield.

Download the FSM and see what it says about pulling a dash...if anything. Not something that's done very often.

For used parts, look at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. I doubt you'll see a dash listed on there, but you never know. I wish you could just search that site for specific whole vehicles...

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
1: In my opinion attempts at a DIY color change with the dash in place will yield problematic results. It could be done but you will have to look at this every time you drive the truck.

I could not find any after market replacement from Coverlay for a 2000 Tundra. Togman mentioned a restoration shop or maybe an upholstery shop could offer some advice on restoring what you have. A detail shop can make suggestions on whether or not your existing interior is salvageable.

2: Interior colors for this year were: Gray (dark) Light Charcoal (light gray) and Oak (brown) no black.

3: From what I've seen in the FSM, dash R&R is a ton of work. A salvage yard will charge accordingly for their labor in removing a salvage part if indeed one is available. If farmed out this could be a very expensive project. The remainder of the interior work should be fairly routine to remedy. It all depends on how much you're wiling to spend on a ten year old truck and if you plan to hold on to it.

Not saying it can't be done just be prepared for some very involved disassembly if you decide to replace the dash. Best of luck on your project.

God bless and take care over there. My son left in August for his third tour of Iraq.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey All,

Well, however discouraging, I have to take my hat off to you guys....I really appreciate your help...As of now, I will probably leave it brown but try too get rid of the wood grain and scub everything until its somewhat back to normal....As far as me keeping the truck, definately...I've had the same toyota pickup since highschool and I don't plan on getting rid of that one either...unless Momma puts her foot through the floor. As far as the wood grain, has anyone messed with the replacements? I've researched and all I can find is the stuff thats connected with the 3M tape. Not sure that will hold up and look stock especially since I'm out of Alaska. Does anyone have any pictures or thoughts on this. Again, thanks for all the help. And thank you for all the best wishes....almost done.......should be back at the house in about a month, or thats the latest! Hopefully! HA
Danny

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used Plasti-Kote on the seats and door panels of a VW transporter with excellent results. It was extremely durable. I found it at Wal-Mart but it has been several years. Dupli-Color and others also make Vinyl Dyes. Just google "Vinyl Dye."

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
There are many specialty shops that do this type of work. Just check the web. Phoenix Imaging showed up in an old thread about this subject but I don't know of anyone who has utilized their services so I can't vouch for the quality of their work.

Some of the early Limited Tundras had wood grain center bezel and arm rest pieces from the factory. I found this image on the web of a 2002 Limited.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
You could have a custom shop change it or paint. I am not sure what they do when they color match the interior to the exterior. If you love the truck that much, then I would go the custom route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts