Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah... its safe. Your Tundra won't even know its behind you.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Yer good to go

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use to pull that with my Tacoma with nothing more than the trucks brakes. Like everyone else has said: Your good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tow almost 6000 lbs, once, the brakes didn't work, bad plug. Took longer to stop, but was managable. 2500 lbs?, No problem! No worries..

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I actually have a 14 ft single axle trailer, and i tow it with three atvs on it all the time. I have towed it to Windrock (about a 350 mile round trip) several times at interstate speeds with no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I tow a tandem axle trailer without brakes with a bunch of off-road goodies on it, weight is about 4000 lbs plus two dirtbikes and gear in the bed. The truck still stops on a dime, you just have to push a bit harder on the petal :)

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
GWVR on the 5X8 U-haul trailers is 2700lbs and they don't have brakes. I'm shure that a lot of poeple overload them and tow with lesser vehicles.

·
Registered
570 Posts
sure, it will tow it. Here is the thing, though. A nice Tekonsha controller in under $100. Why mess with safety or laws or physics to save $100? The truck is pre-wired for it, and you can set one up in an hour.

there are a lot of things you could do. You could punch a UFC fighter in the face. You could tow 10,000 pounds without an electronic brake... but why take that risk? Doesn't make it a good idea. Something else to consider is the laws. Now, not getting pulled over... but if you do get into an accident and it appears you were towing over your limit... now you are culpable. That could be anywhere from a reckless driving ticket, to someone suing your azz off.

So, really, is that worth saving $100?

·
Registered
987 Posts
sure, it will tow it. Here is the thing, though. A nice Tekonsha controller in under $100. Why mess with safety or laws or physics to save $100? The truck is pre-wired for it, and you can set one up in an hour.

there are a lot of things you could do. You could punch a UFC fighter in the face. You could tow 10,000 pounds without an electronic brake... but why take that risk? Doesn't make it a good idea. Something else to consider is the laws. Now, not getting pulled over... but if you do get into an accident and it appears you were towing over your limit... now you are culpable. That could be anywhere from a reckless driving ticket, to someone suing your azz off.

So, really, is that worth saving $100?
Sure for $100.00 he can get a controller, but he doesn't mention if the trailer even has brakes. It might cost more than that.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'm not sure about every state, but I think in the manual it says anything over 1,000 lbs requires brakes. But, like others have said, functionally it isn't a problem for this truck... if you're really concerned, just give yourself some extra room in front of you and be careful if you have to hit the brakes while turning...

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
So many variables for such a short question.
If it is your trailer and you plan on doing this more than once, then yeah, get the brakes. Are you traveling in the hills? even more so.
With that much weight, you will feel it. If you don't, you need to pay more attention. your truck will stop slower, extra brakes could make all the difference whether you need a rental car while yours is being repaired.
If this is only a short trip twice a year and you drive more cautiously, then maybe you need not bother.

·
Registered
151 Posts
GWVR on the 5X8 U-haul trailers is 2700lbs and they don't have brakes. I'm shure that a lot of poeple overload them and tow with lesser vehicles.
Actually U-Haul and other trailer rentals usually are equipped with Surge brakes that apply hydraulic pressure to brakes based on pressure from the weight of the trailer against the surge controller mounted on the tongue of the trailer right at the hitch. Effective but a real pain for backing and not independently controllable going down steep grades so you need to make sure you cut your speed prior to descending and use engine braking. Which is good advice regardless of the brake system (if any) of any trailer.:D

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know that when I was looking at buying a enclosed trailer, brakes didn't come on them until you hit 3,000# GVW. I ended up buying a used 7X16 tandem axle with electric brakes. I did once tow it with a 2003 Tacoma that didn't have a brake controller. I know I shouldn't have but I was in a jam and needed to move it. I just drove very careful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts