Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth doing anything to my tundra? I have a 2000 RED Tundra AccessCab, 230k miles on it. Thinking about lifting, new exhaust, stuff like that. Do you guys think it is worth it?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
You probly wouldn't get much if you tried to sell it or trade it in. I'd mod it up and drive the mofo til the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, No dealer wants to touch it at over 200k. I got it for cheap from a neighbor, so I was just wondering. What mod's do you think I should do?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If the engine dies buy a new engine and keep on rollin'.

As for the mods its up to you.....you already said lift / exhaust, so start there. ;)

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I'd keep it stock and put money in the repair piggy bank. If you want so much get new shocks/struts better tires, stereo if you like. Lift in this truck will not add any value, make handling worse. Best mod would be rear anti sway bar - ~200$-250$. Thats next on my list together with true track diff :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll throw up some pics of my red Tundra tomorrow. I'd start with a really good wash and wax and then do whatever you want. I lifted mine, put on nice exhaust, painted some stuff, tinted the windows, and hooked up a nice sound system. Look at peoples signatures and see what they did for an idea of things you could do. A cold air intake doesn't really add performance but it will make the 4.7 V8 sound like a beast! Very fun trucks and good in the mud, in case you want to put some meaty tires on too :tu: Congrats on the good buy! :tu:

·
Registered
126 Posts
And same here, when my engine craps out, you can bet I'll be hooking up a new (well used, but new to me) engine and hitting the road again. You'd be surprised how little you can get a good engine for at junkyards and what not.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not if he has a 2wd & an open diff.
Hey, I've taken mine in the mud before and it did very well... but I was also going pretty quick and never let off the gas! Haha....
All of my mods have definitely been worth it. Just remember that if you're going to lift your truck, it's only worth it if you do it right!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I'd be saving up to put a gm performance crate engine in it when the stocker dies plus a hd gm tranny behind it not to mention a heavier rear end but that's just me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i've always thought the Tundra gear ratio works great in the mud. I only throw mine in 4hi when its swampy

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i've always thought the Tundra gear ratio works great in the mud. I only throw mine in 4hi when its swampy

Do you have a LSD :confused:? Not sure of the years but I know some 4wd Tundras come w/ LSDs which would help in slippery situations.

2wd with open diffs can barely go though wet grass let alone mud. I guess if youre gunning it you can make it through but if youre like me and were in a field and didnt know theres mud until its too late your SOL. :devil:

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I would only put a dual exhaust setup on it. Also I would save some money up for the just in case something breaks.

Chris

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Off topic, I've had fun in the mud and I think tires make a huge difference in that kind of terrain. Technique is important too, not slowing down and not getting into deep mud is key with open diff 2wd. I got stuck twice but had lots of fun not getting stuck.

On topic, this really is up to you. To be honest, you are asking the WRONG crowd as many of us have more invested in mods than our trucks would return on a sale. I'd do it again.

Some advice: stay away from CAI, not enough bang for the buck. If you are capable, slap some headers on first, this will make it feel new again. Then change the muffler, not the whole exhaust. This will make the sound you want and save the money you want, just re use the stock pipe(unless you have the cash to go all out). If you want to change the y-pipe, go for it. I'm debating on this myself, got a look at how crimped it is recently when I removed the resonator. As far as lifting, check the sticky's from DEVINSIXTYSEVIN in the off road forum before you decide on what route to take. It may save you from either destroying your truck or going a route that doesn't suit your needs. That thread is priceless.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-roading/15623-tundra-offroad-mods-and-tech/ that's the priceless thread
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...7499-how-properly-built-exhaust-system-works/ There's one for exhaust education.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...ystems/185015-full-exhaust-32-dyno-proven-hp/ Here is another good read, I want one of these mufflers, just waiting for the extra cash.:nod:

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts