Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in denial lately, but I think the symptoms are progressive. What started as a rare noise is becoming something I hear often, almost daily. If I'm driving, anywhere over 50 mph, and let off the gas I get sounds. Ugly sounds. Sometimes it just seems to hum loud while the truck is decelerating, other times it clunks like it downshifted while decelerating, and other times it makes a sort of chatter that sounds like a can dancing in the bed. All of these sounds seem to come from the rear end, and all happen when I decelerate from a speed above 50. Noise comes at the transition from acceleration to deceleration. Seems to last a very short time and goes away.

Now, I haven't looked into my rear brakes, been close to 3 years since I did. While I would be hopeful the noise is coming from them, the things that set the sounds off make me think rear end. My center carrier bearing for the driveshaft is pretty worn, and I can't rule that out. Haven't checked the breather on the rear end either.:dry3d:

However, I keep imagining in my head that when I'm driving with foot on gas, the load on the teeth of my ring/pinion is on one side of the teeth. I think maybe there's too much play from wear and maybe when I decelerate, that load that would be on one side of the gear teeth is shifted to the other side and the sound I hear is the gear mesh grinding itself. Does that sound logical to anyone?

I suppose I should look for a spare third member soon and replace this one before it explodes somewhere. :beatsme:I do have my Kazuma sitting around, so of course that needs to get in. I'm going to swap the fluid out of my rear end tomorrow. Just to see if it comes out looking like metallic silver paint. If so, maybe my rear end just want's some attention since it's received no mods. :angrywife: Rear ends need lovin too. :pound:

Now, go ahead and make some :beavbutt:comments about my rear end making noises, checking the lube in my rear end, sticking my finger in the hole in my rear end, etc. gave you plenty ammo! :devil:

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
The proof will be in the oil.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the jokes begin! :heh:

·
Registered
135 Posts
All jokes aside,sounds like your carrier bearing is toast or a bad u-joint. the ring and pinion gears in the rear end are pretty stout and will stand quite a bit of abuse.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think so? My carrier bearing is pretty worn looking, has some cracks in it. As I stated in a different thread I can wiggle my shaft pretty easy.:pound: I've been thinking of replacing it but my imagination keeps saying rear end.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Doesn't that apply to everyone?
Yes but really only if you're around 50yrs old, then every 5yrs after that!:eek:

Give your rear end a once over there drunk. Make sure you wipe all the crap off your rear end before you start!:D

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do! Must remove all mud from my rear end before I go filling it with lube. Check. :pound:

·
Registered
741 Posts
subscibing to this thread lmao :heh:

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Rear ends need lovin too. :pound:

Now, go ahead and make some comments... gave you plenty ammo! :devil:
LMAO! Very creative choice of words in the whole post. Nothing more to say, and yes, you
provided great ammo!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Time FOR an ARB locker.
And a re-gear while you're at it. :D

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
For proper diagnostics, we need to know what you do and how often to cause damage to your rear end. Hauling logs in the back can cause a lot of damage. It wasn't really designed for that.
You may need to get a second opinion from someone close to you. Have him stick his head down there with a big flashlight or even better, one of those big flood lights and put your rear through it paces.
Finding a rear end that has not been abused might be difficult if you live in an area where lots of rear end abuse occurs.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Diagnosis foiled by laughter. :lol:

Your truck has ass cancer. A full ass transplant, Terence & Philip style, is highly recommended.

Bearings, or R&P...but R&P don't just foul up, unless the fluid was never changed and it's full of metal or something, so if the R&P are making the noise, I'd check the bearings...and you're right, the best solution is just replace the 3rd member.

It might be something you can get from a junkyard...YMMV.

You don't have LSD in your rear end, do you?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
For proper diagnostics, we need to know what you do and how often to cause damage to your rear end. Hauling logs in the back can cause a lot of damage. It wasn't really designed for that.
You may need to get a second opinion from someone close to you. Have him stick his head down there with a big flashlight or even better, one of those big flood lights and put your rear through it paces.
Finding a rear end that has not been abused might be difficult if you live in an area where lots of rear end abuse occurs.
I agree with SE, the frequency of use and what you put in your rear end will determine overall wear and tear. A valued second opinion is a must.

Insert member here.

I also did not start this thread.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No LSD in my rear end, but I'm planning on putting it there. I've had this LSD sitting in my garage, waiting. I guess getting a less abused but used member is on the list, and moved to high priority. As for abuse of my rear end, the 11.25" meats don't help much, and the 33" diameter only make things worse. Playing in dirt, rain, random burn outs when darting out of driveways, driving off curbs, stuff like that. I did find when I swapped my fluid today, the case made a hissing sound for days when I started backing the fill plug out. I couldn't tell if my rear end was sucking or blowing, I'm guessing my breather just isn't breathing. I doubt my rear end is supposed to hiss like that. Time for that mod too. Also there was some significant metallic looking crap stuck to the drain plug, about the look and consistency of anti seize. Can't be a good sign, but not much I can do for tonight. Changed fluid, drove, didn't hear much after it warmed up. Planning on letting Uncle Sam sort this one out soon.

I guess I did start this thread. :heh:

Oh yeah, by the way! I found a moron proof way to find out if you have LSD or not! This will end all further "do I have LSD" threads. The unmistakable, undeniable, unarguable, unbelievable, uncelebrated method of determining if you do or do not have LSD.....

pull the fill plug and look! DUH! :facepalm:

If you have LSD you will see something that looks like a cylinder. If you have an open diff, you will see a set of gears.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Here is the saga of my own rear-end maintenance from a few years ago:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-topic/148834-rite-of-passage/

When I had mine last year I was laying there facing this cute young nurse and when she finished injecting the joy juice (versed and morphine) I looked into her sweet face and said seriously, "Did I remember to tell you I am allergic to versed?" she panicked for a second then i told her I was joking. It is probably a good thing i dont remember what happened after that. :D

1 - 20 of 111 Posts