Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the cold air intake offered by Toyota. Will it significantly help gas mileage and power? Or is it better to get an after market air filter like the KNN? Any info would be great!:ts:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an AEM on my FJ and have used KNN as well, really there isn't that much difference in performance. Are you doing exhaust as well?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
run a search here at tsforums. youll find intakes dont do much but worsen your mpg. save your money for forced induction, not bling bling. ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
you might get a few extra ponies above 5k rpm, if you are looking for more mpg, don't bother, bottom line, that factory air intake is supplying more than enough air to that engine.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Save your money!!! One of the worst mods I have done to my truck. I lost power and gas mileage.:td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you might get a few extra ponies above 5k rpm, if you are looking for more mpg, don't bother, bottom line, that factory air intake is supplying more than enough air to that engine.
OK. Should I then go with a KNN oiled air filter or a replaceable paper? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Save your money!!! One of the worst mods I have done to my truck. I lost power and gas mileage.:td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td:
OK. Thanks for the input. Its sounding like the cold air intake is not the way to go. Any thoughts for gas mileage aside from the usual air pressure and good driving habits? Thanks again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
if you want to see more power at higher rpms from this mod go with headers and catbakc also.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
OK. Should I then go with a KNN oiled air filter or a replaceable paper? Thanks for your input.
Stick with a stock intake and a stock filter. Don't even get a TRD filter.

Save your money for a set of headers and a decent exhaust system.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have had the K&N and the AEM intakes all they did was make alot of noise in the cab. Milage and low end went in the toilet. Headers, a good cat back system and the ASP under drive pully are the best power mods that are out there. The factory intake with a good filter is all that is needed, be careful of the K&N drop in if it is over oiled then it will mess with your Mass Air Flow sensor.

·
Registered
877 Posts
tips from a senior citizen; buy the trd exhaust and use 87 octane. bank'

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I have a Borla catback 2-1-2 straight out the back. It is a beast of the truck, but I am greedy without the funds for a supercharger. Headers are a possibility. Is this mod something that can be done at home? If I do the headers, will a CAI be beneficial at that point or still a waste of money?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2006 Tundra regular cab I have the Jba header's and the true flow air intake . I noticed the difference right away. Before I made the mod's to my truck the transmission was alaway's shifting . I like the true flow air intake because I kept the stock air box and I now have a foam air filter that I can clean when it get's Dirty. I do not know for sure but somebody on here said trueflow went out of Business. If you do header's and closed box cold air intake it will wake the truck up. I also had the local exhaust shop put on a magana flow muffler. The tran's Is now shifting like it should. More air in and out of the motor = more horse power. good luck with your mods.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I have a 2006 Tundra regular cab I have the Jba header's and the true flow air intake . I noticed the difference right away. Before I made the mod's to my truck the transmission was alaway's shifting . I like the true flow air intake because I kept the stock air box and I now have a foam air filter that I can clean when it get's Dirty. I do not know for sure but somebody on here said trueflow went out of Business. If you do header's and closed box cold air intake it will wake the truck up. I also had the local exhaust shop put on a magana flow muffler. The tran's Is now shifting like it should. More air in and out of the motor = more horse power. good luck with your mods.
I am running the True Flow intake with the foam filter as well. Previous to that I ran the K&N drop in for 16,000 miles. The K&N came out looking like it did when it went in - brand new. The True Flow was filthy after 6,000 miles which tells me that it does a better job of filtering. I also noticed that with the K&N my oil was dirtier than it is with the True Flow. I heard that True Flow went out of business too which is a shame because my personal experience is that they make an excellent product.

Going to do headers next when I get some money and breathing room. Already running a modified exhaust comprised of a glass pack in place of the resonator, an Aero Turbine, and splits into foolies out to opposite bumper corners. I do not know what my horsepower or torque numbers are but the truck runs out great. I top 18+ MPG on the freeway at 75 MPH in a four speed automatic, four wheel drive Double Cab with regularity.

My recommendation would be to go with a good foam filter (wet or dry) with the stock set-up. Bear in mind that what you can ingest needs to be gotten rid of with equal efficiency. Intakes and headers need to be able to work with a good exhaust.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
One of my first posts here was the same discussion; about the (very pretty) Injen system.
According to their own Dyno chart, the performance doesn't even begin until 2,500 RPM.
Look at your tachometer at the speeds you normally drive at. You'll discover that all the legal speeds have your engine running comfortably at 2,000 RPM.
I also thought about doing the entire exhaust and intake route. I decided that $2,000.00 buys a whole lot of gas...., especially since my goal is better MPG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts