Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed all these posts about people who don't fit in the new Tundra's. I believe them, and am curious as to why that could be. You see I'm 6 foot even and feel like I have tons of head room. But then I've been driving a WRX and Montero Sport, both which have less headroom.

So I did a bit of research. The new Tundra clearly has the least headroom of all the big 1500 sized trucks out there and has about an inch less than the old model. But that being said it has the same or more headroom than many of the "regular" cars and suvs out there. Some examples:

2007 Toyota Tundra 40.20
2007 Toyota Camry 37.90
2007 Ford 500 39.40
2007 VW Touareg 38.70
2007 Mazda 6 38.00
2007 Dodge Magnum 38.40
2007 Chevy Trailblazer 40.20

Now you can go find vehicles that have more, but you can find many more that have less. So my question is, is the problem really with the fact that people don't fit at all in the Tundra (like their head touches the roof), or is it a visiblity issue (meaning they gave you the space to fit but once up that high you can't see), or is it something else completely?

While I don't understand Toyota's thinking in making the truck bigger in nearly every dimesion and yet reducing the headroom by an inch, it seems most people, even taller ones should be able to fit in there. Obviously I'm wrong, I just don't get why, when so many other cars out there have so much less room.

Someone please enlighten me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I've noticed all these posts about people who don't fit in the new Tundra's. I believe them, and am curious as to why that could be. You see I'm 6 foot even and feel like I have tons of head room. But then I've been driving a WRX and Montero Sport, both which have less headroom.

So I did a bit of research. The new Tundra clearly has the least headroom of all the big 1500 sized trucks out there and has about an inch less than the old model. But that being said it has the same or more headroom than many of the "regular" cars and suvs out there. Some examples:

2007 Toyota Tundra 40.20
2007 Toyota Camry 37.90
2007 Ford 500 39.40
2007 VW Touareg 38.70
2007 Mazda 6 38.00
2007 Dodge Magnum 38.40
2007 Chevy Trailblazer 40.20

Now you can go find vehicles that have more, but you can find many more that have less. So my question is, is the problem really with the fact that people don't fit at all in the Tundra (like their head touches the roof), or is it a visiblity issue (meaning they gave you the space to fit but once up that high you can't see), or is it something else completely?

While I don't understand Toyota's thinking in making the truck bigger in nearly every dimesion and yet reducing the headroom by an inch, it seems most people, even taller ones should be able to fit in there. Obviously I'm wrong, I just don't get why, when so many other cars out there have so much less room.

Someone please enlighten me.
It's the body PROPORTIONS - not just the height, and the specs don't really tell the story completely .....

For example - I'm about 6' but have a 29" inseam (short legs, long torso). Newer Toyota's have been nicely fitted for more AVERAGE torsos. Honestly, I just can't see well out of the windshield in a new 4-Runner or Tacoma - my eyes are about even with the TOP of the glass. My '05 Tundra fits PERFECTLY, but my seat is as low as it can go. Sunroofs drop an inch or two off the top and make this worse ...

Haven't driven an '07 yet (afraid I won't be able to resist!)

BUT, In a related post, Gary45 lowered the seat in his new Tundra for $150. Hopefully he'll soon tell us all how he did it, share this knowledge with the world of long-torso dudes, and continue the Tundra solutions forum tradition of enlightenment.

AND finally allow anyone who mentions this issue to be directed to a SOLUTION.

(instead of just calling 'em all trolls)....

I'll bet such knowledge would be useful to dealers and salesmen as well. If a prospective buyer complains about headroom - tell 'em you can fix it. Maybe even throw in the simple mod to close a sale....

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
It's the body PROPORTIONS - not just the height, and the specs don't really tell the story completely .....

For example - I'm about 6' but have a 29" inseam (short legs, long torso). Newer Toyota's have been nicely fitted for more AVERAGE torsos. Honestly, I just can't see well out of the windshield in a new 4-Runner or Tacoma - my eyes are about even with the TOP of the glass. My '05 Tundra fits PERFECTLY, but my seat is as low as it can go. Sunroofs drop an inch or two off the top and make this worse ...

Haven't driven an '07 yet (afraid I won't be able to resist!)

BUT, In a related post, Gary45 lowered the seat in his new Tundra for $150. Hopefully he'll soon tell us all how he did it, share this knowledge with the world of long-torso dudes, and continue the Tundra solutions forum tradition of enlightenment.

AND finally allow anyone who mentions this issue to be directed to a SOLUTION.

(instead of just calling 'em all trolls)....

I'll bet such knowledge would be useful to dealers and salesmen as well. If a prospective buyer complains about headroom - tell 'em you can fix it. Maybe even throw in the simple mod to close a sale....
Yep, exactly...length of torso and length of legs are the key...not overall height...I'm 5'10"...IF I had a 13" inseem, the headliner would be too low for me...not to mention that my stubby legs would never reach the pedals.:D

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am 5'10" also and I don't have any problem fitting in the Tundra. Maybe guys that are 6'5" might but then I have to wonder if any vehicle is comfortable for someone that big. If we are talking big and obese then they don't fit in anything well either. If you can't see the top of your belt buckle it isn't the Tundra that is too small, your gut is too big. If the FAA requires you to have a rotating beacon on your belly button you need to lose weight.:D

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'm 6'5" and have no problems at all, though I can't get a sunroof because that lowers the ceiling about 1" to 2". Funny that out of all the trucks, it was the F150 that had my hair grazing the roof. Not only should you take into account the person's height and torso/leg proportions, but also the slant/tilt of the seat and general positioning overall.
I find it difficult to believe that somebody that is almost half a foot shorter than me would have difficulty fitting, but if that is the case, it will be difficult with almost everything except maybe a minivan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts