Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Sequoia a 300K mile vehicle?

Hello -

I'm in the market for a SUV - used. I've owned many toyota / lexus models over the last 15 years and they've all have been wonderful to me. I'm deciding between a Lexus LX470 and a 2008-2010 Sequoia, probably a limited or platinum model with 4x4 and the 5.7. I had a 2007 tundra DC with the 5.7 and really liked the engine. I currently have a Lexus LS430 that has 155K and still drives and feels like a new car. I plan on hanging on to this next purchase for ~5-7 years. I loved the engine and size of the sequoia, especially with the rear captains chairs.

My concern is whether the sequoia is made for the long haul - this isn't really based on any empirical knowledge but rather "feel". My tundra was nice but I sold it around 50K - my previous 4runners (1996 and 2001) both went 150K without so much as a hiccup. The tundra was great power wise, but I sold it too early to really get a feel for the longevity of it. The LX470 is pretty bullet proof and rides nice and smooth - it lacks the power and room of the sequoia, but I know it's going to be around for the long haul. If I were to buy the sequoia, it would most likely be a 2008 with 90-100K on her. The Lexus would be a 2003-2005 with approx. the same mileage. Also of concern is the 4WD system - the lexus is full-time 4x4 while I know the sequoia has to be switched when needed - the only issue that I have with this is that this will be primarily for my wife and the kids and I sometimes wonder if perm 4x4 isn't a bit safer for her since she doesn't need to worry about switching it on should conditions warrant it.

I'm hoping those of you who have had your sequoia for awhile or with over 100K can share your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your time.

Brian

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Is the Sequoia a 300K mile vehicle?

I bought a 2010 Sequoia Platinum thinking it would be a more economical choice instead of the Land Cruiser I really wanted.

Long story short - I traded in the Sequoia on a 2013 Land Cruiser with the 5.7L engine and kick myself every day for not buying the Land Cruiser in the first place.

If I were you, I'd look at 200 Series Land Cruisers or LX570's which have the 5.7L engine. They are made in Japan while the Sequoias are all made in the US. For longevity, I'd definitely stick with the Made in Japan choices.

:tu:

·
Registered
203 Posts

I bought a 2010 Sequoia Platinum thinking it would be a more economical choice instead of the Land Cruiser I really wanted.

Long story short - I traded in the Sequoia on a 2013 Land Cruiser with the 5.7L engine and kick myself every day for not buying the Land Cruiser in the first place.

If I were you, I'd look at 200 Series Land Cruisers or LX570's which have the 5.7L engine. They are made in Japan while the Sequoias are all made in the US. For longevity, I'd definitely stick with the Made in Japan choices.

That is interesting why they make the Cruisers in Japan but not the Sequoias. I would think no matter where they are assembled, they are still built with the same Toyota parts and built to Toyota's standard. But maybe I am wrong. I have a 2013 SR5 and am looking for this to last over 200K miles.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How do you keep leather seating in nice condition for that many miles?
lots of TLC!!! It also depends on how much wear and tear it has to endure. I have 3 kids with car seats and sliding in and out with jeans and wet swim suits, so we will see for me. I had my leather done aftermarket with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Hello -

I'm in the market for a SUV - used. I've owned many toyota / lexus models over the last 15 years and they've all have been wonderful to me. I'm deciding between a Lexus LX470 and a 2008-2010 Sequoia, probably a limited or platinum model with 4x4 and the 5.7. I had a 2007 tundra DC with the 5.7 and really liked the engine. I currently have a Lexus LS430 that has 155K and still drives and feels like a new car. I plan on hanging on to this next purchase for ~5-7 years. I loved the engine and size of the sequoia, especially with the rear captains chairs.

My concern is whether the sequoia is made for the long haul - this isn't really based on any empirical knowledge but rather "feel". My tundra was nice but I sold it around 50K - my previous 4runners (1996 and 2001) both went 150K without so much as a hiccup. The tundra was great power wise, but I sold it too early to really get a feel for the longevity of it. The LX470 is pretty bullet proof and rides nice and smooth - it lacks the power and room of the sequoia, but I know it's going to be around for the long haul. If I were to buy the sequoia, it would most likely be a 2008 with 90-100K on her. The Lexus would be a 2003-2005 with approx. the same mileage. Also of concern is the 4WD system - the lexus is full-time 4x4 while I know the sequoia has to be switched when needed - the only issue that I have with this is that this will be primarily for my wife and the kids and I sometimes wonder if perm 4x4 isn't a bit safer for her since she doesn't need to worry about switching it on should conditions warrant it.

I'm hoping those of you who have had your sequoia for awhile or with over 100K can share your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your time.

Brian
Short answer "yes", long answer "depends"

Either the LX470 or the Toyota Sequoia will be reliable. Neither really has the advantage, however the Sequoia has the advantage as it is a newer design with newer technology for the most part. The whole "Japan makes more reliable vehicles" is nothing short of BS.

Something to keep in mind, the LX470 was designed in the mid-90s, so if you are driving around in a 2007 model, in essence you are driving around with parts and tech that are almost 15 years old in design. Both have features that tend to break or could stop working at higher mileage such as $300K, the Sequoia has some features such as cooling fans for the seats, power third row seats, power lift hatch which can fail as the mileage tacks on. The LX470 on the other hand has a power retractable radio antenna, night vision, and a HVAC system that is quite complicated.

I personally like the LX470 as it much nicer in design and prestige, but the Sequoia does have the stronger frame, tougher engine, and has more features.

·
Registered
200 Posts
lots of TLC!!! It also depends on how much wear and tear it has to endure. I have 3 kids with car seats and sliding in and out with jeans and wet swim suits, so we will see for me. I had my leather done aftermarket with a lifetime warranty.
Im already begining to see the affects of the wear and tear on the back of the driver seat. Its mainly due to my 3 year old pressing his shoes against the bad of the seat. He will be out of the full blown car seat soon and into a booster which my five year old sits in now. because its thinner in design the kids arnt as close to the back of the seat.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My very well maintained highway mile Sequoia engine crapped out at 98,000. The vehicle itself looked like it had 30,000 miles and had held up well.

My 1996 landcruiser got a little worrisome at 110,000 and was traded away. I also had a few expensive repairs and was told hey its an expensive vehicle so it costs more. In other words you have money and we are going to take it. For that alone I will avoid the Lexus. Same story with Mercedes and BMW I will never go back.

My three 4-runners were outstanding well past the 125K mark. Except the service department putting in the wrong transmission oil which then foamed and blew out at highway speeds.

I was so disgusted by multiple Toyota service departments, especially with the Sequoia which was pulled from the car without my knowing after a botched water pump replacement, that I moved to a Ford 150 and at 20,000 miles I must admit that I really like the truck. I also know a lot of people who have run their F150's to a couple hundred thousand with no issues. I hope I'm one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My 1980 Toyota Supra was good for that many, plus. I should've done that "I love my Toyota" commercial.

Well, as far as Ford goes, I had an '01 Expedition that I had to replace the transmission well before 100K and vowed not buy another Ford Expy - traded it in for the Sequoia. Now, my Ford Cobra - no problems, just wonderful.

Btw, I do all work on my vehicles, so there's less chance of someone else messing up things. I'm debating whether to take the Sequoia Toyota for the free 5k service, since the only thing they will do mechanically is rotate my tires. I can do that myself and not have to wait hours.

Srock, what went out on the engine?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is the Sequoia a 300K mile vehicle?

Hello -

Brian
Hi Brian, I have a 2006 Sequoia Limited, and am at about 267K miles. It’s been a wonderful vehicle, with very few problems. In fact I just got a brand new frame thanks to the recall! I’m riding this horse until the end!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The frame, engine, and transmission are shared with the Tundra and some of those have passed 1 million miles. With regular maintenance, 300k should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
29 Posts

100% This.

We went with a new Sequoia over a used Land Cruiser due to family size and space needs. I regret that daily, but I don't think we would have fit in the 200-series, we have too many car seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had a FJ-62, FZJ-80, ls400, T-100 and a 4 runner before getting this sequoia, the Japanese Toyotas have a better build quality, you can see it in the little things like how the frame brackets are formed and welded, small body parts and other details, having said that on my search for a sequoia I saw several for sale with 400K miles, I love land cruisers but we are expecting our 4th kid, the 3rd row on the land cruiser is not as roomy as the sequoia. sequoia also does really well in passenger crash survivability,

I sure hope they are a 300K vehicle as I just bought a 2016 SR5 with 196K already on it. when our oldest 2 kids start driving the wife wants to go back to a 4 runner, she is more comfortable with that size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts