Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wifes Sequoia, she paniced when she heard of the "recall" and took it in as soon as the fix was avail.

I drove it about a week later and thought WTF, this is horrible. It was bad previous, trying to do smooth Controlled take off's from a dead stop. The pedel was so 'easy' and unmanagable for my taste to start. Then after the recall it just got worst and un controllable. I will not drive the Sequoia with business partners or old people in the vehicle. It is uncontrolable Jurky.

SO unless they have a recall to the recall and a way to fix this, I will be back at the dealer having them remove the recall crap they did to make a questionable issue to the point of unmanagable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought i was the only one with this problem. Forget about a bumpy road, the buckin starts and I hate driving the Sequoia now. I thought I was being anal and picky, but your the 3 or 4th person who has said almost the same thing. I want to go back and tell them the characteristics of driving has changed and feels like crap!!! Lets see what happens.................. =(

·
Forum Admin
8,240 Posts
Wifes Sequoia, she paniced when she heard of the "recall" and took it in as soon as the fix was avail.

I drove it about a week later and thought WTF, this is horrible. It was bad previous, trying to do smooth Controlled take off's from a dead stop. The pedel was so 'easy' and unmanagable for my taste to start. Then after the recall it just got worst and un controllable. I will not drive the Sequoia with business partners or old people in the vehicle. It is uncontrolable Jurky.

SO unless they have a recall to the recall and a way to fix this, I will be back at the dealer having them remove the recall crap they did to make a questionable issue to the point of unmanagable.
Let us know how much paperwork you're required to sign prior to having the accelerator pedal recall work reversed. Your complaint sound like an unrelated issue to the current accelerator pedal recall. The pedal recall work involves inserting a metal disc into the back of the glide and reduces friction caused by condensation and overuse (examples given by Toyota). However, this issue is said to be a very rare occurrence in all vehicles, but they are performing work in every vehicle because of a few bad eggs. So your Sequoia's pedal may have been flawless from the factory floor. Or maybe your pedal was loose and now it's "fixed". I'm no NHTSA engineer so I can't be certain. Then again, I don't think anyone at NHTSA is an engineer.:lol:

I think you should inform your dealer that the pedal feels different, rather than demanding the recall work be undone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let us know how much paperwork you're required to sign prior to having the accelerator pedal recall work reversed. Your complaint sound like an unrelated issue to the current accelerator pedal recall. The pedal recall work involves inserting a metal disc into the back of the glide and reduces friction caused by condensation and overuse (examples given by Toyota). However, this issue is said to be a very rare occurrence in all vehicles, but they are performing work in every vehicle because of a few bad eggs. So your Sequoia's pedal may have been flawless from the factory floor. Or maybe your pedal was loose and now it's "fixed". I'm no NHTSA engineer so I can't be certain. Then again, I don't think anyone at NHTSA is an engineer.:lol:

I think you should inform your dealer that the pedal feels different, rather than demanding the recall work be undone.
Well I am no rocket scientist either, but prior to the recall, it was noticeable, after is was significantly worst.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I told the dealership not to touch my car. I don't believe that Toyota knows what's truly going on and is just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. It's more for piece of mind than a solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had my "fix" done yesterday. Pedal was overly-sensitive and resulted in uneven-acceleration before. Now it is clearly more sensitive and overall, worse. $!&!?$#&! This is a "Design/Engineering" issue. I don't think this matter is going to fade away any time soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the pedal feels to light after the recall they will replace the pedal with an updated one if you ask. They cannot "undo" the recall but they can replace your pedal if it feels to light after the recall.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, I had my recall "fix" done 8 days ago. 2008 with 23k miles, I could not tell any difference and have no problems with the pedal feeling too light.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
If the pedal feels to light after the recall they will replace the pedal with an updated one if you ask. They cannot "undo" the recall but they can replace your pedal if it feels to light after the recall.
This is what they should be doing to begin with...replacing the pedal assembly. But little pieces of metal shims are a way cheaper "fix".

·
Registered
118 Posts
My truck feels "lurchy" now from a stop its like the pedal wont let my foot hold a constant pressure on it anymore, causing a really annoying jerky motion. I called my dealership about it yesterday and one guy said he hasn't heard any negative feedback after the recall fix but Im waiting to talk to another guy who I know reads these boards....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my new(used) 208 Sequoia the day after it had the recall work done, so aside from other vehicles I've owned/driven, I can't really compare apples to apples (before and after).

I can't help but wonder however, if this might just be a case where it might take a bit of time to get used to the change (increased sensitivity). Perhaps the shim that is being installed is removing some of the pedal freeplay that previously existed??

Anyway, mine will lurch forward too, but I can take off smoothly if I concentrate on it. I know, I shouldn't have to (concentrate on this), but I've sort of written it off to the fact that I just need to learn how to drive this vehicle smoothly.

One thing that I noticed, that does seem to exacerbate the problem is when the truck is being jostled side to side while taking off. This can make it tough to deliver even pressure with your foot considering the jiggly nature of the Sequoia's suspensions.

Just some thoughts,
Toolman_Johnny

·
Registered
235 Posts
mine is NO different after the recall "fix." i wonder why some have had issues. i am convinced this "sticking pedal" is not even the root cause of accelerator issues. there have been reports of unintended acceleration after the recall has been done

·
Registered
172 Posts
My pedal is definitely different, I felt like I had to relearn how to drive my truck again because the pedal was so "fluid" feeling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I finally figured out what it is about my pedal that I don't like both before and after the fix. I had mentioned this in an earlier post but could not describe or figure it out.

If I start out and cross a road with dips or humps in it and the car dips in the front then the back, my body and leg move and the pedal jumps up and down, the whole thing lurches. I do this going straight or in a turn. Jerky and lurchy are good ways of saying it. If I get into my 4Runner it does not do it and the pedal has resistance to it.

I am beginning to wonder if the pedal design and the size of the car/truck is just not right for going over certain road conditions. Even on a smooth take off I have to think and sort of play with the pedal to make it smooth. I loved the old screen door return springs on gas pedals, they always worked!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I told the dealership not to touch my car. I don't believe that Toyota knows what's truly going on and is just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. It's more for piece of mind than a solution.
This recall fixes what it is supposed to, the sticky pedal that happens in humid areas. The floor mat interference campaign will fix the other issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts