Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to repair this?--see pics*update* trailer wiring question...

This is the back of my gauge cluster on my 2000 tundra. The copper terminal appears to be burnt away from where the wire harness contacts would make the proper connection. It looks like it is part of my turn signal circuit. everything seems to work mostly right.. the only problem i have noticed is when my headlights are on and i signal either right or left, my gear indicator will dim significantly (when the signal blinks on) and the opposite signal in the dash will dimly light up (when the signal blinks on). I think this all my have be caused by improper trailer wiring. There is a "T" connector and a small black box...for a 4 way flat plug connected inline at the drivers side tail light. then the passenger signal wire is ran by itself over to the passenger signal and connected there.. i believe this is very wrong since the passenger side brake light would not be activated.. just the signal... I have searched the forum.. but have not found a solution.. to this problem.. I can fix it.. just need the technique

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
You can probably fix it yourself but how is your soldering skill?
I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some experience in
soldering.

If you screw up with the soldering, you might do more
damage than good. Also, repairing that one location
might not solve the problem. You might have
damages else where.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can solder, but i think if i use the gun that i have i may just melt more of it.... maybe i will head to radio shack or fry's and see if the have something a little more "gentle".......I think i may disconnect the trailer wiring and start over.. it was already there when i bought it and looks to be installed by uhaul..
also the tip of my gun is larger than that copper terminal.. the copper part is quite small...

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
So did ya solder in a small wire across the gap or? What did ya find the cause to be that created it in the 1st place?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found another piece of copper that was just like the one that was burnt up and not being used in any circuits. so i cut it out of its original location and temporarily glued it over the burnt one.. Then i used a straight pick and poked a small hole through the new copper and into the old. I somehow managed to get the solder to go in the hole. So, the new copper is held in place by the glue and solder and the solder also completes the circuit. I think it went quite well actually.
As for the cause??? I still believe it to be the trailer wiring that had been installed. I'll make sure it is correct before I plug it into my trailer. I think whoever installed it, tried to power the trailer wires directly from the bulbs... I guess the "sensitive" part of the signal wiring is in the dash. But, so far all of my problems are solved.. I dont remeber any additional wires coming form the positive terminal, which i guess is required on the 2k tundra for trailer wiring. I may just buy a new kit and get rid of whatever uhaul hillbilly crap is going on under there.
:ts:
SOB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this is whats wrong...
Currently installed on my truck (its a 2k) is a non powered uhaul brand "high energy 3 to 2 tail light wiring harness"
https://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=120
thats a link to it right there......

what i believe should be on there is this....
https://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=4074

Anybody have some advice or an opinion? let me have it!!
...btw... If your opinion is "Only buy toyota (aka most over priced) parts" yadda yadda yadda bla bla bla.. i dont care to hear it... over a hundred dollors for trailer wiring.?. keep wasting your money guys.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
i paid 45 dollars for a wiring harness that plus into the factory wiring under the bed just behind the bumper on the drivers side. reese or something works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts