Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 crewmax 5.7L TRD and am pulling an 09 Jayco Jayflight 32 BHDS weighing in at 9300lbs fully loaded. I was wondering what you guys thought of this combo to improve the ride/stability while pulling (I also have 10ply mich tires, and that made a very big difference too):

1) 1500lb helper springs
2) 1 1/8" diameter rear sway bar
3) Firestone airbags

Will all 3 together make a huge difference? Anything to be taken out/not worth it? Im also switching hitches. I have a Reese DC setup but after tweaking it over and over, I'm sick to death of the friction design. Got my eye on something like the Hensley.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention a couple of things:
Hitch weight for the TT: 1000lbs
I keep the rear tires inflated to 70-75 psi and the fronts are at 65psi while towing
The truck tends to "bob" up and down when going over rougher roads along with the TT. This obviously goes away on smooth roads.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
You're within the ratings if you don't throw too much in the bed of the truck. As far as that goes, some weight in the truck rather than in the trailer should increase the stability if you are currently experiencing undesirable sway. A few PSI less in the tires may give you a bit better ride, a bit more "forgiving" of the bumps. I don't think you need springs AND air bags. Either one is good. Make your choice. I like the bags for the adjustability you get with them and the better ride when loaded. I haven't sprung for the TRD sway bar yet but I have to.

Otherwise, looks good.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I think your over safe, this is a good thing. I think your air bags will override your overload springs, but if you blow a bags you still have the springs. About 25 lbs in the air bags and 60 to 65 in rear tires 50 to 55 in front. see you on the road, let's go camping.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
I went the Hellwig spring route (EZ 990), once I had they adjusted to what I wanted with the 5'er I forget them forever, empty that have zero effect on my daily ride. Springs or airbags either will help stabilze the truck.
EZ-990

- Medium Loads
- 2000 lbs. Level Load Capacity
- Mounts Under Factory Axle U-Bolt Plates
- Fully Adjustable
- Heavy Duty Hardware

I have to agree with the other on the tire pressure, I think you are high, I run about 60 psi when hauling.

I believe that bouncing you described is called porpoising, being I have a 5'er I don't have experience with that, seems I read a properly adjusted WD hitch helps fix that also.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was informed that the load range psi for these tires was from 40 low, to 80 being the highest. I will try around 60 and see what that does. I run them around town at 45psi.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
When I had the tires put on at Discount they told me the minimum was 45 psi, I have not read anything, but I don't know a difference in ride whether I have them at 60 psi or 45 psi :D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts