Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am trying to help a buddy find himself a Tacoma. I recently bought a 2010 DC Tundra then installed procomp 6" lift and 35" BFG AT's and have been loving it ever since. My buddy fell in love with my Tundra but doesnt want the full size truck, so he is going for a Tacoma.

He found this online at a local dealer. Pics make it look very clean and 47k miles for a 5 year old truck is very low miles. Problem is that the description is not accurate-it says its an auto but the pic shows it to be a manual. It has aftermarket wheels/tires on it, descriptions says "P245/75R16 mud & snow tires", is that a true 33 inch tire? The pics make it look lifted, is it possible the TRD Offroad suspension plus the bigger tires just make it look bigger and is actually factory suspension on it without a lift? Bluebook has this at around 21k with aftermarket wheels/big tires. I think guy is asking close to 30, and it is on consignment at the dealer. Meaning somebody is trying to sell it from the dealer location but is owned privately, not by the dealer.

Anything I should ask or look for when I go drive it with my buddy tonight? Anything 05 or early model 2nd gen Tacomas have I should know about? Does 21k seem like a fair price to buy this truck for? 47k is very low miles, but the track is infact 5 years old now. What are you thoughts guys? I have been browsing and learning alot about toyota trucks since I got one 5 months ago, but mainly Tundras not Tacomas so any help is appreciated alot.

thanks,
Craig

Link to Tacoma I am looking at:

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Call 720-898-9019 - Wheat Ridge, CO - Wolf Interstate Leasing and Sales Used Pre-Owned Trucks, Cars, SUV's, Vans, Commerical Vehicles, Recreational Vehicles, Lifted Custom Trucks Serving Denver Wheat Ridge Arvada Golden Lakewood

·
Registered
60 Posts
its a lil steep for that truck..i dont think by any means that truck is worth no wheres near 30k..
19.5 is more reasonable??
6spd trans have syncro problems, make sure it doesnt grind going into gear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, can you elaborate more on the synchro issue? Is it the 05's only that have this issue or 2nd gen tundras with manuals? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
its a lil steep for that truck..i dont think by any means that truck is worth no wheres near 30k..
19.5 is more reasonable??
6spd trans have syncro problems, make sure it doesnt grind going into gear.

I agree and about $17,500 would be my max on a 5 year old Taco.

Negotiate it down to $17,500.00 ... saving $12,500.00 and it takes you 2 hours to do so, you just made $6,250.00 an hour.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You dont think it is worth more with the aftermarket wheels and tires? I am thinking of telling my buddy to look for a bone stock Tacoma then put bigger tires on it. What kind of Tacoma does 20k get a guy now days?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You dont think it is worth more with the aftermarket wheels and tires? I am thinking of telling my buddy to look for a bone stock Tacoma then put bigger tires on it. What kind of Tacoma does 20k get a guy now days?

Most of the time, factory OEM specs are best and factory OEM specs usually bring the best price or trade in value.

Unless you have a personalized mod (ie, personalized wheels & tires) that the buyer specifically wants and is willing to pay a premium for.

PS ... I was just googling average 2005 prices and came up with this for you as a starter ... maybe $17,500.00 is too high ??

Link --> http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/toyota/tacoma/pricing/index.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is what I posted in my other thread:

I found a used 2005 (Model 06) Double Cab Prerunner Silver Tacoma V6 with 38,000 miles for $15000, but I might be able to get it for $13,000. There is no tow package or TRD sports package. Do you think this would be a good buy if I got it for $13,000? Not a big fan of silver color but if the price is good thats fine. This is not my daily driver. Just a truck to use to haul stuff around and tow a trailer here and there. I really wanted a 4x4 this time around but since I don't go off road really or to the dunes much I shouldn't need to pay extra for the feature?
I been seeing 2007 Double Cab SR5 TRD sports/tow 4x4 AUTO with around 35-40k miles going for $24-25,000. Aftermarket is not worth it, buying stock is the best when buying used. Its not always true but you have a better be going that route.

NO DEAL for what you posted.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Look at prices on Edmunds. com. I think anything over 13,000 in prime condition is way too much. It may be nice to look at but it is 5 years old and those big tires and rims actually add nothing to the trade in value or the amount your insurance will pay for it if it is wrecked. It is a consumer product, not a classic, and you should not pay more than a fair price. I just traded in a 2006 Avalon and it don't come close to what I wanted. People are not buying, the vehicle market is in the toilet and Toyota's name plate is not earning a premium price at this time. You could go to a dealership right now and get a brand new one for well under $30,000. The market is depressed and dealer's will deal if you play hardball and do not appear to be over anxious about purchasing that particular vehicle. Tell them at least you need to test the market in the area and see if they will not take your name and phone number and call you back in a couple of days with a lower offer. It is all part of the game and if you want the best deal you need to play the game as well.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Manual tranny? Synchro issues or no, gotta get to less than 20K for me. Otherwise they can sit there waiting for someone who wants that specific truck but doesn't want an automatic to come find it and not also ask to go below 20.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a 2007 tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 QC with 44000 miles for $20,400. It is in excellent condition, my son loves it. Also own a 2004 Tundra 4x4 QC bought last year with 40000 miles for 15K. It also, is in excellent condition. The deals are out their, just need to keep looking. Autotrader.com, Car max and ebay are a few places to look. If it sounds to good to be true, then it probaly is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm thinking I need to raise my price?! I am selling my 07 Tacoma Access cab TRD Sport v-6 towing etc, with 28,000 miles on it for $19,500 with the toyota extended no deductible warranty good for 100K or 2014. Do you guys think my price is too low too high or ok? Love the truck but just have no need for it like I thought I would. A regular old car seems to be the best so gotta say goodbye to the Tacoma. PS sorry to sorta thread jack but it is pertinent since now you know someone who was selling an 07 with less miles than what you are looking at for far less. Given it's not the double cab...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts