Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I installed a 2 inch AAL in the rear last week. Now when I drive, I feel like the back "grinds" on something. Not a nasty grind by all means, just a little bumpy upon the start of an acceleration (which doesn't occur all the time).

·
Registered
222 Posts
That doesn't sound right. When I had installed a AAL on m tacoma, I never got anything like that...

Are you sure you remounted the axle straight?

Where does the grinding noise seem to be coming from? Brakes, axle, suspension, drive shaft...?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, well I just took a look underneath the truck. My question is...are the shocks in the rear suppose to be lean in the same direction. Not sure how to explain this. Left shock leans towards the end of the truck, right shock leans in the direction of the front. Please let me know. Thanks!!!

-Linh

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The shocks are supposed to be that way. It sounds like you're feeling axle wrap from the rear lift. I have rear lift blocks and feel the same thing under hard acceleration from a stop.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I don't know that much about higher lifts. I have an 1 1/2" AAL. Did you remove the shocks? I have read where some people have installed or re-installed in the wrong hole on the frame mounts.

They make tapered shims and I am wondering if those might be helpful. I remember reading about them for lifting. They work by changing the angle of the front of the differential and tilting it upward slightly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shocks are supposed to be that way. It sounds like you're feeling axle wrap from the rear lift. I have rear lift blocks and feel the same thing under hard acceleration from a stop.
I have the exact same problem. On hard accelerations, it occurs. so perhaps it is axle wrap? How does one fix this? Thanks!

-Linh

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
If you diagnose and are sure it is axle wrap then look up information on "traction bar". Seems like only two inches of lift from some AALs would not cause that. What I read said that blocks were more prone to that... also soft springs... which you actually want if you are doing a lot of off roading.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It shouldn't be axle wrap, as the add-a-leaf tightens up the rear pack and will make it less likely to have axle wrap. If you didn't have axle wrap before, you shouldn't have it now. I had a 2" ADL on my 05' and it was quiet and firm.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Probably axle wrap, perhaps caused by an improper install. Could be somethings loose too

One way to cure it is traction bars, but they are usually a custom affair. Could try the swaybars they make for the rear, should help a bit.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It shouldn't be axle wrap, as the add-a-leaf tightens up the rear pack and will make it less likely to have axle wrap. If you didn't have axle wrap before, you shouldn't have it now. I had a 2" ADL on my 05' and it was quiet and firm.
The increased height from the AAL changes the driveline angle, which can lead to axle wrap. Tapered shims between the axle and spring can return the angle to normal. I had a Chevy 2500 with a 2" block and stiffer springs with significantly more axle wrap than my Tundra with 4" blocks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2" add a leafts. had a suspension shop install them then had another look over the work. the second shop said everying looked good including drive shaft alignment. they said the could add a 2mm shim that may help....any progress with yours...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have never heard of axle wrap producing a "grinding" noise. The most common symptom I have heard of is wheel hop.
Excessive axle wrap will lead to wheel hop, like during truck pulls. When not excessive it could be described as a "grinding" feel from the rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts