Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm brand spankin new to TS, and I'm lovin the great info here! For the past several months I have been researching yota trucks (i had a 1983 pickup which I loved). I finally found one that I am seriously considering buying. It's a 2003 sr5 access cab with the V8 with 95k but a new motor with 20k. It was hit in the front and carries a salvage title. However, my past 3 vehicles had salvage titles and I did most of the engine and body work, so I understand all the complications that can go along with salvaged vehicles. This truck comes from the same salvage yard I bought all my previous vehicles from, so I trust them. This truck comes complete and painted, so it saves me a lot of trouble. I had a chance to look at the truck before the engine was put in so I could see if there was any frame damage. It looked great to me, and I talked to the mechanic and he said he didn't have to do much to straighten it. SOOO now the price....they want $8,900 for it. What do you guys think, should I go for it? I'd greatly appreciate your feedback and will put up pics asap.
-Mr. Brown

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I guess I would see if they would let you take it someplace and have it looked at real good. My worries would be in the frame. The lower mileage motor is nice.

I would just get a real good check up on the frame.

·
Registered
917 Posts
That price seems very high to me for a salvage title rig. KBB.com resale value on that truck is 9070.00 so where is the savings? Salvage title to me means 40-50% off of private party resale value. The fact that it has the motor replaced adds no value to for me. The truck still has 95k on it. Keep looking for something with a clear title.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, I'll get it checked out and make sure all the recalls were c/w. I can't spend more than 9k (damn economy), and in my area I can't find a tundra without over 140k+ for that price with a clear title. I've had great luck with my salvage cars in the past, so it's tempting. I thought the new motor would add more value, and the mechanic put a new timing belt and water pump in, so it's good to go for a while. I'll let ya know what I decide. Any more input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would take one with 140k on it if the title was clear before I bought a totaled rig.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That is alot of cash. Why did the old motor need to be replaced? That alone makes me wonder what has this truck been thru? I would wait until you can afford an 05 with the new design motor and better brakes, 5 speed auto......I know you said times are hard but how much harder will they be if this trucks dies on you? A tranny alone is $3000. Don't do it. A different motor isn't ever a good thing. Timing belts are good for 90,000, and that adds nothing. $5000 out the door or I would be GONE........it's a salvage truck.....Good luck either way....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a ton, I do need a 4wd here is WI. That green 05 is pretty sharp. Keep em comin! I can actually fly out to AZ (free travel), so if you find anything under 10,000 please let me know. I'll check more prices out there. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Being new to this forum as well I may not be able to say if it's worth it or not, but having been through the craigs list, auto dealers, and just looking around I'd say that's not an exceptional buy for a salvaged vehicle Reason I say this, I found a 2003 access cab SR5 with 36k for $10k. I looked at numerous ones (most had over 100k) and ranged from 2001 to 2004 in a price range of $6995 for the 01 to $8500 for the 04. I'd say there are better deals to be found without buying a salvage titled vehicle. Reason for salvage can range from flood damage to wrecked and the insurance company totals a vehicle if the cost exceeds half of the worth of the vehicle. Your luck with previous salvage vehicles may guide you through your decision, but personally that seems high to me. Best of luck with your decision, Jack

Hey everyone,
I'm brand spankin new to TS, and I'm lovin the great info here! For the past several months I have been researching yota trucks (i had a 1983 pickup which I loved). I finally found one that I am seriously considering buying. It's a 2003 sr5 access cab with the V8 with 95k but a new motor with 20k. It was hit in the front and carries a salvage title. However, my past 3 vehicles had salvage titles and I did most of the engine and body work, so I understand all the complications that can go along with salvaged vehicles. This truck comes from the same salvage yard I bought all my previous vehicles from, so I trust them. This truck comes complete and painted, so it saves me a lot of trouble. I had a chance to look at the truck before the engine was put in so I could see if there was any frame damage. It looked great to me, and I talked to the mechanic and he said he didn't have to do much to straighten it. SOOO now the price....they want $8,900 for it. What do you guys think, should I go for it? I'd greatly appreciate your feedback and will put up pics asap.
-Mr. Brown[/QUOTEy

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
mrbrown,
As many have said I would shy away from this rig if it were me. I too live in WI and one thought for you would be to consider a long distance purchase reason being ROAD SALT! You can find a nice Tundra in salt free states like Ca, Az etc, buy a one way ticket and drive it back, all for under $500. How do I know? I did just that. You take a look at my Tundra in the Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin and there is not a lick of rust on it. You buy one thats been in the salt of Wisconsin for 3 or more years, you got tons of frame and component rust. Granted I bought the truck from my pops in Cali, but this is one thought for you. Trucks are darn cheap in California right now on the new truck front, you could pick up a good deal on a used one from a private party or a dealer certified and still make out better. Then spray up the truck before winter with Fluid Film, and you have a nice leg up on one of the biggest things we face here in Wisconsin. I too like others have said would take a 150,000 yota with clear title over one that's salvaged but with a newer engine. That engine is gonna last dang near forever, its the other things that are going to get us.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Like pretty much everyone else said. Thats a lot for a salvage truck, even with the new engine and others. the truck itself still has 100k whatever miles on it. And like said before... Why did it need a new engine, that could mean the previous owner could have basically abused the engine, which could mean the tranny is pretty beat up. and other drivetrain parts. IMO the only way I would buy a salvage is if I knew the previous owner or knew what the car has been through, and either myself or a trusted mechanic/friend re-built the truck from the salvage.
Its just 2 riskys.
Even though u have probly been paitent and watied to buy a truck. i would still just wait. and like said before,(and i wish i woulda known that, or i just woulda bought an older one for cheaper. or waited) save and get an 05 one if u can , just because there better trucks.
hope that could help also. even though I think u pretty much made up your mind above. I just had to get my .02cents in. lol
Peace
-Quentin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts