Is TRD cai worth the price?

• Get the TRD and go broke :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick up a brand new TRD intake for $300 for my 2007 Tundra 5.7L (currently has stock paper intake).

Is it worth it or should I stick with factory? Give me your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was quoted almost 800$ for a TRD CAI here in my town, so 300$ is a steal. I just went with the Volant anyway for around 350$.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
If you're going to go broke after you buy it, like your poll stated, then save your money. If you have the cash to spare, $300 is a good price if it's new.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
1) Better sound over stock
2) Slightly improved throttle response
3) Toyota claims about 8hp/8tq gains at the wheels
4) Looks nice

I like mine, but I had $300 to spare when I picked it up. Is it worth $300 for you? That's up to you to decide... But, personally I'd get the TRD intake before an aftermarket one, especially since it's around the same cost for ya. The debate is never-ending as to whether an intake is worth it... from what I understand, they work better in conjunction with a better exhaust & a custom tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
huh? 800? does it come with a bottle of Vaseline?
Have you checked Ebay? $350 - $400...all day long...

Yeah I was getting some work done at the dealer and was just asking how much, he told me 800$ I asked if they would install it and give me a pall bearer cause i would die before i would pay that much, especially when a Volant is more than half the cost and almost double the HP and Torque gain. I say go Volant but that wasnt a choice for the vote.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, don't go broke over it...I voted for buy it but not if your going to go broke.

That's a good price if new and I'd snatch it up in heartbeat. I'd only consider TRD parts for my Yota's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
"Worth it" depends on what your expectations are for it.

Noticabley increased hp? Not worth it.
Increase in fuel milage? Not worth it.
Sounds good, particularly with exhaust setup? Worth it!
Performs as well or better than other cai's? ( I think so anyway. Picks up air from the same place as stock, not in the engine compartment like many other cai's ) Worth it!
Looks very cool under the hood as if its factory? Worth it!
Fits as if factory? Worth it!
Warrenty covers it for a year if you install it or the term of normal warranty if dealer installes it? Worth it!
Never have to buy another filter (if you take care of it) for the life of the truck? Worth it if you plan on keeping the truck a long time perhaps.
$300 is a good price. I vote worth it if it dont brake the piggy bank.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
does anyone know if the TRD cai make that whistling noise like K&N? I had K&N drop in before..hate the whistling noise..so annoying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To me that's a good price but back in July 07 you wouldn't get close at that price. $800 is close to what it was then. I paid close to $300 for the AFE Stage II. Maybe I should have waited. Personally I would go with TRD since it was designed by Toyota for the Tundra.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
[FONT=&quot]The intake air is coming from the wheel well. Isn’t that already a cold air intake?
On my 2010, the difference between ambient air temp shown on the dash display and Intake Air Temp displayed on my Scangauge is usually less than 5 degrees.

Steve

[/FONT]

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
No whistling sound from my TRD intake - sounds good, powerful... fit was obviously perfect, finish is great, no complaints from me :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
No whistling here either. I bought mine in Oct of 2007 for $383 including shipping from Sparks Toyota.
The differance between the stock setup and TRD cai is the massive air box and filter, + the more direct unbaffeled path to the manifold. You will have to cut the manifold cover accomidate the inlet pipe. Some have used spacers to raise the cover to avoid cutting it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well i honestly think you could probably get better power gains from other manufactures but thats just my .02. I decided to go with an AFE CAI and was actually surprised with the mid range power boost. Its quite noticeable, sounds great and i got an honest 1-2mpg increase. However if you decide to go other than TRD i recommend staying away from K&N, ive heard they can clog the mass air flow sensor. Best of luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys...going to pick it up then since the poll is BUY :)

no i'm not going broke over it at all...just kind of debating if I shoudl drop $300 on something that does what the truck has been doing already. I'm not a heavy footer so not sure if it will make a diff to me..hmm...
oh well, let's hope i won't get that stupid whistling noise like as with K&N drop in.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay so the dude was running late and I sat at a coffee shop waiting for him with 300 bones in my hand cash. The more he's late, the more I thought about it...and finally I said f*ck it...I like Benjamin more. The truck has cold air, quiet and works..why another intake doing the same sh*t....so I called and cancelled...the end :)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
... :beatsme: I think the SOUND alone is worth it... I had a couple buddies in my truck the other day and I was kinda "hot-dogging" it a bit. Both of them said my truck sounded great, and 1 said it "sounds fast" - that's with just the TRD intake, no other performance mods. I've heard the Voland & AFE sound good also, but I can only comment on the TRD, and "daddy like" :beavbutt:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
... :beatsme: I think the SOUND alone is worth it... I had a couple buddies in my truck the other day and I was kinda "hot-dogging" it a bit. Both of them said my truck sounded great, and 1 said it "sounds fast" - that's with just the TRD intake, no other performance mods. I've heard the Voland & AFE sound good also, but I can only comment on the TRD, and "daddy like" :beavbutt:
I am with this one too for the sound, but I also believe my setup has been helped my the TRD CAI. All of the aftermarket components start adding up the HP. First the CAI, then the Dual Exhaust, then the Long Tubes, and finally the UNICHIP (It has all slowly added up the HP in my case)!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts