• 4WD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for a poll like this but only found one that dated back to 2006 so I don't think it reflects ownership of the latest generation Tundra. If there does happen to be a more modern poll, I do apologize and mods please feel free to delete this thread.

So that being said, what do you own? I'm curious about the percentages but would be willing to bet that the votes on this forum (as opposed to the general Tundra owning population) will be a bit biased towards 4WD since many on here are truck enthusiasts.

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
This will depend very strongly on the location and use of those offering the opinions. Up here in Canada a 2WD pickup is useless for the types of winters we have, but I can respect that those in more hospitable climates would not pay the premium for it and would thus prefer 2WD.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My Tundra is a 2WD unfortunetly. I wanted to go with the 4wd, but I want to avoid additional service of the front wheel drive components, escpically with having to replace CV joints/boots often (expereince with 4runner.)

I have a 4runner 4x4 that I take it off road occasionaly. Conversion to manual locking hubs from the ADD system helps reduce front driveline wear.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Needed 4wd for travel in UT, up where I have a piece of land. 18 miles of gravel / dirt roads that can get pretty harsh in the winter and spring melting season.
Looking to upgrade tires now, as the stockers just ain't cutting it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This will depend very strongly on the location and use of those offering the opinions. Up here in Canada a 2WD pickup is useless for the types of winters we have, but I can respect that those in more hospitable climates would not pay the premium for it and would thus prefer 2WD.
True, but I didn't really want to exclude anyone from this pole. I really wonder how different the breakdown would be if this pole was only for regions with relatively mild or even no winter? Does anyone know the actual production numbers for 2WD vs. 4WD?

-Wes

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Perfectly happy with 2WD here in STL. The winter only brings maybe 2-3 snows at the most; some winters have very little if any. Don't get me wrong though, if it didn't cost a few thousand more, I would have a 4WD just in case.

·
Registered
598 Posts
2wd in Tucson Arizona. What's that word "snow" I keep hearing? I think I saw mud once, it happened after I pee'd.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
4wd. Here in Utah, it's hard to even find a 2wd truck. Lots of mountains here, and the weather is unpredictable. Especially for those of us who use our trucks for hunting, fishing, camping, boating, etc... 4wd is necessary.

·
Registered
59 Posts
4WD here in Miami! For boat ramps of questionable character, possible move up north in future, and the 'just in case' factor - you never know where you are going to end up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
4wd only for me. I need to vote 2 more times for my dad and Brother in law. Both have CM 4x4's.

Good system that has worked flawlessly in all 3 trucks. Combined we have over 190k miles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Glamis Sand Dunes, 4x4!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine is a 4x4. My parents bought an 08 in april and is 2wd.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Most of the Tundras on the road around here are 2WD. Flat terrain + no snow or ice + no off-roading + easy shallow boat ramps = No need for the added expense of 4WD
What is this winter thing you speak of anyway?

·
Registered
26 Posts
No need for a 4x4 with my daily driving or in southern GA/northern FLA. If the option did not cost several thousand dollars more, i would have seriously considered getting it for no other reason than "just 'cause."

·
Registered
722 Posts
Got stuck with our Astro Van years back trying to launch from what was refered to as a "ramp" in Canada:eek: After that first time,we're staying with 4x4. Heck, an inch of snow on our driveway and you're parking at the bottom and walking up through the yard.Here in "The People's Republic of Maryland", snow and ice can spoil your day,we're only 4 miles from PA, so there have been times I've seen a foot or two of 'WHITE DEATH':D in our area.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts