Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a way to play my iphone through the factory radio in my 06DC XSP. I have a friend with the same truck who has had very good experience with the iSimple in the Toyota and other vehicles, but in the Toyota, the iSimple doesn't display track information on the factory radio, and you can't control the iPod from the radio controls. The iCarKit claims that it will - both will also charge the phone while connected.

Does anyone have any experience with the iCarKit iPod Car Adapters - 2006 Toyota Tundra iCarKits

iSimple - The iSimple GateWay - The Ultimate iPod / iPhone Integration Solution

Any others?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to search for isimple and icarkit... still learning how to navigate this board.

Actually kinda looking now at replacing the stock radio as an option too.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
When I got my truck back in Dec I started doing the same thing you're doing now. I ended up getting a Scion T1808 off of eBay for $50 and the iPod cable to go with it, another $35. It's a more powerful radio with quite a few more features. You could also go with the T1809 and while it's a bit more expensive the only real advantage I've found by going this way is that it has the option to add external amplifiers with connections on the rear of the headunit.

I love the T1808 and not only did it only take me ~15mins to swap out the radios, I can now play & charge my iPod, play mp3 cds and hook up XM if I'd like. I didn't have to splice any wiring and could go back to completely stock very easily. If you're looking for a simple solution that won't cost a load of cash and you don't mind that it says Scion in the top corner or lights up a dull orange instead of dull green, I'd highly recommend it. I actually may be upgrading to the T1809 very soon so I add a sub or two. If you're interested in the 1808 let me know and we can work it out.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Do you have any pics with the t1808 in your truck? I would like to see how far it is set back in the dash. Thanks!
I have pics of the whole swap process, I just haven't posted them and am at work right now. It sits exactly where the stock radio does. It is literally a direct swap using the same mounting brackets that are already holding in the stock radio.

@agentkorey It looks like you're close enough that if you want to see and hear the difference you're welcome to come take a look & listen. However, I also noticed that you have an 08 and you have a completely different setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not so much worried about navi (to save some $$), but the in-dash DVD is pretty cool - I'm already looking at Crutchfield to see what I can find. Of course to save even more, a normal headunit with iPod/iPhone charge/control would be sufficient.

I'm guessing the T1808 you mention is a Scion stock unit? Off to google it now... Any pics would be great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh he has a fat wallet don't let him fool you.

Now about the 1808 setup from a Scion, you are saying that it will drop right in and work fine and all is needed is a cable for the ipod? We are using iPhones so I assume it will still work okay but doesn't charge it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nevermind, I followed the links to ebay you provided and answered the charging question. It will charge it if you use an adaptor it will charge it by swapping the charging wires around in the adaptor. I have the iSimple setup and like it but I might just have to look into the Scion replacement due to the other bells and whistles it has.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
...I'm guessing the T1808 you mention is a Scion stock unit? Off to google it now... Any pics would be great!
Yep it's a stock unit and most just seem to want to get rid of it to have something aftermarket. I'll try and get the pics up in the next few days when I get back home.

...Now about the 1808 setup from a Scion, you are saying that it will drop right in and work fine .....
Absolutely correct. I did my research here and on a Scion forum to make sure it all worked before I bought one. I offered multiple sellers on eBay $50 for their new/ very lightly used T1808s and actually had two accept the offer. I took the one that had been sitting on a dealers shelf for quite some time and they claimed it had never actually been in a car, it looks perfect. I gave the other to a friend that also has an 06 DC but I'm not sure if he's installed it yet.

Again I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I may be rebuilding my carputer to put in the truck but this will hold me over for a little while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts