Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Valor RM-1100WS overhead monitor into a 2009 Toyota Tundra Double-cab. I have another monitor I installed in the dash that is powered off the radio's remote amp wire. I originally hooked up the Valor overhead to the same lead. However with the Valor overhead hooked up nothing on the remote lead would power on (no video in dash, overhead, or amp). So I disconnected the Valor overhead from here. I guess I had too much drawing off this lead.

I then hooked up the 3 wires (12V constant red, dome light - blue, ground - black) all up to the rear factory overhead light console. I checked voltage with a DMM and identified the ground and a constant 12V. However the monitor was not automatically turning off w/ the truck. But I could turn it off manually. Then when I went out of town for about 4 days I came back home and the battery was completely dead. Even though I ensured I'd powered off the monitor prior to leaving. I figured the only variable had to be the overhead monitor.

I rewired it so that the 12V constant is hooked up to the power on the cig. lighter to provide remote power and the blue door wire and ground are tapped into the factory overhead light connection. I checked voltage on the factory light connection and am pretty sure I have the blue hooked up to the wire that draws power when the light is turned on and the correct ground wire.

Now the monitor turns on/off w/ the truck, but I have an issue where now none of the interior lights will come on. Not even the ones in the front overhead console, doors, or Valor overhead monitor. I've tried to have the interior light switch and on door, of and manual on. None of them will turn on any interior lights. Also the clock in the dash keeps losing its settings.

Any ideas or input is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Maybe a fuse went south somewhere. Did you check?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, guess I should have thought of that. Ill check them this evening. Im worried I dont have it wired correctly. Do you know if it should be wired differently?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If all the fuses are ok (and there's two fuse boxes to check) try removing whatever you did and returning it to original. That should work or at least you can check if you are getting power and have a good grd right at the things that aren't working.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was a blown fuse on the lights. Now I just need to figure out if I have the darn thing wired right or not. Any one out there installed an overhead before? How did you wire it?

·
Registered
379 Posts
You really need to provide that overhead monitor with it's own power from a relay that is controlled by the remote lead from the head unit...

Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams

wire this up to your remote turn on and it's own fused power source... connect the power leads from your other screen to this relay as well... with that set up, both will turn hard off with the head unit (no parasitic draw).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You really need to provide that overhead monitor with it's own power from a relay that is controlled by the remote lead from the head unit...

Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams

wire this up to your remote turn on and it's own fused power source... connect the power leads from your other screen to this relay as well... with that set up, both will turn hard off with the head unit (no parasitic draw).
That looks like an excellent site, thanks for sharing! Pts sent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANK YOU!! Just to make sure I have it right I would wire it as attached? Is it OK to have pull the 12V constant for pin 87 to the yellow wire on the HU? Or should this be pulled from the red wire on the HU?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd pull it from it's own dedicated wire from the battery... or an open blank in the fuse box. But I'm anal retentive that way :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts