Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as someone who takes "car care" to the extreme, it had to happen to me. I got hit today. I was going to take my John Deere front rims to get new tires and was heading towards and intersection where the light was read. I was slowing down. The light turned green as I got about 20ft from the line. As I was crossing the line going approx. 20mph, a green Ford Exploder races up behind me running between 50-60mph and slams into me. Now I was at the "start" line for the intersection, but she knocked me across 4lanes of traffic!!! Stupid Bitch, I hate her. I had to turn around and drive back to her to go back to the accident scene. She "said" her brakes failed, but I saw her for a split second in my mirror before she hit me, she wasnt even looking at me (probably on the phone). I am a little sore, but ok. I am lucky though, if that light I was at hadda been red, she would have knocked me into 50+mph traffic. My tundra wasent so luckey tho, as you can tell by the pics, its messed up bad. The truck bed hit the cab below the window in the rear, it bent my leaf spring mounts from the frame, bent the frame ever so slightly, and of course messed up my freshly washed/polished paint. I was sooooo pissed, but lucky. To prove how hard she hit me, it jerked my Alpine h/u from the dash and ripped out all the wires and it was sitting in my lap. The insurance company is prob. not going to total it, but they are giong to fix it perfectly. I have a guy that I refer all my customers to if they need body work, and he is good so hopefully it will look ok.

Pics

BEFORE:

AFTER

Shows how tough a TUNDRA is, I drove away from a 50+mph rear end collision. Her ford looked like it was hit by a mack truck head on.

Be safe out there folks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. You have one clean truck man.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Wow Brandon, very nasty. The best part is you are ok, or at least you may think you are. Tomorrow will be the real test, to see if you stiffen up or have back problems. I'm hoping not, but do not let even a little discomfort stop you from seeking some medical opinions. Her insurance will cover it and well worth the peace of mind. Best of luck with your health and your rig!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny thing was, I told the trooper

ME: when I normally wash my truck it rains, this time I washed it and I got in a wreck, think somebody is trying to tell me something.
Trooper: Damn son, you just need to keep it dirty for your sake.;)

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
awe man, glad you are ok, but ... that sux. :(

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Of all people to have this happen 2,

Glad you were ok, makes you wonder why the hu came out. could be dangerous having things flying around in the cab.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of all people to have this happen 2,

Glad you were ok, makes you wonder why the hu came out. could be dangerous having things flying around in the cab.
I dunno why it came out? I had all the pins inserted into the radio. I think it's just that she hit me that hard. I was a little pissed about that also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hope for your truck's sake there was no frame damage. Sorry to hear about your accident. Unfortunately these things do happen. My accelerator on my FORD POS F-150 got stuck (I think it was a cruise control malfunction), and I totalled a 1979 mustang! I felt so bad for the owner, and I felt awful that I killed his car. But really my truck did malfunction and I could have killed someone. I sympathize with the lady who owned the Explorer - it really is possible her brakes might have failed or something else on her POS vehicle malfunctioned. I know if someone ran into my new Tundra, I'd be sick as well. It's just a risk we take. Sorry to hear about your loss - you have my sympathies.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I join everyone else--thankful that you're (at least almost) OK and far better off than you might've been in some other vehicle in the same situation.

A former coworker was rear ended similarly (different vehicle) and it broke the driver's seatback violently, resulting in a major back injury and years of pain thereafter. When I was rear ended years ago (lower speed, by an ambulance whose driver was falling asleep at the wheel), it took a few days for my back injuries to become obvious. In denial I suppose, I kept telling myself it wasn't that hard an impact and I'm not one of those who's quick to holler sue the a$$hole. The clue was that other muscle soreness had begun to subside, but the discomfort in that area in the back remained. Pay attention to your symptoms and don't wait if you think a doctor or chiropractor might help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Brandon, sorry to see the wreck and hear about the accident. Looks like the Tundra held up well considering the speed difference between the two vehicles. The receiver hitch probably helped to protect the Tundra, & mess up the other vehicle's front end.
I have had slower hits to the rear of vehicles over the years, one time with a brand new '87 Toyota 4x4 pickup, the damage was minor to rear quarter panel and bumper, but to see that on a brand new truck!!!
Just yesterday in the Tundra, someone honked their horn at me from behind because I STOPPED at a stoplight. We have the turn-right-after-stopping-on-the-red and it's clear law here in Michigan, but most people don't bother to stop, rolling through a stop light anywhere from 5-20 mph. I drive professionally so I make it a point to stop completely, as the law says we should do!!! People are in such a hurry... after moving up a little, I tapped my brakes three times to let him know I was stopping on purpose for a red light! Then turning on to the freeway entrance I immediately got out of the crazy driver's way and pulled to the side to let them pass. If someone is tailgating me I usually quickly pull over on the shoulder and get out of the way of these crazy, foolish, and dangerous drivers!:td: :(

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wreck, but glad your ok (I would go see a doctor though, just to be sure)

It's hard to have your truck damaged like that, but just think of how well it actually did it's job protecting you!

Well it's been three days since I detailed my truck, no rain yet, and no accidents yet :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
OUCH that hurts :(
glad you didn't really get hurt and i hope that ladies insurance company doesn't try and give you a screwing ..
good luck i'm sure it will look as good as ever in no time:tu:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would have to agree that the hitch help you out a little. I leave my hitch in because I use it alot and every blue moon I will have some one hit it. I never have any damage, but the car that hit either has a scuff mark or a hole in their bumper. Plus the fact that you were moving forward helped difuse the impact. That is why, even in heavy traffic , and I see a car coming up fast on my a$$ I will let loose the brakes and if they hit me I dont absorb as much of the impact but roll foward. It is all about the physics in the accident, the longer(time) that you spread the accident over the less damage to you, physicaly. If you are stopped when you get rear ended the accident stops fast resulting in a greater impact, if you can roll or even roll and hit the guy in front of you, you will spread the accident over a greater amount of time resulting in less damage. I am glad that you do seem ok, but as many other have said, if you feel anything get it checked out ASAP.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Actually, I have seen many patients that were injured worse with the hitch in because it transfers the force to the frame and to you, without the hitch, the back of the truck crumples like it should and absorbs the energy better.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am a little sore today, but nothing major. Mostly in the arm that was on the steering wheel when it hit.

Her insurance company uses "used" parts, so I am going to have to go through mine, a $2000 deductable.:eek:

Thanks for the kind words.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I am a little sore today, but nothing major. Mostly in the arm that was on the steering wheel when it hit.

Her insurance company uses "used" parts, so I am going to have to go through mine, a $2000 deductable.:eek:

Check with your insurance company. Tell them you demand new parts, and let them battle it out with her insurance company. That's what my wife did when some dipstick hit her Honda. She raised Holy Heck, got her car fixed with new parts, and walked away with a $3500 personal injury settlement.

Don't give up and don't take "no" for an answer. Be enough of a pain in their a$$es, and they'll pay you to go away.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

$2000 deductible. :eek: Holly crap! my daughters 05 civic is on a $1000 deductible, someone rammed her car last DEC 7 2006, its now a big argument as to who's at fault, I paid the deductible don't know if I'll get it back its still all up in the air:cry:. In your case she's clearly at fault, they don't want to use new OEM parts, well you can take it to any body shop you want, have them fix it to you're licking and sue the hell out of them for the difference, see a lawyer about that neck pain and headaches, if they don't want to pay.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I may do that. I dont want to be the "guy" that complains about his neck when there is nothing wrong, but if it means getting new parts, or a new truck, I think my neck really hurts.:devil:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts