Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a new truck. I had my mind set on a 2007 F-250 super cab, 5.4 gas. When I first saw the "new" Tundra I felt it was VERY ugly, but when I saw it in person this week at the auto show, my mind was changed. I now like the looks of the truck a lot! I drove a double cab SR5 on Friday, and it was great. I might just wait for a bit for the prices to drop a bit, as I am in no rush. However the one issue that I have with it, is that it is low to the ground. It seems like ground clearence will be an issue. The Ford is up high. Any production lift kits out there yet? How much modification would be needed to lift the new Tundra?

Thank you,
Zack

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a new truck. I had my mind set on a 2007 F-250 super cab, 5.4 gas. When I first saw the "new" Tundra I felt it was VERY ugly, but when I saw it in person this week at the auto show, my mind was changed. I now like the looks of the truck a lot! I drove a double cab SR5 on Friday, and it was great. I might just wait for a bit for the prices to drop a bit, as I am in no rush. However the one issue that I have with it, is that it is low to the ground. It seems like ground clearence will be an issue. The Ford is up high. Any production lift kits out there yet? How much modification would be needed to lift the new Tundra?

Thank you,
Zack
Is ground clearance such an important reason not to get the Tundra? Will you be doing a lot of off roading? The Tundra will out perform the Ford any day with it's ride and reliability. Think about resale value if you get the Ford. It's a no brainer to get the new Tundra with it's awesome 5.7L V8.

I'm not sure if there are any lift kits available for the new Tundra yet.

Cheers:tu:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Zack
I've noticed this in comparison with my neighbors F150 4x4. His F150 has a wicked rake to it with the arse-end really high, much higher than my Tundra. I think the 150 looks a little odd with such a high rear and they're all like that.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you check out the 2007 pickup shootout in Motortrend,you will notice that the Tundra had more ground clearance than the majority of the other vehicles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Zack
The Toyota has 10.8" of ground clearance. The Ford has 7.7". What is with some of these threads?!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Toyota has 10.8" of ground clearance. The Ford has 7.7". What is with some of these threads?!

I am not sure why you must be rude or sarcastic? I don't care what your specs say the FORD is higher.

But I totally agree with many of the above posts, the Tundra will be a longer lasting truck, so I think the Ford will be out. I just want to know if any of the major co make any lift kits yet!

Zack

PS: As a side note, how many Toyota's do you own? I have been a lifelong Toyota fan, and I own the following :1979 4x4 Pick up (first Toyota 4x4 pick up in the US!), 1987 FJ-60, 2000 Celica GT-S, and a 2006 Highlander.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am not sure why you must be rude or sarcastic? I don't care what your specs say the FORD is higher.

But I totally agree with many of the above posts, the Tundra will be a longer lasting truck, so I think the Ford will be out. I just want to know if any of the major co make any lift kits yet!

Zack

PS: As a side note, how many Toyota's do you own? I have been a lifelong Toyota fan, and I own the following :1979 4x4 Pick up (first Toyota 4x4 pick up in the US!), 1987 FJ-60, 2000 Celica GT-S, and a 2006 Highlander.
Are you referring to the back end of the 150s? To me the look pretty strange although they do look like they're ready to haul. I agree that they sit much higher than our Tundras, though.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Zack

I apologize for the tone, but I just joined this forum last week, and it seems the majority of thread titles here are perceived or imagined weaknesses, issues or problems with the new Tundra. I just looked up the ground clearance on the both vehicles from their websites, see for yourself. I believe the approach and departure angles are better too, so what it may look like, and what is reality, might be different. Does the Ford "sit" higher? Who knows. I own 2 Toyotas, my Tundra and an FJ Cruiser. I lost my virginity in a 78 Celica, if that counts.;)

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

Zack

Hi Zack,

I'm not sure why some people here are so quick to be sarcastic and rude, I've yet to figure that one out. Sorry you had to experience that.

I know there are some lift kits available for the 07 Tundra already. I think the most popular is a 2 1/2" leveling kit and someone just posted pictures of a 3" lift kit on their Tundra. A quick search thru the last few days threads will find you an answer and some pictures too.

Good luck

·
Registered
528 Posts
Can we stop comparing the Tundra to 2500 series trucks? Its like comparing apples to oranges.

The ground clearance specs are not a joke.....every mag who has done a comparison has listed them and its more than obvious who has the better numbers. Just standing and looking at a vehicle is not the best way to judge ground clearance. The best way is to crawl under them with a tape measure and measuring.

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
You must realize that the rake has nothing to do with the ground clearance that has to do with towing and payload so that the rear won't sag.You can add a leaf to make your rake higher its not making all those components underneath any higher form the ground.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The low point on nearly every truck is the differential.If the differential hangs up on obstacles,it doesn't matter how tall the truck looks.In the case of the Tundra,the clearance to the differential is greater than on most trucks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can we stop comparing the Tundra to 2500 series trucks? Its like comparing apples to oranges.

The ground clearance specs are not a joke.....every mag who has done a comparison has listed them and its more than obvious who has the better numbers.
You know who REALLY has the better number? You and your 2007 5.7 Tundra 4x4 that gets a fuel-sipping 24.2 MPG. *THAT'S* who has the better numbers! :D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
352 Posts

Zack

Those aren't his specs... their Fords. The Ford may sit taller but the Tundra has more ground clearance.
Ford Vehicles: Super Duty - Specifications

Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've noticed this in comparison with my neighbors F150 4x4. His F150 has a wicked rake to it with the arse-end really high, much higher than my Tundra. I think the 150 looks a little odd with such a high rear and they're all like that.
It's that way so Ford can claim a heavier payload. You could jack the Tundra up the same way and probably carry a heavier load than the Ford. :eek:

·
Registered
528 Posts
You know who REALLY has the better number? You and your 2007 5.7 Tundra 4x4 that gets a fuel-sipping 24.2 MPG. *THAT'S* who has the better numbers! :D:rolleyes:
Wow...are you still hung up on that???? I was on I-95 doing about 65-70, tonneau cover, dual exhaust, properly inflated tires, royal purple synthetic oil, freshly waxed, and an open road in front of me so my speeds were not varying at all. My 04 QC Ram with the HEMI got very similar highway numbers with the same accesories. Maybe the wind was with me but so far that has been the peek of my mileage numbers. I came back from a 200 mile trip (country 2 lane highways) and I averaged over 18 and thats with several stop lights and lots of hills. In town she drops back down to 14 or so.

Sorry bud...don't know what else to tell you. Its not uncommon for me to get over 35 MPG in my MINI Cooper S and thats well above the EPA ratings. Maybe its the Top Tier fuel I get from Costco because thats all my vehicles drink.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow...are you still hung up on that???? I was on I-95 doing about 65-70, tonneau cover, dual exhaust, properly inflated tires, royal purple synthetic oil, freshly waxed, and an open road in front of me . Maybe the wind was with me

I need to get me some of that wax and wind behind me. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow...are you still hung up on that???? I was on I-95 doing about 65-70, tonneau cover, dual exhaust, properly inflated tires, royal purple synthetic oil, freshly waxed, and an open road in front of me . Maybe the wind was with me

I need to get me some of that wax and wind behind me. :D
You don't need wax and wind. All you need is to be very careless with the truth at which point you will also get 24.2 with your 5.7 4x4. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
You don't need wax and wind. All you need is to be very careless with the truth at which point you will also get 24.2 with your 5.7 4x4. :)
It sure seems to be bothering you a great deal to keep bringing it up in so many threads.Does it keep you up at night?:)

·
Registered
528 Posts
It sure seems to be bothering you a great deal to keep bringing it up in so many threads.Does it keep you up at night?:)
I think it does....scarey

1 - 20 of 32 Posts