Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Toyota has 10.8" of ground clearance. The Ford has 7.7". What is with some of these threads?!
Just went out and measured my ground clearance. This is an 07 DC 4X4 with TRD and 18in wheels. The back diff was 8.5in and the front skid was 9.5in. Not sure where they are getting 10.8 from - maybe with 22in wheels.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wow...are you still hung up on that???? I was on I-95 doing about 65-70, tonneau cover, dual exhaust, properly inflated tires, royal purple synthetic oil, freshly waxed, and an open road in front of me . Maybe the wind was with me

I need to get me some of that wax and wind behind me. :D
The return mileage on that particular adventure was 20.1. The computer is pretty much dead on with very little difference from manual calculations.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Back to the clearance of the tundra. Look at the TRD package, it has the highest clearance and engine, tranny protections plates and awesome shocks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just went out and measured my ground clearance. This is an 07 DC 4X4 with TRD and 18in wheels. The back diff was 8.5in and the front skid was 9.5in. Not sure where they are getting 10.8 from - maybe with 22in wheels.
Ok, you made me go look... mine is 10"+ and it is a 4x2 with 18" wheels and without TRD ( note:the specs for a 4x2 are 10.2"). Not saying yours is not what you stated, just stating what my truck ground clearance measurement is.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The back diff was 8.5in and the front skid was 9.5in. Not sure where they are getting 10.8 from - maybe with 22in wheels.
My limited 4x4 (non trd) with 20" wheels is the same 8.5" to the lowest point on the rear differential.However it still beats the f-150 at 7.7"

Ok, you made me go look... mine is 10"+ and it is a 4x2 with 18" wheels and without TRD ( note:the specs for a 4x2 are 10.2"). Not saying yours is not what you stated, just stating what my truck ground clearance measurement is.
Perhaps the 4x2 has a different differential?

·
Registered
528 Posts
We need pics!!!!! LOL I want to see you guys under your truck with a tape measure in hand :devil:

Just having some fun. The first round of brews is on me

·
Registered
202 Posts
We need pics!!!!! LOL I want to see you guys under your truck with a tape measure in hand :devil:

Just having some fun. The first round of brews is on me
I could really care less what the clearance is because i'm not doing any rock crawling in my new Tundra. I've owned many Toyota trucks and never got stuck in one of them. The second round is on me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok..will do tomorrow if it stops raining. I don't mind posting pictures to back up what I say. Not sure why it matters so much. If the specs are one thing and your truck is something else, either take it back to the dealer (to take it back or fix it) or live with it.
I am sure it has something to do with the different packages offered...maybe towing package?

edit: milestogo, just read your post and agree

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I hope to greatly reduce my ground clearance in the near future... :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wow...are you still hung up on that???? I was on I-95 doing about 65-70, tonneau cover, dual exhaust, properly inflated tires, royal purple synthetic oil, freshly waxed, and an open road in front of me so my speeds were not varying at all. My 04 QC Ram with the HEMI got very similar highway numbers with the same accesories. Maybe the wind was with me but so far that has been the peek of my mileage numbers. I came back from a 200 mile trip (country 2 lane highways) and I averaged over 18 and thats with several stop lights and lots of hills. In town she drops back down to 14 or so.

Sorry bud...don't know what else to tell you. Its not uncommon for me to get over 35 MPG in my MINI Cooper S and thats well above the EPA ratings. Maybe its the Top Tier fuel I get from Costco because thats all my vehicles drink.

Ok, I gotta call "Shennanigans" on this, having just sold an '03 Hemi Ram 2wd Reg cab with the higher geared rear end. Never got over 18 mpg highway, with either manual calculations or on the trip computer. Not even momentarily. My brother has a Quad Cab, same story. My weekly 400 mile highway trips I averaged about 15 mpg at an average speed in the low 70's. I think either your trip computer was off or your math is.

I do, however, get 36mpg in a Saab turbo rated at 31 on the same stretch of highway, so some vehicles do beat the sticker numbers. Just not a Ram, I bet.

·
Registered
820 Posts
from what ive seen the tundra is bigger in every way. ht. width. lgth. and def. more ground clearance

21 - 32 of 32 Posts