Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its just me, I believe im not used to a eletronic gas pedal where there is no wire connections. This is my first car with such high end devices so its my fauilt on the lunges I experiences. I wish the pedal was like my 08 fj cruiser :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not so much in your head. It's in your RIGHT FOOT! My 5.7 can be real pain in the neck if you don't feather that throttle. Them there horses under the hood really want to run!

But I love this truck!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fellow arizonian I agree to that also this is my first v8 5.7l engine I usually drive compacts like 350z, minivans, etc..where its a v6 3.0L or so.....
Not so much in your head. It's in your RIGHT FOOT! My 5.7 can be real pain in the neck if you don't feather that throttle. Them there horses under the hood really want to run!

But I love this truck!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I occasionally have it too. I believe between gearing, the torque of the motor, and however the pedal is tuned it all contributes to that. I had to 'relearn' to drive my truck recently as I was out of town for a few months without it. Got the jack-rabit starts, then as I got used to it and learned to modulate the throttle accordingly again it's not as bad. Jack rabit starts suck when empty but probably equate to getting a heavy load moving from a stop more easily. Seems like these trucks were all but designed to go everywhere loaded down with at least 500 pounds, not driven around empty. Every review I see involving hauling and towing comparisons with other makes says other half tons do it OK or struggle too much to merge and maintain speed while the Tundra wants more, right before it looses because the interior isn't as plush or the ride is bumpier than the competition. In terms of engine performance while hauling I don't really recall any half ton motor other than GM's 6.2 holding a candle to the Tundra. I'll take it the way it is and learn to control it rather than having someone do something that'll make it sluggish.

There's always learning issues with ECUs so I don't know if maybe taking off from stop lights like grandma for a few days might smoothen out throttle response. I may try it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You make some very good ponts there about the load my truck as is now is empty I need to buy a tool chest back there to get my tools in. ill rep, but I cant since I repped you before...odd I dont remember though.
I occasionally have it too. I believe between gearing, the torque of the motor, and however the pedal is tuned it all contributes to that. I had to 'relearn' to drive my truck recently as I was out of town for a few months without it. Got the jack-rabit starts, then as I got used to it and learned to modulate the throttle accordingly again it's not as bad. Jack rabit starts suck when empty but probably equate to getting a heavy load moving from a stop more easily. Seems like these trucks were all but designed to go everywhere loaded down with at least 500 pounds, not driven around empty. Every review I see involving hauling and towing comparisons with other makes says other half tons do it OK or struggle too much to merge and maintain speed while the Tundra wants more, right before it looses because the interior isn't as plush or the ride is bumpier than the competition. In terms of engine performance while hauling I don't really recall any half ton motor other than GM's 6.2 holding a candle to the Tundra. I'll take it the way it is and learn to control it rather than having someone do something that'll make it sluggish.

There's always learning issues with ECUs so I don't know if maybe taking off from stop lights like grandma for a few days might smoothen out throttle response. I may try it.

·
Registered
456 Posts

But I love this truck!

Yep...lol. I drive a 4 cyl Mazda B2500 as my daily driver (long commute and it gets 25 mpg). On the weekends I drive my Tundra... and most of the time my wife will complain about me throwing her back in the seat when I take off. If she drove my gutless Mazda for any length of time, she would understand why I tend to mash the accelerator when I pull into traffic... :D

With that said, I do like to hear those BFG's on my Tundra spin! :becky:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
This artificially boosted throttle response began to appear in the '80s when EFI arrived. Americans love aggressive throttle response in which a light touch of the accelerator brings out a huge lurch of power. This is a function of engine torque curves, gearing, and a non linear throttle blade opening in proportion to pedal position, not so much the drive-by-wire. I remember the first time I drove a small block chevy truck with TBI and 700R4. Just touch the accelerator and

·
Registered
848 Posts
do you mean it is jumpy ? because if this is what your saying my 07 did this after i had the recall done .. my new truck is a 08 and has not had the recall done and the petal is smooth on acceleration and i wont let the dealer do the recall unless they change the petal completely and they can warrenty the fact the petal will be as it was before any recall was performed

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SH yes its jumpy from a complete stop and then press the gas, but its only jumpy because im not concious about it. i come from a 03 honda minivan :D so the acceleration is different of course and its a cable pedal not a electrnoic pedal something I never experienced before.
do you mean it is jumpy ? because if this is what your saying my 07 did this after i had the recall done .. my new truck is a 08 and has not had the recall done and the petal is smooth on acceleration and i wont let the dealer do the recall unless they change the petal completely and they can warrenty the fact the petal will be as it was before any recall was performed

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
this is the code writers fault. they can program how much actual throttle application, comes from certain amount of pedal movement. i have much more power in my car, and it doesnt do this off the line. i have to give it more throttle application, to get it to take off. which makes it very easy to daily drive a high HP vehicle. some guys with the same car, who install a S/C experience the same problem, and they can have it tuned out with the diablosport tuner. unfortunately, we dont have a tuner available yet.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Jock - check to see if your pedal was "fixed" by the recall. Many of us have experienced a jumpy throttle after getting this done - the guys that have had a new pedal installed say the jumpiness is fixed... I was gonna have mine replaced this week, but wasn't able to get to it yet, but it's on the short-list of things to do.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Whoa Nelly!! We got a jumpy one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts