Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally took the truck in today to get the new wheels and tires put on and I gotta say that it is SOLID. The new tires are unbelievable!! Great grip, looks fantastic and absolutely quiet!! Not a hint of noise! The rims just look incredible!! I am honestly really, really impressed with this combination.
My only gripe is I probably should have done the Bilstein 5100s at the middle setting in the front instead of the highest setting, but no biggie. And the only real concern is that the front tires appear to be slightly toed in... not sure if that makes a lot of sense, but my concern is that the outside of the tires will show wear faster this way. Is that something you think I should address? When I take pictures this weekend (if I don't bring it up before then) I'll see if I can show what I'm talking about.
Two things I notice right off the bat... the truck feel significantly higher than before, though realistically it is probably only 3.5" to 4" higher in the front and 2.5" to 3" in the back. Second thing is that it doesn't corner as well (obviously) and I have to slow down, but the good thing is that the Bilsteins prevent that "dive" when you brake... it makes the truck feel planted to the ground! I'm just SO stoked right now... I'll take pictures when I've given the truck a wash on the weekend. :D:D:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can't wait to see.

I've had my truck "aligned" by 4 or 5 different shops. Two dedicated to after market applications, one of which I drove an hour to get to. They all said they're out as far as they will go. They still look like this. \ / Slightly, but noticeable. the outside is wearing faster than the inside. But that's the risk you take I guess. I've gotten over it and just rotate my tires more often.

A friend of mine just picked up a new Crewmax, and his front tires also look slightly \ / . And his is stock.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Like most similar threads, this one is particularly useless without pics -- especially since you don't even tell us what rims, tires or tire size you put on!! Did you just put on adjustable 5100's on the front? If so, I thought they only had a max lift of 3".. you said realistically you are 3.5 - 4" higher in the front, so what did you put on there?!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well, finally took the truck in today to get the new wheels and tires put on and I gotta say that it is SOLID. The new tires are unbelievable!! Great grip, looks fantastic and absolutely quiet!! Not a hint of noise! The rims just look incredible!! I am honestly really, really impressed with this combination.
My only gripe is I probably should have done the Bilstein 5100s at the middle setting in the front instead of the highest setting, but no biggie. And the only real concern is that the front tires appear to be slightly toed in... not sure if that makes a lot of sense, but my concern is that the outside of the tires will show wear faster this way. Is that something you think I should address? When I take pictures this weekend (if I don't bring it up before then) I'll see if I can show what I'm talking about.
Two things I notice right off the bat... the truck feel significantly higher than before, though realistically it is probably only 3.5" to 4" higher in the front and 2.5" to 3" in the back. Second thing is that it doesn't corner as well (obviously) and I have to slow down, but the good thing is that the Bilsteins prevent that "dive" when you brake... it makes the truck feel planted to the ground! I'm just SO stoked right now... I'll take pictures when I've given the truck a wash on the weekend. :D:D:D
Wait til' weekend...Reading this had me all stoked! Alright, I'll wait. Interested in seeing the toe in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like most similar threads, this one is particularly useless without pics -- especially since you don't even tell us what rims, tires or tire size you put on!! Did you just put on adjustable 5100's on the front? If so, I thought they only had a max lift of 3".. you said realistically you are 3.5 - 4" higher in the front, so what did you put on there?!
If you read the OP you know that he put on adjustable shocks. He is probably talking about the height he gained from the shocks and then the height from the bigger tire.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pics or it didn't happen! :D
Dude, my wife said I had better get some pics posted or "Marky Mark" and the boys will get on my case!! lol... anyhow, I'll get some taken this weekend... just too much to do today and tomorrow.

For those that asked previously... here is the setup that I chose to go with...
Tires: Hankook ATM RF10s in 305/55r 20s (~33.2")
Wheels: Alcoa 20" x 9" Forged Polished Aluminum
Lift: Adjustable Bilstein 5100s in the front on highest setting (2.54") with diff. drop and Bilstein 5100s in the back with 1.5" aluminum blocks.

Tires add another 1.25" or so to the height, so, as someone mentioned that and the lift equal the totals (somewhere between 3.5" and 4" in the front and 2.5" to 3" in the rear).

:D:D:D

I'll have to see if there is some kind of correction for that "toe in", but if others couldn't get it done, maybe I won't be able to either... I'll just rotate every 5K miles...

·
Registered
422 Posts
you shouldn't have a toe in - needs to be aligned. mine is dead on and I have the computer printout from the 4 wheel alignment I got to prove it. You just invested some good money in your truck - make sure it's right!!

on a side note - seems like more and more people have issues with the bilstein shocks. maybe because there are more variables in the mix?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
:worthless:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts