Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the official notice in the mail. If you own a 05-10 Tacoma, 07-08 Tundra or 05-08 Sequoia, you may have a way to deal with your severely rusted frame. Go to Toyotaframesettlement.com to see if you are part of the settlement. I'm taking my 06 Sequoia in soon to have my frame inspected. They will either spot treat it or replace it if it has excessive rust perforation. This is serious stuff! My frame is ridiculous as for the first 3 years of its life, my truck was in NY. It has been in FL since 11 and the frame is terrible. My mechanic asks if I drove it into the ocean. Worth the look guys.:surprise:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the official notice from Toyota in the mail and am making my appointment next week. Stay tuned! My frame is AWFUL! Thank you to the leasee who owned my Sequoia for the first three years of her life in NY.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Scuddog,
Did you get a letter from Toyota or a post card from a "Brian Warner"/ Hwffler Claima Group?
I received a post card last week with information about a pending class action lawsuit. With instructions on how to join.
The case is due back in court on April 27th for "final approval", per the FAQ on their website.
If you did receive a letter from Toyota on this subject, would it be possible for you to post an image of it. It can help others who haven't received one yet.
Jim

An image of the postcard is located @ Toyota to settle U.S. truck rust lawsuit for up to $3.4 billion - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two things... my dealer knew of it but told me to wait until I received the official notice from Toyota in the mail. I can live with that. Any month now..
Second.... the dealers know all about the rust issue... even my dealer here in Key West has replaced Sequoia, Tundra and Tacoma frames over the past few years... they know that this is a big deal. Look for your letter in the mail and check this thread!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sit tight... Toyota will send recalls to the group of vehicles involved. To see if your truck is going to receive a letter, go to toyotaframesettlement.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im curious if this would apply to new owners of used 2005+ Sequoias. Im about to pick one up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
No! I have reached out to the contact on the settlement website as well as the attorney who is representing the action, still no word yet. Anticipation is killing me!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Almost a little too quiet, I can't imagine this would have just died out by all news agencies considering this was a fairly hefty settlement. Something odd seems to be going on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I heard back from the attorney's office, the lawsuit has been accepted by the courts.. They now are in the appeals "waiting period" and I'm not sure how long that is. I also reached out to the dealership I have been dealing with and they did say they have received word of the campaign which would start in July/August. The toyotaframesettlement.com site emailed me back as well and said they haven't received any court documents yet which is why the site is not updated.

We shall see!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently bought an 05 sequoia at the auction through a friend. I noticed that for 150k miles it had an oddly mint condition frame/rust proofing. Found out that the frame was replaced but not sure when.

Not sure what else the dealer replaced either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just checked the Toyotaframesettlqment website, looks like they updated a couple of documents on the lawsuit.
It has been settled, but not what i was hoping for. I don't fully understand all the legal documents, but it sound like the lawyers made out pretty good and the owners they represented got $2,500.00.
The above is my opinion from what i read, i could be wrong.
BTW, I didn't sign up with them.

Give ut a read and let me know what you make out of it.

Brian Warner et al. v. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., Class Action Settlement

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just checked the Toyotaframesettlqment website, looks like they updated a couple of documents on the lawsuit.
It has been settled, but not what i was hoping for. I don't fully understand all the legal documents, but it sound like the lawyers made out pretty good and the owners they represented got $2,500.00.
The above is my opinion from what i read, i could be wrong.
BTW, I didn't sign up with them.

Give ut a read and let me know what you make out of it.

Brian Warner et al. v. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., Class Action Settlement
Your reading is right, but your interpretation is off, IMO. Folks look at the attorney awards in these cases and think "oh, gee, the lawyers made out like bandits". Except what folks don't often realize is that a) the law firms put in a ton of hours and covered huge expert witness costs, and b) the lawyers took the case on for FREE, in the hopes that they could prove up a case and force Toyota to settle for an amount large enough to make that worthwhile (pretty rare for these things to go to trial). Do the hours add up to a crazy hourly rate? Probably. But that rate has to cover not only their work here, but work in cases that never go anywhere and never get any settlement $. So I don't begrudge the award. And yes, full disclosure, I am a lawyer, but 100% public sector and would never do this kind of work. I just have an appreciation for the challenges, and why we need a system that incentivizes this stuff so that lawyers may actually want to pursue cases like this.

As for the class representatives, yes, looks like they got $2500 extra (presumably in addition to frame replacement). What should they get? How much were they harmed, what are their damages? The bulk of the money that should be going to the class should be going to replacing frames or reimbursing people who paid out of pocket for the same, not to the individuals who agreed to serve as class representatives. I doubt they had to put in much time as class representative.

You said it is not what you were hoping for, which leads me to ask, what were you hoping for? Personally, I was hoping for a mechanism by which my frame could could be evaluated for rust damage, and if it is bad, that it gets replaced by Toyota free of charge to me. I'm not sure I had any right to expect more than that.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts