Toyota Tundra Forums banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I have an appointment at the dealership Monday and after talking with them I suspect they will recommend a new frame for my 07. The entire frame looks good except the section pictured above. What out of pocket costs have any of you ran into during this process?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fishon-
I'm still going through the frame replacement process as i type, just dropped my Sequoia at the dealer and they should be starting on Monday. I will give my thoughts and opinions below.

It seems that each dealer will/can handle the replacement differently. Some dealers will cover everything, meaning no out of pocket expenses for the owner, and then some dealers will charge you for everything. There are parts that might need to be replaced and won’t be covered under the campaign. I would "interview" the service center prior to them touching your truck and start with asking questions. One of the key items that have been replaced by other members is the lower control arms and links. I would ask if they do need to be replaced "Who" covers the cost. That will give you a good idea what you are in for.
Toyota corporate was little to no help when it came to helping me with problems i had at the local service center. I couldn't even get a list of parts that Toyota would cover during a frame replacement. You have to rely on the dealer to do the right thing. They also stated the local service centers are pretty much on their own and do what they wish. Corporate Toyota doesn't have too much involvement and can’t influence what happens there.
I also found out, the hard way, once you’re approved by Toyota and the service center orders the parts you are stuck with them. In my case I discovered some concerns and wanted to have a different service center complete the frame replacement.

As my process moves forward, I will keep updating this thread.

Good luck and keep us updated. If you have any further questions, please ask.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had my appointment today for the frame inspection on my 2007 sequoia. It took them about 45 minutes and they said the frame would need replaced as I suspected. I talked with the service advisor about the process. He said the claim would be submitted to Toyota and once approved the ''frame assembly'' would be ordered, about 2-3 months. The replacement would take about a week during which I would be provided a loaner. They have one tech that specifically does frame replacements. Any parts that are required for the frame replacement would be covered by Toyota. If there are recommended items that would be up to me. He mentioned possible timing belt, water pump, spark plugs but I have just done all of these 1k ago, so that won't be an issue. I'm sure some other stuff will be ''recommended'' but I'm ok with that, I plan on keeping this vehicle for the long run. They assured me the vehicle is fine to drive at this time, heck I've driven way worse. All in all I feel good about it and now just wait. Thanks everyone for the info shared and I will post updates as the process moves along.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had my appointment today for the frame inspection on my 2007 sequoia. It took them about 45 minutes and they said the frame would need replaced as I suspected. I talked with the service advisor about the process. He said the claim would be submitted to Toyota and once approved the ''frame assembly'' would be ordered, about 2-3 months. The replacement would take about a week during which I would be provided a loaner. They have one tech that specifically does frame replacements. Any parts that are required for the frame replacement would be covered by Toyota. If there are recommended items that would be up to me. He mentioned possible timing belt, water pump, spark plugs but I have just done all of these 1k ago, so that won't be an issue. I'm sure some other stuff will be ''recommended'' but I'm ok with that, I plan on keeping this vehicle for the long run. They assured me the vehicle is fine to drive at this time, heck I've driven way worse. All in all I feel good about it and now just wait. Thanks everyone for the info shared and I will post updates as the process moves along.

"Any parts that are required for the frame replacement would be covered by Toyota."

I'd definitely get this in writing before you sign on the dotted line. Especially if you have rear air suspension, which has components that seem to need replacement at the owner's cost. Based on the photo you posted, your underbody seems to be in decent shape comparatively, so it certainly could be possible that they will reuse the lower control arms, sway bar links, etc. which seem to be more of the common items that some of us have had to pay for, or, been asked to pay for and then contested. I think on some of the more rusty vehicles, they simply have to cut these items off, rendering them unusable.

If you have a good dealership, which it sounds like you do, then you should definitely proceed. I would just make sure that they are willing to commit to you in writing that there will be no opportunity for surprises once they start the frame removal process. Like salth2oj stated, once the frame is ordered, you have to proceed with the dealership that places the order.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How long did most of y'alls frame recalls take? They've had my Sequoia since the 5th of February...They're telling me it won't be done until at least mid-May, as it has been over two months and they've not received the frame yet.

This seem pretty normal?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just had mine inspected, they said it qualifies for replacement but is fine to drive for the time being. They said once the frame comes in(about two months), replacement would take one week. Yours must have been pretty bad if they took it right away. Are they providing you a loaner the entire time?

·
Registered
43 Posts
How long did most of y'alls frame recalls take? They've had my Sequoia since the 5th of February...They're telling me it won't be done until at least mid-May, as it has been over two months and they've not received the frame yet.

This seem pretty normal?
My frame was ordered 2/2/2018, arrived at dealer on 4/13/2018. Started puller her apart 4/16/2018.
My mistake, should have ask the service Advisor for the frame order number a day after I was approved not taken his word for it.
4/17/18, got a call about parts that need/should be replaced. Parts not covered by Toyota.
Going by dealer today to take pictures. I will post them when I can. I have a feeling are not going to be for the faint of heart.

Returned to the dealer yesterday, to take a couple of pictures and to see the progress. I was also informed more parts are needed and they are not covered.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Any parts that are required for the frame replacement would be covered by Toyota."

I'd definitely get this in writing before you sign on the dotted line.

I’ll second that one. Hope it is true at your dealer, it for sure wasn’t for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think I recall reading about this in the thread, but it's a long thread so asking here:

The settlement allows for a second opinion, correct? Anyone know if there is a time limit to that (different from the overall time limit for the inspection)?

I had the inspection done (probably posted in here about it) and wasn't satisfied with how they did it (they originally forgot to do it, then rushed my car back in when I complained and shortly thereafter said "oh, it's fine", giving me little confidence that they were thorough). So I want a second dealer to look at it, but I got swamped with work for a few months and am just now circling back. Am I SOL or is still an option?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it is still an option for you, as long as you fall within the timeframe stipulated in the settlement, which was either 1 year from date of settlement or I believe 10 years from date of manufacture of vehicle, whichever is applicable. The settlement provided "extended warranty coverage" on the frame. Check the settlement or the mailer you received from corporate toyota to make sure of the time frame.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I still haven't received a letter for my 06 Sequoia. I'm in California. Any idea if the letters are coming later for us in California?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I still haven't received a letter for my 06 Sequoia. I'm in California. Any idea if the letters are coming later for us in California?
The program only is applicable to certain cold weather vehicles. Check the settlement website for the states that are included.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey
Just read up to 10 pages on my Phone & seeing stars ..lol, Anyone here had their 05/06 Tundra taken in and been sucessful.?
Do Tundra share the same frame as Sequoia.? Thnx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just go my 2005 Sequoia back from having her frame replaced today. They set me up in a loaner car (brand new Rav4) in late December 2017. I got the call that the frame had been replaced and my car was ready to be picked up today. TOTAL BILL $10,000 for the labor and parts ect. $11,700 for the loaner car. So basically Toyota spent $22,000 on a car at most the retail value would be $12,000. Not sure why they are spending that kind of money and not just buying the cars back. Isn't there a board of directors for the best interest of the stock holders? Somewhere someone crunched the numbers and decided to replace rather than buy back based on $$$$. MY TOTAL BILL WAS ZERO $0. I was apprehensive after reading this board and learning people were spending thousands $$$$ on what my dealer replaced for free. I put 16,000 miles on my rental and couldn't care less when it was done. I only used the Sequoia for my work car as it has over 200,000 miles on it. My only problem that i have is the brake rotors rusted and it feels like warped rotors......i lightly rode the brakes for 20-30 freeway miles and it cleared up mostly. On to my next, my wife's 2008 sequoia that needs inspected for frame rust but i think i will wait a few years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey

Just read up to 10 pages on my Phone & seeing stars ..lol, Anyone here had their 05/06 Tundra taken in and been sucessful.?

Do Tundra share the same frame as Sequoia.? Thnx

No on tundra 06. It was not in the recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello Fellow Frame Swapped Sequoia'ers,
Looking for some info from owners that have completed a frame swap.
It seems there is a "plug hole" kit that goes along with this (part number 04007-18334), these are plastic plugs that should close off any open "holes" in the new frame. These are to keep water from entering the frame, sealing it from the elements.
They were not installed on my frame, while I'm checking with the dealer to understand why, i wanted to see if anyone else here had them installed.
The easiest ones to see would be by the front or rear tires.
If they are, it would be helpful to get a couple of pictures of them.

I found a Tacoma forum thread about this subject, just in case anyone wanted to read up on it.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/getting-frame-replacement-on-my-07-tacoma.419842/page-6

UPDATE: They were not installed on my truck, finally got dealer to order and installed them. Seems to be 30 plus that needs to be installed. IMO, pretty important.
Picture of the rear wheel, three plugs can be seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm feeling deja-vu all of a sudden. I went through this frame replacement on my 2005 Tacoma back in 2016. Long story short that process took months because they couldn't get any frames in NC. It didn't cost me anything but I had to go back and forth with the dealership because they didn't re-install my add a leaf springs when they did the replacement, and with my 5100's on the front my truck was squatting in the rear. That didn't fly with me. They did make it right in the end though.

BUT, I just picked up a 2006 Sequoia Limited which is part of this recall. I guess I need to crawl under and see if I have any rust through. Is the problem spot in the front right? Anywhere else I should look? Anyone in the South East seeing the rust through?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Am still using FLUID FILM on the chassis frame regardless. Can’t trust the process when I want the 2006 truck to last somewhere longer than 300k miles.

Saw an interesting YouTube video on our low cost trucks lasting a long time. You all might like it. Mentions the tundra briefly in the end due to engine being well designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 225 Posts