Toyota Tundra Forums banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did they ever give a reason why the 01-04 Sequoias were excluded from this issue?
They were actually covered under a legitimate recall from Toyota earlier on.... It was the owners of 2005-2008 Sequoia's (along with other affected Tacoma and Tundra owners) that had to sue and form a class action lawsuit to generate this settlement.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
They were actually covered under a legitimate recall from Toyota earlier on.... It was the owners of 2005-2008 Sequoia's (along with other affected Tacoma and Tundra owners) that had to sue and form a class action lawsuit to generate this settlement.
I never got any notice for my vehicle from Toyota.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a new frame under my 2002 Tundra. Could not BELIEVE the dealer billed Toyota $19,000. This included my extensive rental while the work was being done, and they even bill them monthly "rent" for having my Tundra on their lot!

Unfortunately they loaned me a current year Tundra with 5000 miles (against my judgement!). The second day I had it I took out a moose 2 miles from my house--or should I say, the moose took out the entire front end of the new Tundra--I'm guessing around $15,000 damage. They were foolish enough to loan me yet another one (hard to believe). The side got clipped by a logging gate, and that cost me $1500 'cause I didn't have the nerve to turn it over to my insurance company...again.

A few months after I got my new frame, a moose ran into the side of my truck and took out the front fender, windshield, front door, and bedside! This area is rough on trucks, and we're not even taking mud-season. All totaled, this free frame cost somewhere around $42,000! You guys might want to just skip it and drive until it breaks in half.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2006 tundra which has frame rust through. i called toyota care for an insepction. they said that my truck is not part of the settlement. how is the 2006 sequoia part of the program and not my 2006 tundra crew cab truck? they share the same frame platform

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello all. Back in april I took our 2007 Sequoia in for the frame inspection. It qualified for a frame replacement. Now 6 months later she's going under the knife. Dropped her off this morning. I spoke with the service writer and I am feeling good about how things will go. He reiterated that any required parts and labor are covered by Toyota, and they have looked at my vehicle and dont forsee any other issues. I also spoke with them about installing some 5100's and 2862's while they are in there. I said i would provide the parts for that and they said that should be fine and labor for that would be minimal. They also loaned us a very nice sienna as we have a boatload of kids, I was hoping for a 200 series, lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have a 2006 tundra which has frame rust through. i called toyota care for an insepction. they said that my truck is not part of the settlement. how is the 2006 sequoia part of the program and not my 2006 tundra crew cab truck? they share the same frame platform

Toyota was able to show records to HIGHWAY SAFETY that they fixed the 2006 frame year I suppose. Speculation as I also have a 2006 tundra. Which is the last year of GENERATION ONE of tundra.

GENERATION TWO of tundra came out in 2007. At the time I was shopping for a tundra I knew nothing of the different generation year ranges. Nor of the frame galvanization issues.

Would suggest fixing the 2006 as best possible. Then shop for a 2007 or newer tundra to trade up to. Anything less than $5000 for cost to swap is worth the change over to the new generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anybody have access to TIS or know how I could obtain the frame replacement documents? Zh8. Just thought it would be interesting to read what procedure they have for the techs.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 05 Tundra and a couple of years ago I got in on the recall. Got a notice in the mail. They inspect frame and if damaged, repair. Then CRC coat it. Downside was the fine black film all over my natural white truck. dafuq!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd love to see these for my 06 Sequoia as well.
Are you sure they didn't cover the 2006's? I just bought a 2006 Toyota Sequoia SR5 with 138k miles on it at my local insurance wreck auction and it undoubtedly has a new frame under it. There isn't a spec of rest on it and the heavy object stickers is still on the frame in perfect condition.. This is Pennsylvania, it would have at least some if it was in PA for at least one winter. You might say that it came from the south but the pass side rear wheel well dog leg has the typical rust all along the edge that my 2004 had on it. So it has seen some road salt at some point.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are you sure they didn't cover the 2006's? I just bought a 2006 Toyota Sequoia SR5 with 138k miles on it at my local insurance wreck auction and it undoubtedly has a new frame under it. There isn't a spec of rest on it and the heavy object stickers is still on the frame in perfect condition.. This is Pennsylvania, it would have at least some if it was in PA for at least one winter. You might say that it came from the south but the pass side rear wheel well dog leg has the typical rust all along the edge that my 2004 had on it. So it has seen some road salt at some point.

Sequoia is covered in recall. Tundra is not. From what we found.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok fingers crossed. They are doing my 2007. Wierd cuz it only has surface rust, allbeit extensive. We will see what happens.

They screwed me on my 2003 a few years ago. It was rusting from the inside out. So soft the jack would dent it. They painted it with the magic black paint, most of which peeled off in slabs over the next week. So bad my mechanic refuse to put up a Lift. I got the Massachusetts Attorney General involved, no luck. Within a year after the paint job they were holes in the frame you put your hand through.

When I dropped off a 2007 they had a stack of so my Rusty frames in the back waiting to be disposed of. Many of the morning very good shape better than my 2003 one of them was even covered with fluid film. I think there maybe just be getting rid of all the old frames just for the fun of it.

Fingers crossed

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok fingers crossed. They are doing my 2007. Wierd cuz it only has surface rust, allbeit extensive. We will see what happens.

They screwed me on my 2003 a few years ago. It was rusting from the inside out. So soft the jack would dent it. They painted it with the magic black paint, most of which peeled off in slabs over the next week. So bad my mechanic refuse to put up a Lift. I got the Massachusetts Attorney General involved, no luck. Within a year after the paint job they were holes in the frame you put your hand through.

When I dropped off a 2007 they had a stack of so my Rusty frames in the back waiting to be disposed of. Many of the morning very good shape better than my 2003 one of them was even covered with fluid film. I think there maybe just be getting rid of all the old frames just for the fun of it.

Fingers crossed

I continue to get mine sprayed with FLUID FILM yearly given that I can’t get the frame fixed. So far no problems on my 2006 tundra frame. First sign of issues I will need to trade it in. Getting airbags in a couple weeks, where have no doubt they will inspect the frame.

Good idea about finding a big northern state dealer who might have frames and motivation for a factory labor check from Toyota. Maybe if lucky.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got my 07 back from Toyota a couple days ago. New frame and they also installed some lift components I provided. They charged me $400 for a bit of extra labor installing the lift and I opted for a trans flush. I spent some time under it this morning looking things over and I'm very pleased. Took them about two weeks and they gave us a sienna for a loaner since we have a boatload of kids.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm curious to know if anyone from the Seattle area has had their frame replaced. The service writer told me they would have to find at least one hole 1" in diameter to replace it, but from what I'm reading here apparently it is up to the dealers discretion. I just bought my 05, it lived in Wisconsin its whole life but was very well taken care of, however the frame is definitely pretty crusty in areas. I have an appointment to get it inspected next week (Lake City Toyota).

For how long is this frame swap available? If they say no next week and my frame gets worse in say a year can I take it back and try again?

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I had it inspected, and just like I thought it doesn't need a frame. The hitch is by far the worst part of it, but I would even judge that as structurally sound. The frame isn't Arizona dry like I'm used to seeing (where I'm originally from) but I have no doubts that it is 100% safe. Now I can have a little fun building it :)

I saw that the frame replacement program is going until mid May this year, so if you have a candidate you better do it quick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It does apply. I purchased my 06 a year ago. Got a letter from Toyota about the recall 3 months ago, took it in for the inspection and it failed (it had rust perforated metal that you could stick a finger through, their criteria for needing a replacement frame.) They ordered a frame, took a month to get it to AR from Japan and did the replacement at their cost. I believe there is a limit on this warranty, so I wouldn't wait long to get this done! I think my opportunity expired in May 2019.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm so pissed, my 02' Sequoia with 224k miles just cracked at the frame where the front swaybar support is connected......it's all rusted away right there.
When I went to jack it up to see what the weird creaking noise was, it started to sag right there.....well, that's what the noise is!
When I bought this used in 2013, it had "passed" a frame inspection and got that crappy black stuff sprayed on the frame...….Looked great for about 6 months till it all chipped off.

On ground:

Jacked up:

Drove over to the dealer...…..they gave me Toyota Corporate's number. I talked to them and they created a case and said they would have someone in their escalation division call me within one business day. The guy I spoke to acted like my truck was too old and had too many miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like the same old story they give everyone. I currently have an '04 Sequoia with 130k miles that looks similar, but has not split yet. The amount of rust on these frames is unreal. I also had an '01 BMW 3 series. It had no signs of rust. They are just going with their script.

We were offered the 'rust inspection' and spray a few years back. We brought it to the dealer, they said it needed the treatment, but they did not have the equipment in Florida. They said we would need to drive it to Virginia?

The frames were defective from the beginning and they are just trying to forget it ever happened.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts