Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im trying to jack up my 05 Sequoia.

I purchased some fairly cheap Black Jack floor jacks and stands from walmart. Both 3 tons. But when i tried jacking up my truck to do a strut replacement, the wheels never came off the ground. and i felt like we were well above the ground.
Does anyone know of a specific height i should be looking for or should i get a 4 ton jack?

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
HF Jack.jpg

Some time ago I received this used and abused Harbor Freight floor jack as a hand-me-down. It works like a champ for lifting my Tundra for tire rotations etc.
The main thing you need to concentrate on would be the height at which the jack tops out at. Mine is something like 22" or there about.
You did the right thing in acquiring the taller 3 ton jack stands. My jack stands were too short to do me any good so I bought the 3 ton units for my application.
Shop around ~ you'll find something. I like the Daytona floor jacks from Harbor Freight ~ Costco has something that will work, too.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
A 3 ton jack is more than enough to lift your vehicle but whats the lift height of the jack you bought?

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, im trying to jack up my 05 Sequoia.

I purchased some fairly cheap Black Jack floor jacks and stands from walmart. Both 3 tons. But when i tried jacking up my truck to do a strut replacement, the wheels never came off the ground. and i felt like we were well above the ground.
Does anyone know of a specific height i should be looking for or should i get a 4 ton jack?
When I

·
Registered
2 Posts
When using bottle jacks, or floor jack, I lift at the axle for the rear. It should not take much, otherwise suspension goes full travel before the tire leaves the ground. I take in consideration the work to be done, if installing a lift, I try to account for the height needed and of course I always have jackstands ready.
The front is easier as it has much limited travel with IFS.
the above are things I do.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a set of 6 ton jack stands. The 3 tons will technically hold the vehicle but I don't like having them fully extended, height-wise. The 6 tons provide plenty of height and a nice, wide foundation to hold up the truck. I use a 3 ton Harbor Freight jack. For the sequoia, I use a 4x4 or a couple of 2x4s to get a little extra height.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yea, when I had my Sequoia I used a piece of treated 6x6 on top of the floor jack to get the whole side up high enough to rotate the tires. The floor jack was full size and still didn't lift high enough to get the tires off the driveway without the 6x6.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts