Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for exhaust for my 04 double cab Tundra. I found JBA stainless exhaust @ autoanything.com for $331.00 free shipping . . has anyone had any experience with this system? I couldn't find any sounds clips. . even the JBA website clip wouldn't play. Any other suggestions? I want to stay under $500.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Do some research here, but I'll let you in on a well known tundra solutions secret. The stock piping for your truck is perfectly made for it. That's right, PERFECT. You don't need to change it at all. You wont gain HP from changing it so why bother? All I recommend doing if you want some cool sound is getting an aftermarket muffler and having it welded in place of your stock one. Keep the stock pipe. That is what I did, after 3 different set ups, and that is what I am keeping forever.

As far as what muffler, get something good, Borla is good. I run a spintech and love it. I hated my blowmaster after 2 weeks of hearing it drone. I've heard magnadrone mufflers that sound a little better but still drone. I had a dynomax as well, just never was happy with it. You will get a million opinions opening a thread like this, listen to whatever you like but as honest as I can be, there is not a cat back muffler kit on earth I would buy. They are too pricey for what they are. You will get no benefit performance wise from any. Keep the pipe, change the muffler. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do some research here, but I'll let you in on a well known tundra solutions secret. The stock piping for your truck is perfectly made for it. That's right, PERFECT. You don't need to change it at all. You wont gain HP from changing it so why bother? All I recommend doing if you want some cool sound is getting an aftermarket muffler and having it welded in place of your stock one. Keep the stock pipe. That is what I did, after 3 different set ups, and that is what I am keeping forever.

As far as what muffler, get something good, Borla is good. I run a spintech and love it. I hated my blowmaster after 2 weeks of hearing it drone. I've heard magnadrone mufflers that sound a little better but still drone. I had a dynomax as well, just never was happy with it. You will get a million opinions opening a thread like this, listen to whatever you like but as honest as I can be, there is not a cat back muffler kit on earth I would buy. They are too pricey for what they are. You will get no benefit performance wise from any. Keep the pipe, change the muffler. Good luck to you.
Thanks a ton! This is what I was looking for to be honest. I really appreciate it. Which series of spintech did you get ?

Tyler

·
Registered
94 Posts
+1 on tundrunk!

I have the Borla duals that were installed by SouthEast Toyota as a package. They had a terrific drone. I called Borla, and they sold me a pair of 'resonator tips' that fixed the problem.

Now, if anyone wants a pair of Stainless steel 4" diameter tailpipe tips that have "Borla" in raised letters, PM me.

I was going to put them on either side of the family portrait over the fireplace as candle holders or something, but the LOML gave me 'the look'...

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Resonated tips will help somewhat by shifting the drone frequency lower, i.e. if you experienced drone at 60 mph initially, the resonated tips would shift this down to say 50 mph. If your driving habits mean that you rarely do 50 for any extended periods, you are good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You want gnarly sounding!!!! Give me about another 2 weeks and I will have you a gnarly sounding tundra. I am putting dual chambered exhaust on mine. They are on back order but should be getting shipped the 18th of march. I will post vid before I go on vacation out to Colorado at the end of the month. All I have to say is that my flow masters aren't gonna have anything on these.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I would go with borla or JBA, probably JBA with matching JBA Headers. I have JBA headers but had went with GYP-SON Gibson, I do not recomment Gibson at all. It is ok, but JBA and Borla sound better, Over 3k RPM the gibbies suck.

my 2000 tundra has 152k miles on it and still running strong

·
Registered
80 Posts
Has any body tried the y pipe by jba. I was looking into tuning my exhuast with headers and exhuast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yea please let us know what model spintech ya got... im looking for a muffler currently just to weld in stocks place tht sounds like a truck should at low speeds and acceleration but if above 60mph isnt freaking anoying

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I put the 2.5" prostreet muffler on, not the stainless version, just the regular. It is smooth sounding in the cab thanks to the piping, outside is another story. I've got a bit more than 20kmiles with it and it does hum a bit but I wouldn't dare say it drones. At low rpm it is deep, at high rpm it screams like my truck is pissed. On the freeway, I can cruise from 60-70 without hearing it at all. Exactly what I wanted.
If you guys are looking for a deep tone, I'd suggest the sportsman model, it has a bigger case and it makes a deeper tone than the prostreet. I was going to get it but my drinking buddy (who sells spintechs) offered me this prostreet and guaranteed I would like it. He was right.

Here is a picture of it so you can see, I bridged the gap in the piping and used a small adapter to fit the 2 3/8" stock pipe into the 2/5" muffler. Now before anybody says it, I know, you should optimally have the pipes going into each other in the direction of the exhaust flow, and yes, I should have shot some paint on the welds to keep them from rusting. I didn't care since I don't have to pay for the work. If you are wondering why it is crooked, read my name, it answers everything!:heh:

·
Registered
35 Posts
There was a guy on you tube that had the JBA. It sounded awesome!

I went with replacing my stock muffler with an 18" Magnaflow. It's just right for an old man with a family. also had an authentic Magnaflow tip welded on. Sounds great and not overbearing in the cab. Just a nice deep sound. It was too quiet at first but after 4000 miles it was broken in nice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You want gnarly sounding!!!! Give me about another 2 weeks and I will have you a gnarly sounding tundra. I am putting dual chambered exhaust on mine. They are on back order but should be getting shipped the 18th of march. I will post vid before I go on vacation out to Colorado at the end of the month. All I have to say is that my flow masters aren't gonna have anything on these.

i'll shall b awaiting that vid and congrats on the purchase!!!!
cant wait !!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts