Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions on the install? Are the stock nuts locking nuts? how many studs are there on each side? Did any body put there stock heat shields over the headers? Ive also read alot of the old posts on this subject and want to thank everybody that posted up on the header install. There is alot of great information on this site. I did buy oem gaskets but for got to get the locking nuts and extra studs. BB KID:cool: :cool: :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
561 Posts
you shouldn't need to replace your OEM studs already....you only have an 06. when i did my headers on my 02, i didn't have to replace any studs, and i just reused the original nuts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kid,
The stock nuts are locking nuts. There are 8 studs on each side. The stock heat shields can't be installed on the JBA headers. You shouldn't need any extra studs unless you damage the original studs during removal. Shoot them with some Liquid Wrench the night before and you shouldn't have a problem. If you do need to replace a stud, you'll need a Torx socket to install it. It's been a while but I think it takes an E10. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I forgot to oder extra nuts and studs. Im going to wait untill my front bumper comes in and do every thing at once. As you can see I live in Oregon and were still getting alot of rain. BBKID:tu: :tu:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Kid,
The stock nuts are locking nuts. There are 8 studs on each side. The stock heat shields can't be installed on the JBA headers. You shouldn't need any extra studs unless you damage the original studs during removal. Shoot them with some Liquid Wrench the night before and you shouldn't have a problem. If you do need to replace a stud, you'll need a Torx socket to install it. It's been a while but I think it takes an E10. Good luck with the install.
I was thinking about JBAs also. Since the stock heatshields can't be used with headers is there any problems with excess heat? Would the coated headers solve this problem and keep the engine bay cooler?:confused:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I replaced the nuts when I installed my headers. I would definately retorque the studs, several of mine were loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts