Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and can't find anyone else reporting this problem. I am now on my third set of JBA headers. The first setup lasted about 8 months with constant re-tightening and collecter flange exhaust leaks then I got the check engine light and it turns out the headers were cracked. JBA replaced them no problem but the next set not only cracked after 2 months but they broke at the mounting flange where they connect to the mid-pipes. JBA has sent another set this time coated but I am beginning to wonder if there is a bigger problem. One thing that I noticed is on the drivers side (side that keeps cracking) the mid-pipe does not line up perfectly with the header, the header is 1.5-2"s higher. With little effort you can line them up and there does not appear to be a great deal of pressure on this. The exhaust is pretty much stock with the exception of an after-market muffler but the position hasn't really changed. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get pics with the install of the new headers.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
dang man! sounds bad! i hate it for ya. i was thinking about getting those too! maybe i should look at the gibson's? keep me posted brother. i'll ask my mechanic if he knows what might be going on....

stay cool,
greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I wish Gibson made headers for the 2005 Tundra. I would definitely prefer long tubes to the JBA shorties. I am hoping for better luck with this new replacement set from JBA.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
everything i've looked at says the gibson ceramic coated headers were the best, ie: cracks, sound, hp & torque (towing). they do cost more but i don't mind paying for good quality stuff. i wish you the best of luck with the replacements. keep me posted. my mech friend says that if they're not lining up right that when they heat up they'll twist (warp) and usually crack where there is pressure (flange). he also said he was surprized to hear that the jba's were doing this because they are a pretty good header. he's heard of the ssautochromes doing this and some other knock-offs but never with the jba's. he strongly recommends the gibsons esp if your going to be towing anything but make sure you get the ceramic coating because it will lower the engine bay temps and keep their good looks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The mismatch of the mid pipe is the culprit. you hit it on the nail. Do you have a custom exhaust outfit in your area that could custom bend a pipe to match your headers. If so......Hopefully this will be the end of your ordeal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I searched the forum and can't find anyone else reporting this problem. I am now on my third set of JBA headers. The first setup lasted about 8 months with constant re-tightening and collecter flange exhaust leaks then I got the check engine light and it turns out the headers were cracked. JBA replaced them no problem but the next set not only cracked after 2 months but they broke at the mounting flange where they connect to the mid-pipes. JBA has sent another set this time coated but I am beginning to wonder if there is a bigger problem. One thing that I noticed is on the drivers side (side that keeps cracking) the mid-pipe does not line up perfectly with the header, the header is 1.5-2"s higher. With little effort you can line them up and there does not appear to be a great deal of pressure on this. The exhaust is pretty much stock with the exception of an after-market muffler but the position hasn't really changed. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get pics with the install of the new headers.
all i can say is i'm stunned that 3 sets of JBA's are crackin on you....i'm real suprised considering that i swear by JBA, I have them on my 2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Ram AiR.....without my JBA shorties I would never have been able to acheive 11 second timeslips in the 1/4 mile on a internally stock motor.....i went against all odds and proved to alot of people that you don't need 1 3/4" primary's to acheive what i did..........JBA 1 5/8" primary's more than did the job with their superior enginering, air flow and workmanship of their Headers. I'm always flicking the lil red switch mounted on my console when the lights drop at the tree and i got a stall convertor cranked to 3500k. Moral of the story is i've been using aftermarket forced induction into those JBA shorties for 3 seasons now at the track and they have never failed me. only items that have failed are the header gaskets, and that not the headers fault, thats from me pushing a 100 shot through the shorties:D:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts