Toyota Tundra Forums banner

JBA headers on a 2006 tundra

12K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  lalojamesliz 
#1 ·
Ive had my 2006 Tundra 4x4 regular cab since december of last year. Im wondering has any body Installed JBA headers on there 2006 tundra tundra. JBA s website show a gain of 21.8 hp at the rear wheels. Ive read a lot of the old posts concerning the vvti engine . I would be grateful to hear from somebody that has installed the jba headers on there 2006 tundras. Im thinking of pulling a eighteen foot travel trailer . I would like to know if a set of the jba headers are going to make that big of a power difference . Thanks in advance BB KID :tu: :tu:

#2 ·
Search again here and in the engine forum. You loose low end torque with the jba's on the newer vvti engines. How often are you driving around at 4k rpms? Check jba's torque/hp curves for the 05 and 06 and see where the 21 or so hp gain is located. About the only thing to do with these engines is replace the muffler, unless someone designes a long tube header.

#3 ·
Search again here and in the engine forum. You loose low end torque with the jba's on the newer vvti engines. How often are you driving around at 4k rpms? Check jba's torque/hp curves for the 05 and 06 and see where the 21 or so hp gain is located. About the only thing to do with these engines is replace the muffler, unless someone designes a long tube header.
--I've wondered about these and other aftermarket headers myself. While I would hate to lose low end torque and horsepower, I would think the gain at the higher end of the rpm range would be ok, though. While I don't always drive at 4k rpm, I would think a gain of 20+ HP would be beneficial when passing on the highway. Would these header be beneficial in the long run? I don't know. I figure I will keep mine stock. Good luck!

P.S.
Why did the 2006 Tundras lose HP and Torque from the 2005? I just noticed it lost 11 HP, and 12 Ft. lb. Torque. What can be done to "get back" that lost power?

#5 ·
According to JBA the dyno figure discrepancy on their website is due to the trans risking to kick down at lower rpms, so they couldn't put their foot into it as much as with the stock manifolds. Apparently they did a 3rd gear pull with it. To their defense there's no way you can loose that much low end with the headers.

Nonetheless, their headers primaries are too large for the lower rpms. They don't make any more low end power than the stockers, but they do increase the midrange torque considerably. This isn't a surprise because of the stock manifold's poor design. It's pretty clear bean counters were involved with the design process here.

The JBAs are your only option if you have a vvti 05/06. Stay tuned, because i'm going to change this situation in the near future - won't be cheap, but it'll be done right.

#6 ·
It is nice to finally see some folks quoting some facts and not the tired old answer about losing low end performance. VVTI V8 engine only comes with a auto tranny. You can't stomp on it in the low end without it down-shifting and throwing the dyno readings off. The added performace even in the low end would make it easier to downshift. The reason JBA had to 'roll in' the power which makes it look like the low end power suffered. I don't know anyone that has really driven an VVTI engine before and after JBA header installs thinks they lost any low end power. The JBA's along with hi flow Magnaflow (or other performance muffler) makes for a great addition to any VVTI engine!

#7 ·
Thanks for everybody that posted up. On this post Im going to pull the pin and buy a set of the coated headers on wednesday. Ill post after Ive driven a couple of hundred miles. I put a magna flow and ran a three in exhaust pipe out the back so the headers and I like the sound and from what I can tell I did not lose any power on the low end. So a set of headers should be icing on the cake. BBKID

#8 ·
:tu: Hi, BBKid. I bit the bullet and ordered a set today for my '06 4X4 Access Cab. Hopefully, they will be in by this Friday, but more than likely they will get in Monday or Tuesday, because they are shipping from Florida. Heck, as soon as I get those babies on, I will be posting about them, haha! This will be it as far as engine enhancements go. I put on a longer echo tip today, haha. Later. :cool:

#9 ·
I don't know about losing any low end, but I can feel the perfomance boost throughout on my 05 DC. I'm thinking of having my truck put on the dyno to see what it can really do. JBAs are a plus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.