Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive tried to look up searches on both but no success. so, ive heard good things about both, but i recently spoke to a rep who sold both mfg and said in his experience the doug thorley have more power and come with a ceramic coating on whereas jba is additional for coatings. also he mentioned that the jba shorty's have had an issue with leaks and welds breaking,but i have not heard of that happening. he also said that the jba's are made in mexico and thorley's in the us...so, i'm on the fence between the two. i have read good things about both of them but want your guys opinion who are running them and the quality,etc. your input will be greatly appriciated. thank you in advance:)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I have no issues so far with mine. I didn't bother with coatings, where I live it isn't really needed. Here's a photo, I think the quality is good. The gaskets they provide are terrible, I don't recommend using them for anything other than laughter.:lol:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I have had JBAs on my 2003 for over three years. Very pleased with them. I did use new stock gaskets, in place of the JBA provided ones. Regarding the tech info, I suggest you google them both. There are a number of places where one may download power curves etc.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I like the varieties of beer you have in every pic there tundrunk lol!!

Oh, I have had my JBA's for about 5 months now and very pleased with the gains, I highly recommend!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
BoostBrothers.com :: By Part Type :: NA Performance Headers :: Tundra 4.7L 05-06 Shorty Headers with Y-Pipe
I got a set of these last year on ebay for $80 shipped. I figured if they were junk, I wasn't out much. So far, I've been impressed. Made in USA and comes with the y-pipe. Excellent quality, welds, fit, etc. I've run them for about a year now with no problems. I did use the OEM style FelPro gaskets when I installed them. They used to offer them ceramic coated, but I don't know if they still do.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i belive here there are posted graph's from both DT & JBA.
also unless they changed there web site's format they used to have the dyno graph on each 1's web site.
i went with JBA due to there outstanding quality & customer service, & life time warrenty.
i also went with OEM gaskets well worth the money.
unless you don't mind going back in for the 1st few months & retighening ALL bolt's.
once you realize what it takes to take them out, you don't want to go back to retighten them EVER again.
i don't know why people say you don't have low end power i have power all the way.
but in fairness i have alot of mod's.
good luck in your decision & the job,
gorilla

·
Registered
374 Posts
everything he said except i have DT. the difference is so insignicant it wont matter.
whatever you do be sure to buy the OEM gaskets. put mine on 2 yrs ago this month and have never had to tighten anything.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input guys, it was very helpful and i've decided to go with:drum: the jba's. got a pretty decent deal on them through ebay-but the shipping to hawaii is killing me:rip:. i'm super stoked to get them and put um on...will let you know how it goes. also do you guys know where to get cheap oem gaskets or do i just go to the stealership:beatsme:thanks again friends:grouphug:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I got the Fel Pro, which look identical to OEM, from rockauto.com. It was under $60 for the set.
even though your sig makes me want to jizz in my pants every time i see it the point of getting headers is better air flow...the oem design sucks ***.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
whatever you do be sure to buy the OEM gaskets.
the oem design sucks ***.
In your first post, you recommended OEM gaskets, and in your next post you say they suck.:confused: What do you recommend? I suggested the Fel Pro because they are steel 3 layer gaskets identical to OEM, but they are about 50% cheaper. I've had them over a year, and haven't had to retorque any of the fasteners.:tu:

·
Registered
374 Posts
dude with sexy avatar.....I didnt know you were refering to the gaskets. sounded like the reference was to the headers. my bad bro.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts