Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 access cab that has some bolt on's and i am debating on adding the jba y pipe. I have the Volant cai, Jba cat back, and a power tower thottle body spacer. The truck is going in to have a set of jba headers put on (silver Ceramic coated). I also purchased the jba y pipe and was going to have the shop put it on when they do the headers. My last step is to add a brand new unichip mapped with all my mods. Do you think i am going to lose torque with the y pipe? I also have 18'' chrome moto metal 951's with 285's so that add's some weight. I pull a fishing boat and ski boat every now and then and dont want to lose any torque. Thanks for all the input,

Jt

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, this has been asked & answered.
but there are many opinion's.
my exhaust shop said this: that y pipe is there for a reason: back pressure.
so i left mine alone.
do as you see fit.
what you could do is dyno without it, than install it & dyno with it.
than you will know for sure.
opinions are all over the place. everyone has 1.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
hi, this has been asked & answered.
but there are many opinion's.
my exhaust shop said this: that y pipe is there for a reason: back pressure.
so i left mine alone.
do as you see fit.
what you could do is dyno without it, than install it & dyno with it.
than you will know for sure.
opinions are all over the place. everyone has 1.
good luck,
gorilla

That's what I would do...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
My headers came with a new y-pipe. I installed the headers but kept the stock y-pipe because of all the stuff I read about losing lowend torque. I got tired of seeing the new one laying around, so I had it installed a few months ago. I haven't noticed a difference in power or mileage. It does sound better without the resonator.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a high flow Y pipe with headers and a cat back system. No loss of bottom end power from my experience. Just remember you have 2 cats that add restriction before you even get to the Y pipe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info gents. I will give it a try and will report the results when the work is all done.

Jt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts