Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it work or is it a waste. Im installing on JBA headers and a muffler will this help?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a waste. While I didn't notice significant gains when I installed mine, I also didn't feel the negative effects on low end torque I had read about on here. The only major difference I noticed was the improvement in sound without the resonator.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was looking into this mod as well. So it does replace the length of pipe where the resonator is? How much louder is the exhaust note?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you see the gains at if at all? I heard it only helps the upper rpm range.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I installed the headers and muffler at the same time. I noticed an increase in the low end immediately. I left the stock y-pipe and resonator on for the first several months because I didn't want loud exhaust and I kept reading on here that the aftermarket y-pipe would kill low end torque. The exhaust ended up being only slightly louder than stock and curiosity got the best of me, so I had the new y-pipe installed a few months ago. The new y-pipe bolts on where the existing pipe does and extends far enough to replace the resonator w/o having to scab in extra pipe. IMO the exhaust sounds much better. Deep tone and not obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, there are a few thread's & ton's of posts for each thread.
opinions vary, for owner's who did or didn't do it.
what it feel's like without the OEM Y pipe, are opinion's.
same with the jba Y pipe: what it feels like, again opinion's.

as many members here like to say is: where is the hard data?
like a dyno before & after.
but to date, i have yet to see any, from a member.

like i have said, if you want it, go for it, it's your ride.

i persoanly was told by my exhaust shop, to leave it there for back pressure.
my dyno is with all my mod's and the stock Y pipe.
and my results to date have yet to be matched, for what mod's i have.

dyno before with the OEM Y pipe in place, than cut it off add the jba Y pipe & dyno again.
but as we all know every time you dyno, there is always a different result.
so the gain would have to be larger than 5HP & or 5 foot pounds of torque, because that happens,
almost on every run.
thats why when i see the lighter smaller pully that everyone raves about, that gives 3 more hp. to me, is funny.
& you loose alternator amp's.

as we can already see, by the thread about the scanguage amps/volts you can see that when alot of accessorys are on, it drop's sometimes so much. why would you want to drop it further, for a max of 3HP, if that is really what you get in total.
just my .02cent's,
gorilla

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
hi, there are a few thread's & ton's of posts for each thread.
opinions vary, for owner's who did or didn't do it.
what it feel's like without the OEM Y pipe, are opinion's.
same with the jba Y pipe: what it feels like, again opinion's.

as many members here like to say is: where is the hard data?
like a dyno before & after.
but to date, i have yet to see any, from a member.

like i have said, if you want it, go for it, it's your ride.

i persoanly was told by my exhaust shop, to leave it there for back pressure.
my dyno is with all my mod's and the stock Y pipe.
and my results to date have yet to be matched, for what mod's i have.

dyno before with the OEM Y pipe in place, than cut it off add the jba Y pipe & dyno again.
but as we all know every time you dyno, there is always a different result.
so the gain would have to be larger than 5HP & or 5 foot pounds of torque, because that happens,
almost on every run.
thats why when i see the lighter smaller pully that everyone raves about, that gives 3 more hp. to me, is funny.
& you loose alternator amp's.

as we can already see, by the thread about the scanguage amps/volts you can see that when alot of accessorys are on, it drop's sometimes so much. why would you want to drop it further, for a max of 3HP, if that is really what you get in total.
just my .02cent's,
gorilla
The OP wants to know if the y-pipe is a waste. I offered my opinion because I actually have an aftermarket y-pipe installed on my truck. I can't speak for everyone, but there is not a local shop here with a chassis dyno. Even if there was, I wouldn't do I before and after run to check for 3-4 hp gains for every mod I do. That time and money can be better spent on more mods. As for your alt pulley claim, smaller pulley = alt turning more rpms = more voltage.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The OP wants to know if the y-pipe is a waste. I offered my opinion because I actually have an aftermarket y-pipe installed on my truck. I can't speak for everyone, but there is not a local shop here with a chassis dyno. Even if there was, I wouldn't do I before and after run to check for 3-4 hp gains for every mod I do. That time and money can be better spent on more mods. As for your alt pulley claim, smaller pulley = alt turning more rpms = more voltage.

hi better re read the thread on the pully.
enlightening. you would thnink that, but everyone that has spoken on this has gone the other way.
so use the search button.
as for the pully, it's already explained.
no hard feeling.:angel:
gorilla

·
Registered
186 Posts
well it depends on what your doing ... if your gona do a lot of bolt ons then yea i would go for it... let it breath...

i need to get some high flow cats..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Honestly, if you are looking for a nice, deep rumble I would leave the resonator in place and replace the muffler with a straight pipe. I had this done to mine and it sounds deeper than my Suburban with a Flowmaster 50 installed. It doesn't drone at any speed and costs $30-$50 max. I left the resonator in to keep it from popping.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
overall sounds like a good idea i just want to get the best setup with my truck. I have found by being on here that tundras are real picky about what works and what doesnt

·
2,445 Posts
overall sounds like a good idea i just want to get the best setup with my truck. I have found by being on here that tundras are real picky about what works and what doesnt
HA, almost as picky as the owners :lol:

I speak from personal experience. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts