Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously reported that the 440w sound system included with my DC Limited NAV package was awesome and well worth the cash, at least for a factory radio. Up until recently I had only taken the volume up to 40 or so and it was pretty loud / clean so I was impressed. I was also operating under the assumption that max volume would setting would be 100 so I figured I had plenty of room left to go yet.

Well today I put the finishing touches on my custom XM Radio installation so I decided to give the amplifier and subwoofer a full test. I switched on a typical gangster rap song with lots of deep heavy bass, then gradually worked the volume up to 60 and it was loud / clean the whole way. Once again very impressive especially for a factory system since they usually don't have very good bass or distortion ratings. When I tried to take it the rest of the way up and check out the max output, however, the NAV unit stopped the volume at 62 and reported "maximum level".

What the heck? Max volume is 62? Not 70, 80, 90, 100, 61, 65, 68, etc?? While the sound was still reasonably loud / clean even at 62 I was disappointed with the overall sound level for a system which is supposed to have 440w, is on their top of the line truck, and wasn't cheap. So now I am thinking that just like every other stereo manufacturer, Toyota and JBL have advertised the total wattage as follows:

44 watts PEAK per channel [X] 10 channels [=] 440 watts total

Most likely the peak output includes between 5-10% THD sampled at a fairly high frequency. So the only thing that didn't make sense was that at 62 there really wasn't much audible distortion at all, which wouldn't be true if the cheap system was maxed out, so I am wondering if the audio system has some kind of limiting device to limit the volume before distortion kicks in, or before you overload a given speaker like I was attempting to do with the boomin bass.

I know the NAV unit has an "ASL" feature which I think is to level the sound output when you switch stations or play CDs which have a wide dynamic range. If so then ASL shouldn't limit the total volume. Any ideas? Has anyone else gotten a higher volume level than 62 and/or heard audible distortion?

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
I had the 10 speaker JBL w/ sub on my previous 4Runner and it did the same thing, in fact, I think it maxed out at 62 as well. No real noticible distortion at this level, and it was loud, but I've heard louder, I'm kind of bummed to hear this is the case on the Tundra. Hopefully the 62 on the Tundra is much louder than on my 4Runner...

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I know the NAV unit has an "ASL" feature which I think is to level the sound output when you switch stations or play CDs which have a wide dynamic range. If so then ASL shouldn't limit the total volume. Any ideas? Has anyone else gotten a higher volume level than 62 and/or heard audible distortion?
ASL = Automatic Sound Levelizer

Basically, it automatically raises the volume level to compensate for the increase in noise level inside the vehicle as you drive faster.

If you want to blast away, go aftermarket. Replace speakers, add amplifer, replace head unit, add subs, etc. If you compare factory
speakers with quality aftermarket speakers, you'll see how cheaply
factory speakers are made.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My stereo stops at 62 as well. Some of my other cars (vette, camaro, etc.) had BOSE systems in them that did the same thing - they would only go so high...never allowing you to turn them up loud enough to distort them.

I am happy with the stock system, and only find myself wanting more volume after listenting to it for extended periods of time (as my ears get acclimated to the inevitable climb of volume knob). The only thing I'm unhappy with is how severely my interior rattles when I turn it up past 20 and the bass hits... My doors rattle uncontrollably (e.g., I can't even push on parts of the door to stop the rattle). I guess I'll have to bring it in and have a shop add some sound deadening wrap to insulate everything (had to do this to my land cruiser as well when I added a high end aftermarket system, they added this thick, tar like wrap to the inside of my doors and it stopped all the rattling).

·
Registered
175 Posts
this is gonna suck.. i got a 550x4 amp for the door speakers, ( whick are being replaced with alpine type R's ) and a 1500x1 for 3 jl 10's sitting on my floor right now..but i hate interior rattles. im gonna really have to deaden the body if its rattleing at 440X10 :eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
For a stock factory system, the JBL system is very good. For comparison, I have an aftermarket Pioneer setup in my car, and the volume too only goes up to "62". It seems to be an arbitrary limit a lot of audio makers put into their setup. But "62" is relative, and could be very loud, depending on your sub, amp, and speaker setup. My friend has a high end audio setup in his car, and even at a volume of "50", it's incredibly loud, much more so than my Pioneer system at "62".

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the stock six speaker single cd system and my mp3 through the aux port was not loud enough at volume 62. I copied the files to a cd-R and what a difference! At volume 62, it is enjoyably loud, crisp, clear, and the bass is so good that I will forego an add-on subwoofer. It is much better than the Bose in my Suburban. I just wish I had the six cd b/c I couldn't fit all of the files on a single disc. Overall, I am more than satisfied by the stock unit.:tu:

·
Registered
251 Posts
The only thing I'm unhappy with is how severely my interior rattles when I turn it up past 20 and the bass hits... My doors rattle uncontrollably (e.g., I can't even push on parts of the door to stop the rattle).
Is it just one door that is rattling or all doors??? I am thinking that something isn't right. I have had my truck for a little over a month now and have fully excercised the volume limitation on my system numerous times and have never heard a single rattle from anything. I am wondering if something hasn't come loose inside your door. Possibly the speaker itself. I would be taking it back to the dealer and demanding that it be repaired. If they give you any crap about it being normal, go sit in a new one on the lot and crank the stereo and I am thinking your not going to hear any rattling. This vehicle is way to expensive to be to doing that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To answer the rattle question:

It is all doors - basically everything rattles and I mean a lot. I don't think the speakers are blown as I don't hear the tale tale flap sound they make when blown, but everything else rattles like crazy.

I will try to bring it back to the dealer and find out if it's something they'll fix. I'll be honest, I agree with you in the $$ statement, I paid a lot of money for my limited 4x4 dc and I was shocked :eek: when I heard how much rattling was going on. That being said though, my land cruiser was quite expensive and had the same problem - however it was only after I upgraded my stock system.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My truck never rattles at all, no shaking or loose vibrations with the stereo on, maxed out, or turned off. Perhaps it is the quality of your source music. Some sources or songs have distortion in them to begin with which will sound like crap or rattling when you turn it up loud, even on a great system.

I am OK with the JBL system maxing out at 62. The actual maximum number doesn't matter to me. What disappointed me was that the total sound output at 62 was much lower than I initially expected, since I reasonably assumed that a double-digit volume indicator would use 99 or 100 as the maximum value, thus I was initially thrilled with the sound output at 40 when I figured that the maximum output would be more than double that.

This is similar to buying a big bag of potato chips which is about 16" tall X 12" wide and figuring that you can snack for a week, then when open the bag you find out that 70% of the content was air. The chips still taste good but they won't last as long and they may not have been worth the extra price you paid for the "big bag".

I still feel that the JBL factory system is very good, perhaps one of the best factory systems I have ever heard, but it is not worth the full price that is charged for the upgrade. So if you are still waiting to buy your Tundra, be advised that the volume indicator is misleading and you will eventually find out that the bag is at least 38% empty. Personally I believe the audio manufacturers use a double-digit indicator on purpose to create the "big bag" illusion, just like their crappy marketing of 440w when the actual RMS is more like 20w per speaker with a THD of 5-10%... ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but I promise you it's not the source music, it's definately the panels (doors, etc.) rattling - very definately the plastics and etc. in the doors.

Jeez, it's sounds like I'm bashing my truck but I'm not - I like the system, I just don't like the plastic buzzing like it does...again, I think it can be corrected for $250+ dollars at a high end stereo shop by installing the the door backing I spoke of earlier.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestion, but I promise you it's not the source music, it's definately the panels (doors, etc.) rattling - very definately the plastics and etc. in the doors.

Jeez, it's sounds like I'm bashing my truck but I'm not - I like the system, I just don't like the plastic buzzing like it does...again, I think it can be corrected for $250+ dollars at a high end stereo shop by installing the the door backing I spoke of earlier.
Totally understand. The sound-isolation panels and undercoating are a good idea anyway since they make the ride more comfortable even when the stereo is off.

The only reservation I have is letting some teenage auidophile tear apart the doors on my new and quite expensive Tundra, especially with all the electronics, power windows, locks, heater mirrors, wires, etc which get in the way. If you do have the panels installed then also get the undercoating on the floor. I would like to hear more from others that had this done re: cost and overall quality / value.

·
Registered
175 Posts
getting the doors deadened is nice, going as far as the floor though is a pain in the a**. ive built a few trucks before, and had some massive stereo's in them. deadening the inside of the outter skin of the door, and the inner panel and the door panel its self on all doors, as well as the back wall of the cab and roof is the farthest ive gone ( the carpet usually works fine for hideing rattles and road noise ) for the 450 watt stereo just doing the door panels with deadener should clear up most or all of the
rattles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts