Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to install the new JBL (with everything) head unit into a non JBL Tundra. I have received a lot of different information from dealers and installers on the ability, difficulty of doing this. I don't want to sell my OEM HU to someone and it not work.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The JBL system likely has a hidden amp somewhere in the truck. It might be under one of the seats. This would probably be the second most difficult part of the swap, second to the steering wheel controls. I don't see why it couldn't be done, though.

If you can get the JBL system cheap, you could tinker with it for a while to get it right. However, if you want a shop to do the work you would come out cheaper just getting an aftermarket system, IMO.

HTH

-Tim

·
Registered
175 Posts
I finished the last piece of my non-JBL to JBL system with the tweeter covers today, minus the steering wheel controls. I was able to buy the 10 speakers and amplifier from someone off of craigslist, the JBL HU (wish it had the NAV, but doesn't) from a forum member, and the tweeter covers from Toyota. Fortunately the amplifier had the wiring harnesses, but I had to buy a HU harness and wire everything. A lot of work for a minimum upgrade, but I enjoy that stuff.

Like another member said, if your prospective buyer is going to have it professionally installed; they may want to consider another system. This system works for me, but I'm not into crazy loud either.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i should have bought the truck with the JBL system. Highly regretful. I think Toyota made the best JBL system for the Tundra. There's lots of regrets here:

like I should have bought the 4 wheel drive instead of 2 wheel drive.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
The JBL system is NOT worth the cost of the upgrade... in my honest opinion. It's still a very basic radio, with only marginally better speakers... You can upgrade the stock speakers yourself and get a much better system, and for much cheaper.

sixfour
can tell you all the details --- but making non-JBL into JBL is alot of work! You have to run wiring to the JBL amp, then from the JBL amp back to the speaker wiring... and, you're not really improving the sound quality all that much (for the cost) and the radio display is the same. Oh, and you still have to find the JBL unit, wiring harnesses, JBL-Amp, and JBL speakers. (The JBL stock unit has passive signal to the amp, so you must have the amp for it to work. The standard stock radio, on the other hand, has its' own built-in amp.

Personally, I chose to add an aftermarket head-unit (A Pioneer NAV/GPS unit) --- with its' built in 45x4 amp, it sounds WAY better than stock, and about oh... 50% better than a JBL equipped system.. I guess.? And, that's just with the stock speakers, which I plan to change out sometime, but not really in a big hurry. The Pioneer's customizable EQ (most aftermarket units have similar) can really get the stock speakers to life, and actually get you some nice clear bass.... it's not enough to wake the neighbors by any means, but it'll vibrate the view in the mirrors just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts