Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a well maintained 2005 Tundra 4.7 v8. From the start the sound system was below average in quality even though they were JBL which is a pretty ok speaker.

I know the speakers are no blown because they all worked once for about 10 minutes (and were really! good) then just stopped and went back to the usual two front door speakers which deliver horrible quality.

- I have tried everything, all the settings on the head unit are where they should be its like the speakers have like super loose connections and sometime pop back in and out..IS THIS COMMON...:confused:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not common... I think you may have a problem with the Amplifier, or the head unit.. Speakers do not blow out at the same time. One at a time yes, but not at the same time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry this is not a solution but a "me too" post...

I have the exact same problem. See if this fits your situation also... I have an O7 Limited.... JBL... The sound is lacking on the R side. You can balance and tell a noticeable difference from the Left to Right... The left is clear with highs and lows, whereas the Right sounds like it is muffled with a piece of foam (no mids/high), it is muffled. It will intermittently do it also. The dealer just replaced the head unit and it did not fix the problem. He said the original head unit was a problem when they first came out and they replaced hundreds of them, another manufacturer of the JBL were the replacements. I thought JBL was JBL? He also said they checked all speaker connections and they were fine.

I finally got the truck to the dealer and they said they would keep it until they fix it this time. I was wondering if there was something wrong with my speakers also, the front door speakers put out nothing but bass. I have watched the center speaker and it does not even move a grain of sand when playing a good song loud.

I hope this further explains your situation and someone has a solution for us both.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sorry this is not a solution but a "me too" post...

I have the exact same problem. See if this fits your situation also... I have an O7 Limited.... JBL... The sound is lacking on the R side. You can balance and tell a noticeable difference from the Left to Right... The left is clear with highs and lows, whereas the Right sounds like it is muffled with a piece of foam (no mids/high), it is muffled. It will intermittently do it also. The dealer just replaced the head unit and it did not fix the problem. He said the original head unit was a problem when they first came out and they replaced hundreds of them, another manufacturer of the JBL were the replacements. I thought JBL was JBL? He also said they checked all speaker connections and they were fine.

I finally got the truck to the dealer and they said they would keep it until they fix it this time. I was wondering if there was something wrong with my speakers also, the front door speakers put out nothing but bass. I have watched the center speaker and it does not even move a grain of sand when playing a good song loud.

I hope this further explains your situation and someone has a solution for us both.
It could be several things, the JBL amp which is under the passenger seat is bad, a wiring problem, or bad speakers. First thing they should do is check the amp since they already replaced the head unit...I have the JBL and it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't have any problems like that with mine but I just think the JBL system is no better then the stock system I had in the old AC. It just seems like it should be a really good system but is average at best. I was just kinda disappointed with it.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I know it's apples and oranges, but this happened in my wife's Maxima with the Bose system. Left side would be gone while playing CDs, or playing anything, anytime it was cold. Turned out to be the head unit. I yanked the whole system out and replaced with aftermarket stuff. I don't know about the OEM JBL's, but those factory Maxima speakers that said "Bose" all over them, were paper speakers that reminded me of the speakers in 70s vintage Zenith televisions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me on my 2004 tundra limited. There’s a product on Amazon for the 7” speaker foam replacement kit which details this exact issue: the speaker foam degrades making a rattling sound on bass. Has anyone Here used that repair kit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: I used the speaker repair kit for the sponge that is around the JBL speakers in the door. Scraped that degrading sponge off and glued the replacement speaker foam-thing in the repair kit to the JBL speaker directly and the rattling/blown-speaker sound is completely gone and the speaker sounds great again. Give it a go! I'm not going to link it, but the repair kit was $30 on Amazon. FSK-7M-Toyota

1 - 9 of 9 Posts