Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the forums and have a quick question. I've done a quick search but didnt notice this one.. if its a repost i apologize.

I own a 2007 DC tundra w/JBL, and am looking into sub options, as the stock sub kinda sucks...:td:

I had two alpine type Rs and a Kicker 750x1 driving them in my old RAM. It was way too much bass... Looking for a different alternative in my tundra, without sacrificing room under my rear seats.

Is it possible to utilizt the box that the Stock 8" is in, under the DS rear seat with an aftermarket 8" sub? for instance a JL 8" speaker? Or am i better off removing that box, and building my own? i am not sure what the volume is in the stock box, or if it would be sufficient for an aftermarket speaker.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Bill

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
yes it is but...ill bet that box is only rated for like 200watts and if you put a JL in it you would blow the lid off that sucker...its best to just go all aftermarket...hifisoundconnection has some great options...they have a box that fits under the seat and you can throw a JL w3 in it...or the custom 2 sub box that is made for the DC...check it out lots of options.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
the box i used from kicker with the shallow mount 12 cvt is dimensions...14"L 20"W 4"bottom height and 6 1/2" top height fits perfect and has about 10" of room still depth wise under the seat

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY for the replies!

I will look into that option. I really would like to keep the under seat storage area under the PS rear seat, as i keep jumper cables and tie downs there all the time.

I am not looking to win any SPL competitions any time soon, Just would like to heat the bass pedal a little more than the pathetic JBL sub back there now :D

I am not sure i would put more than 200w rms into that box. Maybe what ill do is buy the sub first and try it in the stock box and see how it holds up/sounds.

By any chance, do you know the volume on the stock box? Acoustically speaking, it would probably be beter if i built my own, tuned to the specs on the speaker i choose.

Im a big Kicker fan, so i may go that route.

Anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks again!

-Bill

·
Registered
404 Posts
Krewitup,

You got any photos of how your box fits under the seat? Is it towards the back with the thick part facing towards the back? My install is done but I'm always looking at alternative options.

Thanks,

Wes

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
i sure dont but i will soon my blackberry camera is broken i will tell you i put the smallest height to the rear and the tallest to the front with the 20 inches spreading across the back of the rear driver seat and 14" deep the amp is to the right of that with the passenger rear seat left for all the cables and jack and stuff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bill,
I have a 2010 DC with an 8" JL sub that I have mounted in a custom box under my rear passenger seat, ( I removed the jack) powered by an external amp. It sounded good, but this past weekend I installed Dynamat in the doors, it now sounds great and the doors no longer have that "clangy" sound when you let go of the door handle, they now close like a vault door. For around $55. I got the 4 sheet kit with 3 sq ft per sheet, I peeled the door panels off, pulled the plastic back. Then cut it into strips and applied it to the inside face of the door skin. It took about an hour per door and I think it is the single best and cheapest upgrade while doing a stereo upgrade.
SScott

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's a good sub to use for someone who doesn't really want a "thumping" sound like in hip hop and rap??? I mainly listen to rock (Pearl Jam, GnR, Rob Zombie, etc.), alternative (Flobots, White Stripes, etc.), and hard rock (Pantera, Type O Negative, Megadeth, etc.). I just want a better overall sound -- i'm not looking to make my mirror move or rattle the windows or anything like that. I just had a back up camera installed at best buy, and the installer suggested i go with a single 10. I don't really know much about it, but it seems like an 8 would be even better for my purposes. Does that sound close, or am i way off???

I just bought the truck (2007 DC limited), and this was already installed: alpine HU and working steering wheel controls, alpine amp, and focal components in the front doors and pillars. No other speakers are currently hooked up. The installer suggests a pair of infinity's for the back doors. Should i just do that and skip the sub, or will i get better sound by adding the sub now (plus another amp for it) and hold off on the back doors??? I don't want to do the doors and the sub together because of the cost, so i'm looking at doing one or the other.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What's a good sub to use for someone who doesn't really want a "thumping" sound like in hip hop and rap??? I mainly listen to rock (Pearl Jam, GnR, Rob Zombie, etc.), alternative (Flobots, White Stripes, etc.), and hard rock (Pantera, Type O Negative, Megadeth, etc.). I just want a better overall sound -- i'm not looking to make my mirror move or rattle the windows or anything like that. I just had a back up camera installed at best buy, and the installer suggested i go with a single 10. I don't really know much about it, but it seems like an 8 would be even better for my purposes. Does that sound close, or am i way off???

I just bought the truck (2007 DC limited), and this was already installed: alpine HU and working steering wheel controls, alpine amp, and focal components in the front doors and pillars. No other speakers are currently hooked up. The installer suggests a pair of infinity's for the back doors. Should i just do that and skip the sub, or will i get better sound by adding the sub now (plus another amp for it) and hold off on the back doors??? I don't want to do the doors and the sub together because of the cost, so i'm looking at doing one or the other.
I'd say to add the sub. The rear speakers are just for rear fill and you will probably notice little to no improvement over what you already have. The subwoofer will fill in the bottom end where your Focals simply cannot reach and give you a more full sound than you have now.

-Wes

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd say to add the sub. The rear speakers are just for rear fill and you will probably notice little to no improvement over what you already have. The subwoofer will fill in the bottom end where your Focals simply cannot reach and give you a more full sound than you have now.

-Wes
Thanks for the reply! What you posted makes sense. Right now, it's like there's something missing. If the previous owner put as much money into the current set-up as the best buy installer seems to think they did, then i think they got ripped off. As is, the system just doesn't sound as good as it should, IMO, and i'm by no means an audiophile. I don't have to have the latest, greatest stuff, and i can't detect differences in equipment, but i can tell that something definitely seems to be missing in my current set-up. I think i will add the sub and see how that goes. I'm thinking an 8 ought to be plenty for me.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hi everyone, new to the forums and have a quick question. I've done a quick search but didnt notice this one.. if its a repost i apologize.

I own a 2007 DC tundra w/JBL, and am looking into sub options, as the stock sub kinda sucks...:td:

I had two alpine type Rs and a Kicker 750x1 driving them in my old RAM. It was way too much bass... Looking for a different alternative in my tundra, without sacrificing room under my rear seats.

Is it possible to utilizt the box that the Stock 8" is in, under the DS rear seat with an aftermarket 8" sub? for instance a JL 8" speaker? Or am i better off removing that box, and building my own? i am not sure what the volume is in the stock box, or if it would be sufficient for an aftermarket speaker.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Bill
If i remember right, the JL will not fit in the stock enclosure. I think the mounting depth in that box was around 3.75" or so. I originally wanted the JL, but i think it was like a 4" mounting depth.

I put a Kicker CVT 8" in my existing box, and i'm fairly satisfied with it. It's got 400w peak and 200 RMS. Sounds just fine with all other stock components. It'll vibrate the rear view mirrors AND the outside ones, with Ticks by Brad paisley playing.

3.38" mounting depth on this speaker. Part # 08CVT84

Worth the $100 for the sub IMO.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If i remember right, the JL will not fit in the stock enclosure. I think the mounting depth in that box was around 3.75" or so. I originally wanted the JL, but i think it was like a 4" mounting depth.

I put a Kicker CVT 8" in my existing box, and i'm fairly satisfied with it. It's got 400w peak and 200 RMS. Sounds just fine with all other stock components. It'll vibrate the rear view mirrors AND the outside ones, with Ticks by Brad paisley playing.

3.38" mounting depth on this speaker. Part # 08CVT84

Worth the $100 for the sub IMO.
Thanks for your input! what amp is driving the kicker sub?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thanks for your input! what amp is driving the kicker sub?
Stock JBL amp under the passengers seat in my 07 DC Tundra. I think it's fairly adequate but i don't need to rattle my teeth out either.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stock JBL amp under the passengers seat in my 07 DC Tundra. I think it's fairly adequate but i don't need to rattle my teeth out either.
do we know if the stock JBL amp is 2ohm stable in that channel?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a small box for a single 8" made for under the seat that fits in between the storage box and the back of the cab. It sounds ok for now. I was also thinking of adding one more woofer to the other side. I dont have JBL so i had to make my own enclosure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts