Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a JL Audio thin line 13TW5-3 in thier CM yet? Here is the set up I am going for: Kenwood Excelon DNX-8120 HU, Focal 165 KRX3 with JL 300/4 v1 to power the front speakers. Focal 165 KRX2 for rear with JL HD900/5 to power the rear and sub. I am interested to know how the JL Audio thin line 13TW5-3 sounds.

I am in the process of Sound Deadening the entire cab right now including behind the dash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opted (chickened) out of removing my dash to install Sound Deadener. I did not want to run the risk of creating noises from my dash at this point. Considering that my truck is brand new and I do not have any squeeks coming from my dash right now. I did install deadener as far as I could reach under the dash though. The stock system really sounds good. May not change anything until it breaks now. Completed at this point: Door, ceiling, pilars, floor and back cabin wall behind rear seats. Can still hear some tire noise, but it is much quieter than before. People speaking from the back seat can clearly be heard. It's not like it was really bad before I did this work, but it truely is much better now.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I opted (chickened) out of removing my dash to install Sound Deadener. I did not want to run the risk of creating noises from my dash at this point. Considering that my truck is brand new and I do not have any squeeks coming from my dash right now. I did install deadener as far as I could reach under the dash though. The stock system really sounds good. May not change anything until it breaks now. Completed at this point: Door, ceiling, pilars, floor and back cabin wall behind rear seats. Can still hear some tire noise, but it is much quieter than before. People speaking from the back seat can clearly be heard. It's not like it was really bad before I did this work, but it truely is much better now.
First time I heard that one? Bro you had such big plans??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a follow up, the stock system on my 2010 Limited CM still sounds great to me. Everything is still working properly and the stock speakers have not blown out yet. Multiple passengers in my truck asked me what upgrades I made to the stock sound system and I tell them that I haven't changed anything, except for installing sound deadening material throughout the entire cab. Worth every penny and the hours of hard work rolling that crap out. I just read up on Sound Deadener Showdown. I will try that route in my next vehicle. Makes sense to me. If anyone has done it, please tell me how it went. Any trouble getting the carpet or roof material back in place after install? If I know myself, I will still purchase the Amps and Speakers sometime down the road. As I get an itch to upgrade something on my truck every month. LOL I just installed the TRD Sway Bar. The next immediate thing is PIAA 1500 back up lights to help with the poor lighting at night.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Bluepelican, nice set up and great pics. Almost makes me want to tear out all the excessive Dynamat that I installed in my cab and start over with Sound Deadner Showdown materials. Ummm, I said almost. I'm an old man and my fingers, knuckels, arms, neck, legs, and back are telling me I'm done with sound deading my new truck. I wish I would have read up on Sound Deadner Showdown before I went on the Dynamat road. Old dogs with new tricks. But oh well, the money and days of work are already done and gone. Your install makes me also want to upgrade my speakers, sub and amps. So, I will not visit your thread again, and hopefully this thought will go away. LMAO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts