Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: This is for sale! Starting to house-shop, so we need to build up the bank account. See the listing here: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...09490-07-tundra-sequoia-navigation-unit-fits/

Well, I wasn't really going to attempt this... but just after I sold my Pioneer Nav unit, a member was selling his '07 Factory Nav unit for a price I couldn't pass up (with broken CD-changer - no biggie, I'll use my ipod)... Thanks Pete!

So anyhow, I began researching how to add the Factory NAV to my non-JBL truck. What I discovered is that up until a few months ago, you could find the necessary harnesses from 'Steve' the service manager at Langely Toyota, British Columbia... then you'd have to find an '06 Sienna amp & some other pieces.... unfortunately, the parts are no longer available.

If you were going to try to find the parts yourself (thanks to several other TS members!!!) these are the parts you'd need:
- Nav unit with DVD, Mounting brackets
- Antenna
- JBL Amp from 2006-09 Sienna
- Amp bracket
- Audio-Upgrade harness (C0069-33020) $48 (only works with Sienna amp)
- Reverse & Speed wiring harness (C0069-000G5) $5
- Aux & Steering Wheel Harness (C0069-33010) $45
- Shielded Wiring harness (C0069-33007) $6
- Microphone harness (unknown part # & price)

But again, you can no longer get the Audio-Upgrade wiring harness, which is the connector & setup that would convert the non-JBL harnesses into JBL-ready ones.

-----
Then, someone tipped me off to ebay member "ToyoLexNavSpec" who might be able to find the parts for me. I contacted him - turns out he lives about 15 mins away from me in Troy, Michigan. His name is Tahir Mahmood Mallick and he can be reached either through ebay or his email, [email protected].

Tahir actually makes the wiring-harnesses himself, and he sold me a Toyota JBL amp & the needed pre-made harness for a total of $350. Here's what the amp & ready-made harness looks like:

--------------

This turned out to be REALLY EASY!!! Basically, I fit the amp under the center console, ran the wiring harness up behind the radio and connected everything. The only difficult part was: Do you see the 2 loose wires at the bottom of the pic? Those are for the voice function and had to be connected into an existing harness (big deal, I know :) ). We also had to move the "Microphone" wires from their original harness, and into a new 24-pin "microphone" harness, which luckily Pedro included with the sale of the nav unit; all I had to do was take the 5 wires out of the original truck harness, and pin them into the 24-pin harness. The last thing I had to do was take the Speed-Sensor wire out of the 20-pin stock harness (pin#3) and connect it to the pin#3 slot where the "Revers & Speed wiring harness" would go (we didn't have that harness, but instead secured the wire/pin onto the unit).

Everything works perfectly with one exception: My 2010 Tundra has a combined Aux/USB plug, and the 07-09 models have just an Aux plug. The harness setup is completely different, and so we didn't bother connecting the Aux since I won't be using it anyhow.

So, here's the finished product... I paid a total of $700 for the complete install ($350 for the unit, $350 for the wiring). I haven't played with it too much, but it seems to be an okay system. It does look better in the dash then my aftermarket Pioneer Nav did, and it responds a little faster... the maps render quickly and I've had really good experiences with the directions.

-----------------------------------------------
(EDIT: I found a Sequoia Nav unit for sale for $600, which matches the color and has a working CD Drive! Yaay!) This brought the total cost to around $950, not counting shipping, etc. I sold the original one back on ebay for almost what I paid for it, so it worked out.

-------------------------------

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Great job and info for people who what to do this.:tu:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Cool, that was much easier than I thought! :tu: The mismatch would drive me crazy even in the short term, I wish I were more laid back :) Sure would make modding easier. Oh well.

I think without getting a good deal on the NAV like you did, it's hard to justify getting the stock unit over an aftermarket unit. I'm pretty surprised to hear that you switched from a Pioneer. I see the benefit of the stock appearance in terms of the unit curving with the dash, even though the huge knobs are a little passe, IMO. I think overall, the nav unit in the Tundra shows its age technology-wise as well as aesthetically. Wish they had updated it already so we could retrofit it! Lexus gets HDD, why not us? Grrr.

Instead of a cheapo overlay though, I'd just buy the 2009+ HVAC unit. Probably won't be more than $100, which is actually cheaper than the stick-on dash kit. :) I got my piano black auto HVAC unit from LKQ for $88.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, they're hard to come by... You can get them for around $1k on ebay (through member LKQ) although those ones will have a working CD player - that's the only reason this one was so cheap. If I had the extra cash I'd buy one of their 2008 Sequoia Nav units (which would match in color) but this one works for now, so I really can't complain.

ThirdH - I don't like the color mismatch either, BUT it was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm generally not a fan of the overlays, but there's a "brushed-aluminum" kit that I kinda like... it's only around $100 also, so I may give it a try.

And, the reason I switched from the Pioneer: I wanted the cash for some other MODS, which included new rims. I wasn't really using the Navigation all that much, but I DO miss the iPod integration of the Pioneer... however the Toyota unit is SOOO much faster to load & change functions.

Also, I did pretty well on the re-sale of my old rims, so I had a little extra cash to burn... that's why I picked up this Toyota unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
looks great, one thing at a time. Soon Mods - line-x, tires, black powder coat my rims, TRD muffler $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Overall looks sweet.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Tahir Mahmood Mallick sold me amp and wire harness for my truck (2001 Tundra) and I have 2008 Nav unit from Sienna and XM radio working for me in my truck. Only thing I need to upgrade is steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Yeah, they're hard to come by... You can get them for around $1k on ebay (through member LKQ) although those ones will have a working CD player - that's the only reason this one was so cheap. If I had the extra cash I'd buy one of their 2008 Sequoia Nav units (which would match in color) but this one works for now, so I really can't complain.

ThirdH - I don't like the color mismatch either, BUT it was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm generally not a fan of the overlays, but there's a "brushed-aluminum" kit that I kinda like... it's only around $100 also, so I may give it a try.

And, the reason I switched from the Pioneer: I wanted the cash for some other MODS, which included new rims. I wasn't really using the Navigation all that much, but I DO miss the iPod integration of the Pioneer... however the Toyota unit is SOOO much faster to load & change functions.

Also, I did pretty well on the re-sale of my old rims, so I had a little extra cash to burn... that's why I picked up this Toyota unit.
uh...did i miss the new rims thread????????

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wait 3rdH --- I think you'll be pleased with the new ones.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I see you pulled the trigger, congrats on the install! If I had to do it all over again I would have gone with an aftermarket head unit, just for the Nav.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Popo, All I can say is thanks for bringing me back to a point of indecision. I'm about two weeks away from installing the Kenwood DNX9960 w/ ipod controller, rostra back up cam, and new speakers. Had my mind all made up and now you go and post this!

Thanks Dude:)

p.s. can't wait to see your new rims.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry Coled!

Well, a quick update: I just added-on my Vais-Tech SL2i ipod adapter. I'll post up a pic review later, but it's definitely NOT as user friendly or quick-to-navigate as the aftermarket ipod integration.

It's much better than the Scosche setup, but due to the radio's limitations (it works GREAT for Lexus vehicles and the Prius Nav). Basically, I can browse by Playlist, Artist, Genre... but I have to go through each folder 1-at-a-time... once I'm in the folder I want, like "Country favs" then I can skip through the tracks pretty quickly and see the info on the screen.

The video reviews of the Lexus vehicles are really nice, and just as good as the aftermarket systems. I've heard that the 2010 models (Tundra nav) were upgraded, so I'll see if I can get my hands on one later to see if it works better.

----
SO - comparing this OEM Nav to aftermarket:

MAPS: Load just as quick, works as well (so far) but only has 2D mode (which doesn't bother me)
RADIO: Scans fast & has built-in RDS - what else do you need?
LOOKS: Overall looks better in the dash; Screen graphics aren't as nice.
Sound Q: Does fine for me... I'm gonna find a JBL Tundra Subwoofer to add & see how I like it.
Sound Add-ons: Not as good as aftermarket, obviously.
iPod Controls: Not as good as aftermarket.
CD-Changer: 4-disk... not available in-dash for aftermarket.
Bluetooth: Better than aftermarket.
Voice-Control: Works better than the aftermarket I've used.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
----
SO - comparing this OEM Nav to aftermarket:

CD-Changer: 4-disk... not available in-dash for aftermarket.
but but but.....

for a price I couldn't pass up (with broken CD-changer - no biggie, I'll use my ipod)
sorry just had to point that out...:D

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL - well, of course MY unit has a broken CD changer... which I'll probably have fixed eventually. But I would say the changer is an advantage for this (OEM in general) unit compared to aftermarket.

Does that suffice?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts