Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the mpg threads have been beating to DEATH, and this is not another how do I get better mpg. I just want someone with a 2000 ac thats running 33" tires to tell me what they are getting mileage wise to a tank? I was talking to lizard earlier today and mentioned that I'm around 260 to a tank. He was floored!! So after further discussion I too was a little baffled, maybe something is wrong?? You can all see from my sig how my truck is set up, I don't drive like a kid nor do I drive like an old blue hair woman, although some of the later have a HEAVY foot! I would like to know if I'm in the average or do I need to start looking for a problem. TB has been cleaned but needs it again, pvc valve has been changed in the last year, so have plugs a couple of coil packs, 1 or 2 o2 sensors, air filter is maintained along with all the basic maintenance. All in all my truck is well taken care of, it sees mud during the hunting season and the occasional SOS call, but no playing or heavy offroading. I have a thought that it could be the injectors, I have never had them serviced in anyway other than lucas treatment and that isn't on any type of routine, I've done it a handful of times the whole time I've owned the truck. I'm not looking for miles per gallon, I just want a general idea of what similar trucks are getting to a tank, rough guess, something to give me some direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cajun:

I've got a 2000 AC 4X4 with BFG 285 75 16 A/T's and have the Toytec 1.5" lift/leveling kit. Nothing else installed yet, but will be installing the JBA titanium coated headers soon. I typically get 360 miles per tank if I run it down to where I need about 20 or 20.5 gallons to fill back up. That's mostly highway miles running at 65 to 75 mph. I bought this truck with 200k on it from a buddy and now have 266k miles on it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I recently had problems with my Truspeed. It was adding miles to the odometer even when I was stopped. Maybe you have the opposite problem. You could bypass it, drive through a full tank, and see what you come up with for mileage. Or if you have a GPS you can use the trip computer on it to verify miles per tank.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
....Or if you have a GPS you can use the trip computer on it to verify miles per tank.
Yep, get a GPS unit and calculate like that (that way you will get true mileage on a tank)

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used my gps trip to track it and the difference was +15-20miles tops, my speed on my speedo and gps match along with 2 stand alone units, a tom tom and a garmin. My in dash unit is a kenwood with the garmin kenwood unit. All my speeds match and my gps trip is usually higher only on highway trips, the in town trip meter is only about a 7mile difference. I don't have any idea what is going on here, short of going to the dealership if there is a problem? By the answers I have gotten it seems like there is something going on that is causing the shortage of mileage. Even when I dropped tire sizes down to a 265/75r16 it didn't make enough of a change to make me want to stay with that size. The only thing I can think of is not servicing the fuel injectors? Could there be something wrong with the ecu to cause it to be off? And if it was the ecu shouldn't it have been giving some really off the wall dyno readings? When I fill up, I'm putting about 23gallons in the tank. I was getting this mileage as long as I can remember, before any mods, before this site ever crossed my mind. I never thought there was a problem until I talked to lizard today and he seemed shocked that my mileage was so low. Could there be something simple that you guys and me aren't even thinking about?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It could be a combination of your 4.30 gears and 4 speed trans. Maybe you don't have a problem. Hopefully some more guys will chime in with a similar setup as yours.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gears didn't change the fuel that much, the 430 made it better.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just tanked up and reset the odm and the gps trip so far they are tit for tat only went 7 miles. I'll post what it is towards the end of the week.

·
7,925 Posts
Hey Rew,

Still putting together a list for you but here is where I am at:

Mileage on my fill up this afternoon. Evenly mixed between city and highway driving. 2004 Double Cab with a four speed automatic transmission (four wheel drive) and I do not drive with a light foot. This is on less than 3 gallons of fuel burned. Oh - and this is with what I consider to be substandard gas from Speedway as opposed to the normal go-go juice from Shell.

Even if we assume 3 gallons of fuel have been burned it comes out to 19+ MPG after you factor in the 1.04 difference for the tire size. (55.2 x 1.04 = 57.4 miles) Going to push into 22+ MPG after the next set of mods.

Attachments

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check this out, I'm around half a tank and I'm at 150 miles give or take I looked at it earlier and did some driving since then. Before this tank, which is chevron supreme from the same station, I was constantly at 120ish in the same needle area. The one thing that I changed was the supreme, I have been using plus but because my chip is coming back this week I wanted to have the highest octane gas in my tank. Something I failed to mention earlier, about 6 months ago I was on the other side of town and realized I was on E, so I pulled into a circle K and tanked up with mid grade. I don't remember the mileage but is was a huge difference, enough for me to tell people about it, thats how I remembered CypressKnee brought it to my attention. I know gas makes a difference, I also know its not the same company truck that goes to the circle K that goes to the chevron by my house. There is a shell next to the chevron that too is supplied by a different company, maybe I'll switch? But I haven't always filled up at that chevron at one time it was a price game for me so I went to a lot of different stations.

Highwaylizard,
No rush, I know you have other business to tend to!

·
7,925 Posts
Check this out, I'm around half a tank and I'm at 150 miles give or take I looked at it earlier and did some driving since then. Before this tank, which is chevron supreme from the same station, I was constantly at 120ish in the same needle area. The one thing that I changed was the supreme, I have been using plus but because my chip is coming back this week I wanted to have the highest octane gas in my tank. Something I failed to mention earlier, about 6 months ago I was on the other side of town and realized I was on E, so I pulled into a circle K and tanked up with mid grade. I don't remember the mileage but is was a huge difference, enough for me to tell people about it, thats how I remembered CypressKnee brought it to my attention. I know gas makes a difference, I also know its not the same company truck that goes to the circle K that goes to the chevron by my house. There is a shell next to the chevron that too is supplied by a different company, maybe I'll switch? But I haven't always filled up at that chevron at one time it was a price game for me so I went to a lot of different stations.

Highwaylizard,
No rush, I know you have other business to tend to!
Hey Rew,

Playing when I should be working. At any rate - yes, gas makes a HUGE difference but not necessarily the grade of gas in my experience. There are certain Shell stations that I avoid like the plague. I always try to stick with toptier gas but just as importantly is finding a station that always has fresh gas as well as one with little to no ethanol content.

Gas degrades over time. The longer it sits in the underground tanks the lesser the quality and the poorer the mileage. I have kept insanely accurate records of my fuel economy and know what stations here have good gas. Stations that sell a lot of gas generally have better (fresher) gas and I get better mileage. The Speedway station I filled up at today is less than a mile from the breakout delivery farm and is on a busy street with a lot of business. I have been wanting to check out how their gas measures up and will continue to use it for awhile to see if it is consistent.

Here is an article I wrote about gas: Tundra Fuel Economy: Gasoline

and here is a Google where you can see the break out farm in relation to the location of the Speedway gas station I refueled at.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'm going to check it out. The chevron and the shell I'm talking about are at the I-10 exit, we have 2 hotels and a few great places to eat, not to mention the Harley Davidson shop, needless to say it's a busy spot. I tend to stay away from the stations out in the middle of no where, some of those shops probably have vars-all in the tanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I run 3.91 gears in my 2001 Tundra AC and in the city alone i can get about 260 miles to a tank, but im a lead foot and having such high gears with 33's dont help either. on the open road without hauling anything i can get about 330 miles at around 75mph. Im going to be changing to 4.88 gears in about a week so i hope my mpg dont go down.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
cajun~

Have you done all the basic servicing so as to eliminate it being a simple dirt/debris/buildup issue?, i.e:

- Clean MAF
- Clean intake throat/throttle plate
- Clean/replace air filter
- New spark plugs
- Clean PCV valve

Q: How many miles on your fuel/air sensors?
Q: How many miles on those M/T tires?
Q: What viscosity/brand differential oil are you running?
Q: How many miles on your fuel filter?
Q: Does it idle properly, i.e. in the normal range?

I don't see it as an octane issue as an unmodified ECU simply compensates for those sort of changes.

Just trying to think about all the peripheral things that affect mileage, even just a little...

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cajun~

Have you done all the basic servicing so as to eliminate it being a simple dirt/debris/buildup issue?, i.e:

- Clean MAF...Cleaned within the last 2 months
- Clean intake throat/throttle plate...Been about a year, could be cleaned again. Last time I cleaned it I noticed more throttle response and smoother idle, no change in mpg.
- Clean/replace air filter...Volant, blew it out about a month ago and it wasn't bad at all. It could hurt to wash and re oil, the time is what is keeping me from that one.
- New spark plugs...Plugs have about 20k
- Clean PCV valve...changed it right before I left for Hawaii, October

Q: How many miles on your fuel/air sensors? I guess you are referring to the o2 sensors? If so, I changed the left front about a year ago, the right front and right rear were done about 40k and I know the left rear has been done just don't remember when??
Q: How many miles on those M/T tires? Right at 15k, running 35psi and I check that weekly, they are also rotated around 4k as they will chop if I wait for 6k.
Q: What viscosity/brand differential oil are you running?..Shell/Rotella heavy duty gear oil 85-???. I asked my toyota tech if that was safe to run he said it'll be fine. Was think of the royal purple one day.
Q: How many miles on your fuel filter?....I changed the fuel filter about 2 1/2-3yrs ago, oe came off and we couldn't see where it was clogged or restricted
Q: Does it idle properly, i.e. in the normal range? Idle's low with the a/c off, low but not a stalling low and it's smooth, a/c on I would have to say around 900rpm, right around the first line.

I don't see it as an octane issue as an unmodified ECU simply compensates for those sort of changes.

Just trying to think about all the peripheral things that affect mileage, even just a little...

An update since the last post, I ran my tank down to where it took around 25.5 to fill. I added Lucas DEEP CLEAN, not the small bottle but a bigger bottle that was labeled as a complete cleaner. I noticed a little improvement on the second and third tank. I've consistently been getting mid to high 11 in town, 87 or 93 it really doesn't make a difference that I have noticed in my numbers. Those numbers have not changed with the install of the unichip. Right now I'm running my first full tank on map b, and should have those by Sunday morning. I also took a trip to New Orleans 2 weeks ago, on that trip I TRIED, tried being the key word, not to drive too aggressively. For the most part I set the cruise around 75 with the rpm's around 2300 and I ended up around 13.9mpg, there was some city driving with that but not much. Had I kept it closer to 65-70 I might have gotten high 15? My rpm's rise quickly over 70. Something to think about, I had to run a load of tires to Baton Rouge about 60miles to my destination, and ended up with a heavier backload. For the next few days I never had less than around 250-300lbs in my bed, delivering tires and picking up scrape tires. When I ran the numbers at the next fill up I was 12.45mpg. Most of the time I run empty or I'll have a load every couple of days, and I've be getting 11-11.7 , however this tank I filled before I left for Baton Rouge and I was loaded ( same station I always use) from the time I fueled up to the next tank my truck stayed loaded. Could the light bed and the lift cause more lift in the rear causing less traction to the ground, causing less mpg. I've been thinking of putting some sand bags in the back by the tailgate for a few weeks to see what numbers I come up with? Also, I put white gauges in my truck a few years ago after a failed attempt to install a radio and we fried the dash lights. This cover doesn't line up perfectly so when my needle is in the red my fill up is never more than 23.5 gallons. So could I be shorting my tank range by saying that I'm only getting 240ish when I'm not totally empty? My gas light quit coming on around christmas I think, I never noticed it quit cause for about 6months I was filling up at half a tank.

Thanks,
Rew

And yes I to think the lift is the root of the problem, you can have it for $500, but I'll need another $2gs to take it out. Don't worry though, the shipping will be free!!:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts