Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be taking delivery of one in about 10 days. Simple White/Black 5.7L SR5 DC.

1. Anything wrong with a 600 mile towing trip about 2 days after taking delivery? Pulling an '06 Mustang To/From Houston/Dallas for a race scheduled that weekend. I could just wait until it is broken in and borrow my pop's '03 4runner for the trip. My plan was to do an oil drain/refill with GOOD dino 5w20 at 1k miles, then switch to synthetic at 5k and beyond.

2. Opinions on specific clear bra kits? Looking to ebay a 3M kit and a weathertech headlight kit

3. Preferences on brake controllers? I know the Tekonsha Prodigy is the standard and even had a nice fit/mounting kit specific to the Tundra, but I'm thinking the Tekonsha P3 is the way to go...

4. Anything else I should be doing once I take delivery? Was planning on installing the brake controller and hitch ball mount, start towing immediately, and a full detail by a pro then installing the clearbra and LineX ASAP.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
simple white? no no no. its Super white hahaha.

anyway, should not tow for 500 miles. its not just the motor etc that needs to break in. thats what yota says to do and thats what i would do if i were you. now me? i came right home and pulled the boat out of the garage and towed...but its a rather small boat and not a car hauler...and not a long trip. i just went around the block for giggles.

3m is the best bra out there. i'd get it.

brake controllers have been beat to death here but since i dont have one or need one i havent paid attention...lots of useful info on these threads but someone will chime in im sure.

and congrats on the truck!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll see what I can do about getting some miles on it before towing. If I take delivery of it on Wednesday I can probably at least get about 200 miles on it before hooking up to the trailer. Each day I get it earlier I can put another 30 miles on it.

Forgot to add that I'm looking to do a 1k rear end lube change as well. As I understand there is a lot of crap in there from initial break-in that should come out? Figured just doing these 1k changes to the engine and rear end ought to help out a ton if I'm looking to tow right on the heels of break-in.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Thanks, I'll see what I can do about getting some miles on it before towing. If I take delivery of it on Wednesday I can probably at least get about 200 miles on it before hooking up to the trailer. Each day I get it earlier I can put another 30 miles on it.

Forgot to add that I'm looking to do a 1k rear end lube change as well. As I understand there is a lot of crap in there from initial break-in that should come out? Figured just doing these 1k changes to the engine and rear end ought to help out a ton if I'm looking to tow right on the heels of break-in.
if u can only get 30 miles a day on it u aint doing it right hha. take the LONG way home.....:) heck the shortest amount i can get by with each day is about 60 miles and thats going the straightest and closest way i can think of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went ahead and ordered the P3, along with the OEM alarm+GBS from trdparts4u. Truck needs to hurry up and get here!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Waiting is tough, looks like you are ready to scratch that itch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts