Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I know when i tell you the miles on this truck you guys are going to wonder why i bought it in the first place. 466,226 miles but the truck was still in pretty good shape till yesterday. The tranmission shifts good but after it shifts at lower RPM's then try to speed up thats when th shudder starts and then we shake rattle and roll untill i drop it a gear and RPM's pick back up then no shutter. it's a 2000 tundra extended cab 4x4. I've been told it's the carrier bearing to the convertor, and a whole new tranny. HELP!

Any help would be awesome! You would be helping out a guy with a angry wife when i told her the miles. Even with miles love this TRUCK!

Thanks J.J.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What, in all that's holy, possessed you to buy a vehicle with 466,000 miles on it?

Just for giggles, what did you pay for it?
x2.

I would expect it to at least be on its 2nd trans by now, if not its 3rd.

With that many miles its just smarter to have it rebuilt tbh.

·
Registered
842 Posts
yeah seriously, what did you pay for it?

i would take it to get a third opinion.

·
Registered
917 Posts
466K DAMN!!!!!!!! well if you bought it thinking you were going to get 200k of trouble free miles I have a bridge for sale. All kidding aside look for a used tranny from a 03-04 and be back on your way. You may want to line up a good used engine also. There maybe a low mile combo you can pick up.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't like being a negative nancy but really? 466,000 of someone elses miles? i can understand YOU Putting all of those miles on it, and having an emotional attachment to it, but in all honesty you probably could have gotten a vehicle with half of that for 100 more bucks lol.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you got it for about 4k or less I might understand... But 466k! Dayum! My old 00' had 215k when I sold it and I thought it had a ton of miles! You have more than double! lmao! I even saw a green 01' with 185k for about $4500 lol....:D

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
That's nearly a half-million miles ... nearly a round-trip to the moon. A new/rebuilt transmission is gonna be required. Probably a lotta other things, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We all know they are good trucks but that's putting a lot of faith in quality craftsmanship. I seem to recall, some time ago Toyota commercials with extraordinarily high milage vehicles on and asking to hear about other high milage vehicles. Maybe with all the issues they now have they might just want to promote a 10 yr old truck with half a mil on the odo?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Turn the overdrive off and drive around that way. It might buy you some time anyway, but sounds like a tranny/tc issue just like I'm experiencing. Probably happens to you around 35-45 mph when it is in overdrive.

About your purchase...if you're happy with it and felt you paid fair price, then case closed!

Good luck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well for all that want to know i paid 1500 usd the motor is all good but it is the problem with tranny i was thinking it might be the carrier bearing so i'll try that today and let you guys know what happen's

By the way what does a used tranny go for these day the cheapest in my area was about 650 and that was with 100k plus so if you know of supplier that you guys trust please let me know Thanks J.J.

sr5mike said to get an 03-04 tranny will those fit in my 2000?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Look for an 03-04 tranny. Toyota updated the planetary gears for these years. Should be able to find a good, decent mileage tranny in those years for $650 - 750.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info going to try to hit 750,000 with this thing. tha carrier bearing help a little bit but we're going to swap the tranny found an 03 with 40,000 for 500. I'll let you guys know what it looks like inside that thing wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
thanks for the info going to try to hit 750,000 with this thing. tha carrier bearing help a little bit but we're going to swap the tranny found an 03 with 40,000 for 500. I'll let you guys know what it looks like inside that thing wish me luck!
Good luck with your super duper high mileage tundra. We would love to see some pictures of this truck especially the odometer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
well for all that want to know i paid 1500 usd the motor is all good but it is the problem with tranny i was thinking it might be the carrier bearing so i'll try that today and let you guys know what happen's

By the way what does a used tranny go for these day the cheapest in my area was about 650 and that was with 100k plus so if you know of supplier that you guys trust please let me know Thanks J.J.

sr5mike said to get an 03-04 tranny will those fit in my 2000?
well, for $1500, It's a pretty damn reasonable price, I may have jumped on it too, knowing that a used engine and tranny would be about $2k more just in case,,,:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm at wifes families place for easter but i'll get some pics up and some of the odometer! i'll try to have them up by monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
524 Posts
One thing to note: with that many miles ANY rubber part is worn out and possibly bearings all around.

That means it would be a good idea to replace:
-body mounts
-leaf spring bushings
-front axle mounts
-motor/trans mount
-carrier bearing

Would be a really good idea to check all of these out, if anyone of them goes you get vibrations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts