Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drained and refilled my oil today in the 5.7 for the first time. I didnt change the filter because I only have 1500 miles on her. But, according to the manual, a drain and refill calls for 7.0 quarts of oil. So, I let her drain for about 10 minutes and refilled with 7.0 quarts. After checking the oil stick a few times, it appears that I have too much oil in my Tundra. The oil line goes over the fill line by about 1/8th (maybe a little more). Is this dangerous?? Should I drain some out?? I dont want to harm my new engine and plan to change the oil at 3000 miles....so, I will only drive with this much oil for another 1500 miles. But, I heard its dangerous to overfill so I am a little worried. Advice/opinions would greatly be appreciated......thanks

·
Banned
223 Posts
Such a small amount over full shouldn't be a problem. When you go way above full is when you will have a problem - like a quart too much will be a problem. Total fill I read was 7.4 quarts (including the filter). My guess is that the filter and housing probably hold 1/2 quart or a little more. My guess is you are maybe 6-8 oz over full. I wouldn't worry about it!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Not a problem.....I agree with previous post.

However, i put 8 qts in my tundra & it's slightly over the top line. That's with new filter.

I don't know if you read the posts about the type of oil though? I've read that synthetic is recommended & installed at the dealer. If that's the case, you'll be able to go 5000 miles on that oil easily.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Such a small amount over full shouldn't be a problem. When you go way above full is when you will have a problem - like a quart too much will be a problem. Total fill I read was 7.4 quarts (including the filter). My guess is that the filter and housing probably hold 1/2 quart or a little more. My guess is you are maybe 6-8 oz over full. I wouldn't worry about it!
:eek: :D Thanks Rusty! I was really worried about this. But, I will only have this much in it for another 1500 miles and change it out again at 3K with a new filter. Man, I looked at that filter housing today and it looks like a beast to get the filter out. Do you know what tools are involved and how labor intensive it is?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The oil filter is the element type and there is a drain plug at the bottom of the housing if you need to drain a little oil. Do a search on "Where is the oil filter located" and you will see a .pdf file on how to change the element.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you changed your oil you did not change the filter? Why? What if you had small pieces of metal in there from the break-in? Going thru the trouble of changing the oil yourself you might as well have changed the filter. New engine, remember? I believe the reason why you had an excess amount was because the oil filter consumes some of the 7.4 quarts of new oil you would have put in. The old oil was probably still in there and gave you the excess. You said you're going to change it at 3000mi. Change the filter, add the 7.4 quarts recomended and you should be kosher.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you changed your oil you did not change the filter? Why? What if you had small pieces of metal in there from the break-in? Going thru the trouble of changing the oil yourself you might as well have changed the filter. New engine, remember? I believe the reason why you had an excess amount was because the oil filter consumes some of the 7.4 quarts of new oil you would have put in. The old oil was probably still in there and gave you the excess. You said you're going to change it at 3000mi. Change the filter, add the 7.4 quarts recomended and you should be kosher.
Well, you make a great point and I have no argument against it other than to say that I was thinking that the filter was good for 3K miles. But, I never really thought about the pieces of metal being in the oil filter. Oh well, probably a waste of 7 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I guess we live and learn...:(

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Just dump the new oil into a clean container and put it right back into the motor after you change the filter, no sense in wasteing the 40 bucks. Just clean the drain area well before hand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Paul

You didn't waste any money. If you really wanted you can just pull the filter off without losing much oil and swap in a new one. All your nice clean oil should be sitting in your oil pan. If there is any contaminates in it, highly unlikely, your new filter will catch it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The purpose of an oil filter is to take out fine particles and should be good for at least 3000 miles. The amsoil filters recommended on TS are said after thousands of miles to make the oil cleaner than it went in. Change it at 3000 and you will be good. Check the manual if you are worried.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know what this special "SST" tool is that is needed to remove the oil filter?? Also, another member stated that you can get it at walmart along with the dealers, but I dont even know what it is...help:confused:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Does anyone know what this special "SST" tool is that is needed to remove the oil filter?? Also, another member stated that you can get it at walmart along with the dealers, but I dont even know what it is...help:confused:
It's a cup type oil filter wrench. I believe its a 65mm x 14 flute. Search Stripped Honda's posts. I think he gave the size.

Edit: It was FiveOh that posted it and the size is correct.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Another question...what oil did you use for your oil change?? The owners manual says 0w-20w for the 5.7...seems like a very low viscosity, especially for the high summer temps in Arizona!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another question...what oil did you use for your oil change?? The owners manual says 0w-20w for the 5.7...seems like a very low viscosity, especially for the high summer temps in Arizona!
I used Mobile1 5W-20 full synthetic. I have used Mobile1 for many years now and am a firm believer in synthetic motor oils. Good luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking at that PDF, how do you change the oil if you have the skidplate?
Toyota.com : Vehicles : Tundra : Accessories

Does the skidplate replace the plastic shield, and needs to be removed as well?
You dont have to remove the skidplate to change the oil as the oilpan is accessable. But, you do have to remove it when you change the oil filter. The removal is fairly simple.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.