Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my personal account of my 2000 Toyoya Tundra brake upgrade. All work was completed myself and parts were readily available after researching the Toyota TSB and parts stores. I had the local dealership run me a parts list and told them I was going to do the upgrade myself. Retail cost of all the parts required(hardware only) was a whopping $1738.29 with tax. I found that the main component in the TSB upgrade was a caliper that held a 5.3" pad instead of the factory 4.7" pad. More research revealed that the stock caliper had a stamped casting number S13WE, and the larger TSB caliper was casting number 13WL. The rest of the upgrade was brake lines, bearings, clips, bolts, seals, pins, axle nuts and dust covers. The $73 brake dust covers have a larger cutout for the longer caliper, and to be replaced required removal of the front axles, seals, bearings etc.. I found that if the stock brake dust covers were cut back about 3/4" that there was no need to remove and replace any of the bearings, seals, clips, etc.. involved in taking the axle off. The TSB bolts are shorter and the brake hoses allow factory fit to the upgrade calipers so I purchase those from Toyota($30 total). I purchased the rest of the parts from websites and local car parts stores. The Toyota parts guy told me that ALL parts on this list a required to do this upgrade, period(wrong).

Here is how I acquired the parts:

Toyota - 2 short brake lines for factory fit, 1/4" shorter caliper mounting bolts.
47315-0C020 - $8.90 - R front brake line (1)
47318-0C010 - $8.99 - L front brake line (1)
90080-10298 - $2.70 x 4 = $10.80 - Shorter caliper mounting bolts (4)

Total Toyota $30.12

www.Brakewarehouse.com - 13WL calipers - one for each side, different part numbers
141.44232 - $81.99 - 13WL remanufactured semi-loaded caliper (no pads)
141.44231 - $81.99 - 13WL remanufactured semi-loaded caliper (no pads)
Shipping - $33.15 UPS ground
core charge - $70 ea. - As of 3/1 increased from $55 to $70 each because returning a S13WE for a 13WL creates a shortage of cores, this is non-refundable since you would only have S13WE to return. (The Toyota calipers were listed at $414 each, so getting 2-13WL calipers at $337.13 total/delivered was reasonable to me.)

Total Brakewarehouse $337.13

www.Tirerack.com - Hawk LTS pads, 2 Brembo standard rotors (not drilled or slotted)
Hawk LTS pad set - $67.00 - Be sure to get FMSI D976 (5.3") use 2004 Tundra for proper listing
Brembo plain rotor - $63.00ea. X 2 = $126 - Identical to stock rotor size for 2000 Tundra
Shipping - $34.14 UPS ground

Total Tirerack $227.14

Total price for 13WL caliper upgrade parts was $594.39 delivered to my door, no tax due to internet purchases helped to wash out some of the shipping charges. All items arrived within 3 days of purchase.

I also later found the 13WL Calipers at Advance Auto(formerly Western Auto)

I have an email with some how to pictures I took and how the project went. If you are interested email me a request and I can send it to you.

After breaking in the new pads and turning and replacing the rear shoes, my brakes are much better now. I only have about 50 miles on the rebuild, so I will post an update later. I am going to start using my park brake more as I think the rear not adjusting properly was the cause of all lot of my headaches. My truck now has 99K on it and I have fought the front brakes every 10k or so. Hopefully this ends my problems.

A special thank you to PICASSO for his advice and help in this manner.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
TSB by yourself? i thought TSB's was only suppose to be done by a toyota dealer? dunno though...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am well past the warranty period and they wouldnt have paid for it so they(toyota) wanted over $2200, I completed the brake upgrade portion of the TSB without all the unnecessary (my opinion) parts. Just wanted those out of warranty to know they have options to pay $600 and have good brakes.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
oh i see. it wasn't the "actual" TSB correct? it was all the parts that was needed for the TSB.... i get it...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where is the caliper casting num. located? Can I spot it without pulling the wheel? I need to order some new pads for my 2000, which has almost 70K on the original pads. I'm probably going to get the Hawk LTS as well. Just don't know which I'll need to order.

Chris

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for posting such a complete write up...
I find pricing to be as important as down time on the truck for repairs at the dealer.
Thanks for the actual part #'s and what parts are not needed.

Please do keep us updated on haw well they are working for you.
I'm currently having no issues w/ front brakes, the rear????, I'm looking at hauling more weight, and more brakes would be nice with more weight.

thanks again
Repo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brakes are still great, I cant believe I lived with the brakes the way they were for so long. I probably have about 700 miles so far. No noises and firm smooth braking.
The casting numbers for the factory rotors are visible without pulling the wheel, look from the front and they are large raised numbers toward the front of the vehicle.
I am just glad to help others to not struggle through all the research.
Lance

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'd like to see the pics

Or, you could post them up on Picasa (Google Free pic posting site!) for everyone to see!

I tried to email you, but it says you don't allow emails.

-Garth

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I just got all the parts in for my new "TSB'd" brakes. The ceramic pads seem odd though. The actual shoe has a smaller shoe area than the back plate. I just want to make sure that I got the right pads. I haven't actully done the install yet so I haven't placed them back to back with the old pads. What tells me for sure that I have the correct pads?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I just got all the parts in for my new "TSB'd" brakes. The ceramic pads seem odd though. The actual shoe has a smaller shoe area than the back plate. I just want to make sure that I got the right pads. I haven't actully done the install yet so I haven't placed them back to back with the old pads. What tells me for sure that I have the correct pads?
Here's a link to one of the pics in my photo gallery that should help answer your question. Tundra Brake Pad Comparison

Good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the D812s have larger surface area, wouldn't you want to use them

Wow, now I'm confused.
If the D812s have larger surface area, wouldn't you want to use them????

I'm assuming from the pictures and description, you can't mix the D812 pads in the larger caliper, correct?
Jim

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
This is a very timely post.

I need to get some brake work done as well.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Why would they be illegal?? There are no restrictions, rule or certifications for after-market pad materials.
Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Casting NUmbers are visible without taking off a wheel

I just checked my 2001 Sequoia and the model number is visible without taking off a wheel.

1. Turn the steering all the way to the left or right side.
2. The model number is casted on the INSIDE of the caliper, on the front
leading edge - so if you stick your head inside the turned out wheel well
(toward the front bumper side of the wheel well) - you can make them
out.

I have old style caliper.

I took the wheel off anyway to inspect the pads and rotors. The driver's side rotor is scored. Not real bad, but my fingernail catches on it.
The pads have plenty of material -- seems like a full quarter inch of the center expansion cut visiblr.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
What size wheels do you have?

I have 16" (stock) wheels and I'm worried that upgrading to bigger calipers would require bigger rims therefore bigger (new) tires.

Please let me know because I am gathering courage to do this myself too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the stock 16" alloy wheels and had no problems. The upgrade calipers are stock on the 2003's and I believe they have the same stock wheels. Check with a dealer and make sure the stock wheels on a 2000 will fit a 2003 or 2004 and you will be fine.

Update, I have about 1300 miles on the upgrade and have not had one problem yet, brakes like a new truck.

Lance

What size wheels do you have?

I have 16" (stock) wheels and I'm worried that upgrading to bigger calipers would require bigger rims therefore bigger (new) tires.

Please let me know because I am gathering courage to do this myself too!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts