Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after some hard labor and reading a wealth of information I've finally finished....except for the rear chrome bumper of course.

All the prep work included much sanding and cleaning....and tons of taping off.

Used U-POL Adhesion Promoter and then U-POL Gloss Trim Black on the body side moldings.

Used 3M Rubberized Undercoating on the mirror covers, fender trim, front grill/bumper chrome strips and emblem and the center caps for my rims. Then coated them with the U-POL gloss trim black to make them dark black. The undercoating is soft still but I noticed that on the mirror covers it's finally like a hard plastic...it's been several weeks since doing them. It must take some time and a constant heat up/cool down cycle before it finally turns hard. I'm assuming this gets all the moisture out? Not sure but they're good and hard now, hopefully the same holds true on everything else.

Also, I debadged the truck. After 6 years, I was surprised that you can't tell where the badges were. Of course it took plenty of time. I used the fishing line technique and then used Goo Gone adhesive remover and finished with a clay bar and some wax...

Which then led me to clay bar the whole truck. I was amazed at the difference. It really helped remove the markings left behind from the badges and also some over spray I had on the doors when I painted the side mirrors.

Now that all those areas are complete, I still need to decide on what to do with the chrome rear bumper. I've found some black limited bumpers for around $200 on the internet. I'll probably just do a switch instead of going with a Line-X or Herculiner coating. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Looks real nice! One day I will finish blacking out everything on mine.
You need the black headlights, but not sure what happened to them on ebay, but that would sure complete the look as well.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,136 Posts
Looks very Kool!!! I especially like the grill! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
damn only in olean, im right in buffalo. not a big fan of the all blacked out look with like a flat color. i personally would have done everything body matched paint, but then again its not mine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is that the original paint or did you paint the truck? Looks really good and shinny. Mine looks dull ,here in fl . sun will kill any paint job in about 5 to 6 years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The texture isn't really a flat black. I painted over the undercoating with the same gloss black that I did the body side moldings. It's just the texture that gives it a different "reflection" so to say. Yeah its not high gloss like the rest of the truck but I think it makes it look more rugged rather than all for show. I wanted protection on those areas, not just paint.

Tint.....not gonna happen. The police here in NY are the worst. They love their tint meters and use them to excess. On the other hand, they usually only give you a fix-it ticket. So you'd have to pull the tint before your court date and have it approved by another Officer to avoid the fines. Not worth it to me.

It is the original paint and I get comments all the time on it. Many don't believe it's an 03 and ask how i've kept it in such good condition. I tell them I don't want any other truck so I keep this one in as good condition as possible. I'd take a new Tundra though!

I've just always been good about keeping it clean, especially in winter to keep the salt off...although that leads to lots of swirl marks and such. I used the clay bar for the first time and it made an enormous difference in the color. I was amazed at how well it worked. Once you put a coat of wax on there after the clay bar, it's just blinding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cygnus,
Your truck looks sick man, that is exactly how im doing mine. Thanks for the detail write up , let us know how the undercoating holds up on the front. I got my tundra debadged and painted the side piueces just havent had the time to do the front grill yet. WHere did you find the all black limited bumper you were talking about? Sweet truck though man looks great..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cygnus,
Your truck looks sick man, that is exactly how im doing mine. Thanks for the detail write up , let us know how the undercoating holds up on the front. I got my tundra debadged and painted the side piueces just havent had the time to do the front grill yet. WHere did you find the all black limited bumper you were talking about? Sweet truck though man looks great..

Just typed in "2003 tundra black bumper" into the search on Google. Result on Ebay was from a Toyota Dealer warehouse in VA that has them for $165 plus shipping ($36 for me.) I also called my own Dealership and they have them for $227 (plus tax.)

This is just the bumper....no mounting hardware or the plastic step pieces that snap onto the bumper itself. I'll probably go this route just because it's easier and I won't have to worry about trying to get paint/bedliner/undercoating to stick to the chrome one and worrying about it peeling off afterward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts