Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting tired of the look of my old billet grille and wasn't crazy about the other aftermarket ones available so I decided to mod a new one. I picked one up on ebay for about $60 and bought some stainless mesh from another online store for about $120.

I started by cutting out the cross bars.

I bolted it back in place and made a new bottom cross member out of a piece of 1/4" plywood. I suspended it off of the bumper just a bit so it wouldn't hit when the hood is closed. Then I glassed it to the shell.

I used two more pieces of plywood to build up the bottom bar the the desired thickness.

Next I used a little wire mesh to build up the sides to the right shape before glassing over them. Then I filled the gaps on the bottom bar with kitty hair. Sorry, I didn't take enough shots of this process.

After a lot more fiberglassing, bondo and a buttload of sanding I epoxied the stainless mesh onto the back, re-attached the hood latch and had a friend spray it for me.

I wanted something that looked a little more aggressive than the other Grilles out there. I think it turned out pretty good. Hope ya'll like it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
fishn101 thats one good looking grille :thumb: nice write up :becky:

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I like it, it looks good for my eye :tu:

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Turned out looking better than most mass produced ones I've seen! Great work. Any plans for the old grill? If you want to sell it I'm interested.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Creative and nice job! I like the new look.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That is one of the most awesome grilles I have seen for our trucks. Only thing I might change is adding lights as part of the grille, but would be slightly concerned about the blocked airflow.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice job, makes me want to copy you. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
WOW that is really nicely done. One of the best i have ever seen. feel like making another?:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad you like it. The latch is almost dead center in the middle of the bottom section. You still release by sliding your hand under the grille once it's released from inside the cab.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That looks like a whole bunch of work, but definitely worth it! Great looking grille! :tu:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As much as I liked making this, I probably wouldn't do another if you paid me with cash, pizza and beer. I love making something once but after that I get bored. I'm so anal it takes me forever to get anything done, well that and the beer breaks.. I had it painted 3 times before I was happy with it.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,144 Posts
Looks GREAT!

Couple of Questions.....what's "kitty hair"?

And what seller sold you the mesh> I'd kinda like to do my lower grille with mesh.

Thanks!

Now for a Beer Break!

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is the best looking grille I have seen for our Tundras, hands down. I have been dreaming up my perfect version of a grille and you pretty much nailed what I was thinking. I have always liked the Waltrip grille, but I don’t like that big, thick bar that sits up so high off the bumper. IMO, it makes the grille look smaller.

I really like how you opened your grille up and made it look bigger by putting the bottom frame of the grille closer to the bumper (kind of like the sequoia grille I guess). You are right, the lack of grille options for our trucks really does suck.

You sure you don’t want to make another? It should be so much easier for you the second time around. ;)

I might attempt something similar myself but I have never worked with fiberglass, so I am a little nervous. But I do have a spare grille lying around.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks GREAT!

Couple of Questions.....what's "kitty hair"?

And what seller sold you the mesh> I'd kinda like to do my lower grille with mesh.

Thanks!

Now for a Beer Break!
I got it at customcargrills.com. I would recommend buying the sample pack first. You get a small piece of all of their meshes (a dozen or so) and I think it was only $5. I think mine was the priciest but it was worth it for the stainless. Some of the samples look good online but were really flimsy.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Damn, thats pretty slick!! :tu::tu:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts