Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Crew Max and joined forum (pics)

After coming very close to buying a Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie I settled on a very nice Crew Max SR5 4X4 with the TRD package. I've always been a domestic truck guy but I am very happy with this truck. It feels solid and has great hp... very comfortable too! I would have liked to have gotten a sun roof but the power sliding rear is so cool it makes up for it! I'm getting the exhaust done in a couple days and can't wait to hear the difference (probably go with super 40 flows). The truck is like a slate gray color... looks dark gray at night but has a slight blue tint in the sunlight... very cool.
Anyways, just wanted to drop in and say hi! I'll post some pics later.:D

Edit for added pics with exhaust (50 series Delta Flow and they sound perfect!)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So, what feels solid about the CrewMax? I'm getting one, also, and have a Ram but I feel that when I close the doors, including the tailgate, it doesn't feel as solid as my Ram 1500. Others here have said the same thing. Also, the handle which you pull on to open the Tundra doors feels a little flimsy compared to the big one that you grab onto in a Ram and pull upwards - it fees like there is a metal bar in there. It bothers me some but I'm going to try to get used to it.

What's your impression?

·
Registered
237 Posts
After coming very close to buying a Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie I settled on a very nice Crew Max SR5 4X4 with the TRD package. I've always been a domestic truck guy but I am very happy with this truck. It feels solid and has great hp... very comfortable too! I would have liked to have gotten a sun roof but the power sliding rear is so cool it makes up for it! I'm getting the exhaust done in a couple days and can't wait to hear the difference (probably go with super 40 flows). The truck is like a slate gray color... looks dark gray at night but has a slight blue tint in the sunlight... very cool.
Welcome to TS new Toyota Tundra CrewMax Owner:tu:

My CrewMax is also an SR5 4X4 with the TRD package. Love the rear sliding window as well. I had that on my '04 DC and I'm happy it's available in the CM. Can't wait to see some pictures of your CM.

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, what feels solid about the CrewMax? I'm getting one, also, and have a Ram but I feel that when I close the doors, including the tailgate, it doesn't feel as solid as my Ram 1500. Others here have said the same thing. Also, the handle which you pull on to open the Tundra doors feels a little flimsy compared to the big one that you grab onto in a Ram and pull upwards - it fees like there is a metal bar in there. It bothers me some but I'm going to try to get used to it.

What's your impression?
I did a lot of test driving and research before my purchase. I was driving the Ram Hemi Big Horn, F-150 Lariat 4X4 and the Tundra DC 4X4 TRD. The Tundra DC felt a little light in the rear to me and like the suspension on the 4X4 was a bit stiff on the *** end. At first I found the view over the dash/hood to be a little weird because of how short the hood is. I also found the stereo and climate controls somewhat awkward with respect to their placement. These were minor gripes that were far outweighed by the thinks I liked in the end.

The F-150 felt solid and rode smooth but felt very heavy and sluggish after driving the other two. The Dodge was nice, rode smooth and had good ground clearance. Was not as quiet inside and the interior felt kind of cheap or chinsy. It felt pretty solid and performed well... was overall fun to drive but in the end the consumer reports and recent complaints of "shuttering" between 40-60 mph scared me off.

The Crew Max felt like it had the extra weight towards the rear to balance out the stiff TRD suspension. It rides smooth and feels weighted enough to make me feel like I'm in a solid truck. I've always been a Chevy and Ford guy but once I got past my minor gripes with the new Tundra it was clear this is a great truck. The tailgate does feel a bit light but I have to assume that is because of the assist.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just picked up my new CrewMax on Friday myself. What an awesome truck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just picked up my new CrewMax on Friday myself. What an awesome truck.
It was good Friday;)

I wasn't able to get pics last night because I got home too late and it's raining today. I will take some pics this weekend after I've had the exhaust done and post Sunday or Monday for anyone interested.

I'm also considering the 2" leveling kit for the front but I may pass on it and go for a different kit I was told about that gives 3 1/2" front and 2" rear. This would mean 20's and 33" Toyo or Nitto's mud or A/T's so I may wait for some extra $$ and more rim options before I go this route.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
added pics :D

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Re: Just got a Crew Max and joined forum (pics)

I love how you've angled your rear tailpipes. It looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Nice, looks really good. Also a big :tu: from another 50 series owner.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Congratulations!! Welcome to the site! The pics are great! I am debating myself between a CrewMax and a DoubleCab... it will be a close one!! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the compliments on the pipes, I wanted something different since so many look the same these days!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts