Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it from a dealer in Maryland, and it was shipped to WI this week. 63k miles, certified warranty, so I figured why not buy unseen. Price as about $5k better than anything local. Now I have 3k miles full warranty to iron out the bugs. First impression pretty good. Not a mint truck, but still cleaner than most I saw locally.

Within 10 minutes, I saw that I need to head to the dealer for a few things: sinking dash on the passenger side, plastic body piece below the passenger headlight is coming loose, and the front bumper plastic cover is not attached to anything below on the skidplate where three big connection loops are asking for bolts. REar hitch connectors corroded to dust. Big cut in the middle of hte passenger seat bottom. They didn't even vacuum the truck. Wonder what of that will actually be valid warranty items.

Throttle real touchy, so I figure I gotta complain about the pedal. I am used to a 4Runner with old slow 3.0 V6, though, so it may just be me.

Runs smooth, AC blows cold, life is good.

Tonight I gotta see if I can fit it in the garage... otehrwise the remote starter will get a lot of use in the winters around here, and I can get that leveling kit ordered... :D

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Good luck at the dealership. If they are anything like mine plan to leave it there for a few days. Congrats on the truck!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hey congrats on the truck man. I hear ya on the gas pedal, every time i drive our old Camry then go back to the tundra i always accidentally squeal the tires and smack my head off the back of the seat because that pedal takes some getting used too. haha.

Where you living in wisconsin? Im right on the cheese head border there, im in Northern IL. Haha

Im sure the truck will give you hundreds of thousand of happy miles to come, with any used cars im sure there are going to some minor issues...level lifts do make these trucks look d*mn good.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Oh and i almost for got....:worthless:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Wow, buying sight unseen! I am too picky for that. Glad there doesn't seem to be anything majorly wrong with the truck. Enjoy!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where you living in wisconsin? Im right on the cheese head border there, im in Northern IL. Haha

Im sure the truck will give you hundreds of thousand of happy miles to come, with any used cars im sure there are going to some minor issues...level lifts do make these trucks look d*mn good.
I'm in the Madison area.

Other than my '84 $WD pickup, this is the lowest mile Toyota I ever bought, so I expect many happy years from it :)

my old '86 Turbo 4Runner was at 280k when Isold it, the current 93 4Runner is running fine at 220k, the old FJ40 had over 100k on it, but none had the "sinking dash syndrome" :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, buying sight unseen! I am too picky for that. Glad there doesn't seem to be anything majorly wrong with the truck. Enjoy!
bought my '93 4Runner on ebay 9 years ago, based on 3 photos. Still love the truck today and will probably drive it as much as the Tundra.

Key on the Tundra was that it comes with certified Toyota warranty, and the first 3k miles of that means bring it to the shop and have it all fixed up. At least that's my plan. thing is, I am heading out on vacation in 3 weeks, so I gotta do all that right now.

Is it normal for the AC to blow cold even when the AC swith is off (no light)? I don't think so...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it fits into the garage! I peeled some drywall off the support beam, and there's 2" of air above. I can still remove a 3/4" piece of wood, so I already called the 4x4 shop in town for a quote on the Bilstein 5100 install to get the nose up a little - 2-2.5" max, just to keep some air above the cab :D. I don't want to take it too far since new tires will possibly lift it some more, even if it's just more tread than what I have now (ragged trail).

Don't have plans for larger tires or any other modifications, but who knows... I may just have to add another garage to the side of the house after all.

lenght-wise, this thing takes up the whole garage up to my little tool bench. Have to walk out the back to get around it...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
it fits into the garage! I peeled some drywall off the support beam, and there's 2" of air above. I can still remove a 3/4" piece of wood, so I already called the 4x4 shop in town for a quote on the Bilstein 5100 install to get the nose up a little - 2-2.5" max, just to keep some air above the cab :D. I don't want to take it too far since new tires will possibly lift it some more, even if it's just more tread than what I have now (ragged trail).

Don't have plans for larger tires or any other modifications, but who knows... I may just have to add another garage to the side of the house after all.

lenght-wise, this thing takes up the whole garage up to my little tool bench. Have to walk out the back to get around it...
If you put a 2.5" lift and tires that are 2" larger diameter that will raise the truck a total of 3.5" give or take a little because tire size vary even within the same size. Given that I wouldn't expect to get that thing in the garage anymore with only 2.75" to spare. Just something to keep in mind. I know if I had a garage I wouldn't park in it anyway, i don't know why I just don't mind parking in the driveway. But, if you have your heart set on parking inside I would stay away from the lift and tires....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, it doesn't look that good after all. $1500+ in front end damage due to an undisclosed accident. Working with Toyota right now to have the selling dealer cough up the cash, since "certified vehicles" really shouldn't be sold like that. Interesting part in all this is how little Toyota claims they can actually do for me, but that's still early in the discussion here. I may need to get that attorney involved after all, since my local dealer has been unable to get any concessions from the selling dealer and Toyota feels they calls all this a "pre-existing condition" so my fancy warranty is worthless. Still leaves the whole certified "peace of mind" inspection claims as contestable items.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know if I had a garage I wouldn't park in it anyway, i don't know why I just don't mind parking in the driveway. But, if you have your heart set on parking inside I would stay away from the lift and tires....
I am starting to see it that way, too - the garage is too cramped if I do park in there. Right now I got other things to deal with though. Amazing how much cash they want for a plastic bumper cover and a fwe pieces below it... I now can see how people end up with fancy winch bumpers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts